New Lunch Ideas

Options
Im looking for new lunch ideas as all I usually have is sandwiches for lunch or the odd bowl of home made soup. Occassionally being bad and going to the hot food counter in Morrisons (1 day in every 2-3 weeks so not regular).
The office does have a microwave to re heat food.

Im happy to make something at home, freeze it and defrost it for that day so I am looking for some quick ideas. Im not a big fan of salads for a meal.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you've got a microwave you're laughing!

I always make leftovers at evening meals, and then freeze individual portions in little tubs. At the weekend I usually clear the fridge out of any veg that need using up, and turn them into a big stew. I often add a tin of beans (kidney. borlotti, chickpeas, anything) fpr protein. Or some leftover meat if I have any.

Last weekend we made a beef bourgignon, which had lots of leftover sauce. I cooked some grain (bulgur, barley stuff) in the sauce, and froze that. It's lovely for lunch!
  • madpanda
    Options
    Thanks Melanie, I was thinking that as we usually knock up a cottage pie/shepards pie and half half one night and the rest the next night. So I could freeze some of that.

I just need other ideas and I have been looking on websites but not seen anything I fancy.

Getting a bit fed up of sandwiches to be honest.
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    I always buy a fresh chicken on Friday night. Roast it Saturday morning then spend a few hours cooking curries, chicken chiili, chicken soup and make stock with the carcass. Make up loads of tubs and put in the freezer. Sorted for the week. Kidney beans and harricot beans bulk it out a bit so its quite filling.
    I use the stock during the week to cook my bulgar wheat in.
  • CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're a big fan of soy, but I always cut up half a pack of tofu and then have a bag of frozen edamame to heat up - it's delicious and filling! Canned chicken and packaged salmon are also big for me cause it's easier to transport, but tupperware can help if you cook a packaged chicken/salmon the night before and just heat it up the next day.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Soups/stews in a thermos
    I have been making the best lunch the past week. I take half a 6 inch sub bun, shred up 2oz of chicken, mix in 1 tbsp of Diana Original BBQ sauce, put that on the bun, shred up 1oz of cheese, put on top, toast in the oven. SO good!! I don't know if that would apply where you don't have a method of warming it up... hmm

Home made chicken strips and a little cup of dip? I can eat chicken cold/lukewarm, so I don't mind it!

Tortilla/Pita pizza.. pizza sauce, chicken/ham/meat of choice, veggies of choice, cheese, pop in the oven, and melt cheese/toast base, and then take that with you.

Leftovers for sure!

Days I was desperate, I'd take a meal replacement shake, and a bunch of snacks..

**Edit, sorry I read it wrong, I thought you said NO microwave! jeez!! that opens a whole new world!! lol
    Once or twice a month I let myself have a frozen dinner, but they don't fill me anymore!

if you have left-over rice and veggies.. and chicken (but not a must), 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, mixed with garlic and cayenne, makes the BEST sweet and sour sauce for rice!!
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    google Jamie Eason's turkey muffins! they are so easy to pack up for a lunch. Get some of the steamfresh veggies and divide them up into portion sizes. Cook up a sweet potato for your carb and there you have a well rounded meal!

I also like to make a big pot of Taco Soup on Sundays and take that a couple of times a week.
    I cook up chicken and buy some stir fry veggies and low sodium soy sauce.

Turkey burgers are another one of my favorite lunches. I eat them on Ezekiel bread with some spinach, mustard, pickles. YUMMY

find the Ezekiel wraps or pita pockets. and grill some chicken strips to put on, load it up with veggies! Delicious!