protein sources for breakfast??

Options
Ok... I've noticed that if I eat a GOOD breakfast I am much happier until lunchtime and more likely to stick with whatever I've packed for lunch and less likely to raid the deli counter at the grocery store next to my office. :) However, I can only drink protein shakes every day for so long and I'm not crazy about eggs. I'll eat them once or twice a week but I won't enjoy it. :) So what else can I eat for breakfast that is easy to make and is a good source of protein? I've tried upping the fiber in the am but that doesn't keep me full like protein does. Help!

Ok I just noticed I'm still logged in as my husband... hahaha.... this is Amylynne26.

Replies

• emilehgrace
    Options
    One of my favorites is a bagel/toast with peanut butter on it. It's a good source of protein, and it's very filling.

A cute idea for that would be to top a cinnamon-raisin bagel with peanut butter and raisins. It's very filling and delicios!
  • laurenashley923
    Options
    weight control instant oatmal has 7g of protein and 6 g of fiber for only 160 calories that with some yogurt keeps me filled until lunch :)
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt - I like it mixed with some chopped up frozen berries. Very high in protein and low in carbs.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As far as eggs, I'm not a big fan of them scrambled, but I've realized I really like them overeasy, with some wheat toast. Maybe you'd like them if they were cooked a different way? I also like steel cut oats with a tbsp. of natural peanut butter, and honey.
  • Crysti
    Crysti Posts: 17
    Options
    Being cold and lazy this morning, I discovered a scoop of protein powder is delicious in hot cocoa. You can find some good, low-calorie powdered cocoa. It's not necessarily the most hearty breakfast, but a fun way to get a little extra protein.
  • MotorCityHippie
    Options
    Morningstar brand makes a good variety of fake meat-- it might sound gross but it's all soy-based and IMHO pretty tasty. They have sausage patties, sausage links, and bacon. You can find them in the freezer section.
  • Questfor250
    Options
    My suggestions are:

1. Steak - a nice small filet of 4 ounces is only 270 calories and loaded with protein.
    2. Peanut Butter/ Banana Sandwich. 2 tablespoons PB on multi grain bread and stick a banana on it.
    3. Turkey Sausage
    4. Egg Sandwich with a 1/4 of fat free cheddar. Salt and pepper and maybe lite mayo helps ease the eggs in.
    5. Have you consider cheese omelets?
    6. Try Eggbeaters. only 30 cals for 1/4 cup.

That is generally my morning routine.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I second peanut butter and banana sandwiches! SOOO yummy and filling. They taste like candy to me!
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    instant oatmeal w/peanut butter scooped in after you've cooked it. you get that yummy melty peanut-buttery goodness going on, and it fits the bill for carbs, proteins, and fats. =)
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I second the Mornigstar recommendation, they are yummy, just watch the sodium, its pretty high. But I love Luna Bars, and Clif Bars. The luna Bars don't have as much calories though, but I love the Peppermint Stick, tastes just like a girl scout cookie.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast" food. What do you eat for others meals that gets good protein in? Eat that for breakfast. Nothing wrong with a turkey sandwich on whole wheat for breakfast.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake. Or I will make an egg white omlett with some lean ground turkey and loaded with veggies! (since I work at 7 do the protein shakes before work, on the wknds I'll make the omlett).
    I agree... you don't have to have breakfast foods!

You could do a piece of toast with peanut or almond butter and a yogurt.
  • CreativeOne
    Options
    I will sometimes eat one hard boiled egg for breakfast. However, I like to eat half of a whole grain/whole wheat english muffin with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Oatmeal is a good one too! I have to be quick with my breakfast as I have two little ones and have to get to work. Kashi makes some great stuff if you haven't tried them. They have some wonderful bars with good protein and it is all good/natural ingredients. Good luck!
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Light FF Yogurt with about 1/4 c. raspberries, 1/8 cup granola and 1-2 Tablespoons walnuts. The fat in the walnuts is what keeps you full - for at least 4 hours. This is only about 290 calories - you won't need to eat again until lunch!