Healthy snacks to bring to school?

Options
I'm a college student and sadly most of the food at our canteen isn't the ideal type of food I want to eat especially since I wanna lose weight. Any ideas on what snacks or food I can bring to my school for lunch break?

:glasses:

Replies

• heidimaggott78
    Options
    Fruit is always good. Biltong (or jerky). Yoghurt if you have a small cooler bag. Crudite with hummus or cottage cheese. Wholewheat grilled chicken sandwich. Protein bars .
  • Linnews
    Options
    I always bring a portion of chopped vegetables, to resist the temptations. When I've achieved something or need an award I bring chopped fruit :smile:
  • jaly92
    Options
    Fruit
    Dried Fruit
    Pasta Salad/Potato Salad
    Salad with lean proteins/hard boiled egg
    Sandwiches on w/m bread
    Celery/carrot sticks with low-fat cottage cheese/houmous (wholegrain crackers?)
    Nuts
    Granola/cereal bars (watch out for processed crap and added sugar - the 'eat natural' range are good)
    Yoghurt (again, watch out for the sugar level) with fruit perhaps?
    Seeds

Some ideas:
    http://www.wholeliving.com/136112/best-snacks-take-work/@center/136761/healthy-snacks
    http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/diet-fitness/health/busy-girls-guide-quick-healthy-work-lunches-food
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/cheap_healthy_lunch_ideas_for_work
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I find protein drinks and protein bars are a good option. Protein drinks are filling and don't need to be cold.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You can possibly do ahead juice ,smoothies, sorbets, frozen yogurts, salads in a jar, cheese sticks, jerky, home made jerky, popcorn, nuts,seeds ,fruits. ..fruit salads. .dried or dehydrated fruits & or vegs. Avoid sodium snacks that are processed. Hope this helps a little. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • KatKirwan
    Options
    Thank you guys for the ideas. I just arrived from the grocery and I bought a week's supply of food for lunch :)
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Most foods you can think of that aren't deep fried are healthy in moderation.

If it's a plant: eat it.
    If it's a whole grain: eat it.
    If it's lean protein: eat it.
    Eat a little healthy fat. That means fat from plant sources.

Really, your options are nearly limitless. You don't need to eat the prototypical "health foods". This week I am making shiritaki noodles. They're super low calorie noodles. I'm going to stir fry (with not much oil) them with ****akes, cabbage, lots of garlic, green onions, and lean pork. So basically I'll be eating lo mein that has the calories and fiber of a salad. A couple of days ago, I had two tablespoons of hummus on multigrain toast triangles, and 1/4 of a boiled egg on top of each. That was a better combination than you might think! I'm going to repeat that experiment.

What I'm trying to say is, being healthy isn't eating a bunch of boring food known best to gym junkies who can't cook, it's buying groceries that aren't utter crap, and combining them in interesting ways.

Edit: Seriously? I can't say sh!take mushrooms? That's a bit aggressive there, profanity filter!
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    Grapes, Cheese and crackers, greek yogurt, bananas, apples, peaches,
  • CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Any type of fruit/veggies are optimal, I bring at least 2-3 snacks with me per day (: Hard boiled eggs & yogurt are another favorite of mine too!