BMI - Obese

Options
2»

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Not obese but it's not surprising. It's long been established that BMI is a good, but imperfect guide. According to the BMI guideline, Patriots QB Tom Brady is overweight in theory.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I used to be fat but it didn't take a BMI calculation to know that. I used a mirror. But, the BMI scale said I was fat too.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My husband is also considered to be overweight by BMI. Our doctor has told him that for athletes/fit people the BMI is not a good indicator of health. Since they/you are so muscular, your weight is higher. We all know that muscle is more compact and therefore heavier than a like volume of fatty tissue. You look GOOD! Like an above poster, I say focus on the fat percentage versus BMI.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My boss and me were talking about the stupid BMI chart today, It's dumb, He is SOOO not even obese (very fit). It says for my height 5'10 I should be 125-169lbs and I would never come anywhere close to 125lbs and if I did you would think I had aids.

Where do you get the 125Ibs for 5'10 ?
    According to charts I have come across, even at 126Ibs at 5'10, my bmi is only about 18.1. 18.5 is the minimum.
  • banks89202
    Options
    My boss and me were talking about the stupid BMI chart today, It's dumb, He is SOOO not even obese (very fit). It says for my height 5'10 I should be 125-169lbs and I would never come anywhere close to 125lbs and if I did you would think I had aids.

Where do you get the 125Ibs for 5'10 ?
    According to charts I have come across, even at 126Ibs at 5'10, my bmi is only about 18.1. 18.5 is the minimum.

Unless I typed mine in wrong It told me to be in the "healthy range" on this site is 125-169lbs at 5"10 (maybe thats why it shocked me to see it saying somone that is 5"10 should be 125, if i put it in wrong.)
  • banks89202
    Options
    I just did it again and it says

Target weight range: 128.9 - 174.3 lbs ( I would never get down to 128.9lbs either)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    BMI sucks for people with more than average lean mass. I'm qualified as overweight by BMI and athletic by body fat %. I try not to let it bother me, but it does a little... just because I wish I couldn't possibly be labeled as overweight.
  • banks89202
    Options
    BMI sucks for people with more than average lean mass. I'm qualified as overweight by BMI and athletic by body fat %. I try not to let it bother me, but it does a little... just because I wish I couldn't possibly be labeled as overweight.

Me too! I guess I will always be considered overweight! lol
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    While the BMI may be off, your body fat percentage is rather high for a man and also puts you in the obese range but just barely.

Men
    Age Healthy Range Overweight Obese
    20-40 yrs 8-19% 19-25% Over 25%
    41-60 yrs 11-22% 22-27% Over 27%
    61-79 yrs 13-25% 25-30% Over 30%

Remember, obesity isn't anything more than a medical term to categorize your body mass for medical purposes. People often assign emotional value to it or try to redefine in some other way, but all it really means is your BMI exceeds a certain value. Of course, what comes with that is increased long-term health risks associated with obesity, so I think it's a good idea to try to make it a goal to get that down (especially since your body fat % is also high). If your BF were low and your BMI high, I'd say don't worry about it, but that's not the case here.

I think setting a goal to reduce your bf% would be in order.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Height: 6 feet, 5 inches
    Weight: 270 pounds
    Body Fat: 26.5%

Your BMI is 32, indicating your weight is in the Obese category for adults of your height.

My body fat is 26.5%. People say I look good at this weight but according to the CDC I am Obese. I would defintely like to loose more body fat and get in the 18-22% range.

Look at my pictures... Would you call me Obese?

No, you aren't. This is why I call BS on BMI; here are other factors there. BMI is just a ratio between weight and height and doesn't take into account bodyfat or muscle. I mean, if you want to get all technical and stuff 26.5% BF is teeeeechnically "overweight," but jesus- OBESE? FEH!! No way!
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    BMI to me is a load of crock. It doesn't take into account of anything. It considers a friend of mine obese and he's nothing but a brick wall of muscle.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    You've clearly already heard the fact that your pics look great and obviously you have lost a lot of weight and must be very proud of that. It must have been a bummer to look on a BMI analysis and find out you still fit in the obese category. Let me tell you what professional athletes know: That chart does not apply to them. It's helpful for some people in some ways but it obviously doesn't give helpful (or truthful analysis) because it works on height and weight and doesn't take into account the fat/muscle ratio.

Just shake your head and walk away knowing that chart isn't made for someone with your physique and you can get some deeper truth by getting your body analyzed for how much fat v. muscle you have if you haven't done that already.

You look great, you've worked hard. If you have further to go, then keep at it and don't let this kind of thing make you stumble. :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Try using the lean BMI calculator, which is for people of your build:

http://www.askdocweb.com/bmi4lean.html

That one gives you a lean BMI of 27, and says 'You are considered "Hefty" and should find ways to lower your weight, through diet and exercise.' That sounds about right, from looking at your pics.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    BMI works great when looking at populations. When looking at individuals it can get sketchy. That said, 25% BF would be way to high for me.

I am athletic, 191lbs and 6'2". I still have a bit I can lose I am in the 17-18% range
  • b1g_tun4
    Options
    Try using the lean BMI calculator, which is for people of your build:

http://www.askdocweb.com/bmi4lean.html

That one gives you a lean BMI of 27, and says 'You are considered "Hefty" and should find ways to lower your weight, through diet and exercise.' That sounds about right, from looking at your pics.

Hefty...Chunky...Big Boned....LOL
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Don't take it too seriously. It is just a number that really has little meaning in our world.
    BMI calculations do not take into account that part of the weight can be higher than average muscle mass.
    I can point out several very buff, fit lifters who rank in the obese category.
    You are better off paying attention to that body fat percentage... and how many heads turn when you walk past in your best jeans!