What's the best HRM?

Options
Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I really want a good one. I may have to ask for it as a gift, but I really need to be able to record my HIIT and kettlebell workouts and circuit training doesn't do them justice. I want to see the reality in how many calories my walks burn as well. Sometimes I think MFP overestimates the calories.

Replies

• eduardoschoen
    Options
    There are many different brands and models. Each one has its own purpose. I use a Polar RS300x which has been custom configured to the results of my metabolic testing, VO2, Max HR, aerobic threshold/ anaerobic threshold, etc.

Check out the model comparison tables on Polar.com to see if that will help narrow down your decision. :)

Have a great day and good luck in meeting your goals!
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. I have had mine one week and I can't workout without it. Dead simple, heart rate / time / calories burned. I got the FT7 with the Polar Link to be able to upload to the web and keep track of everything.

MFP certainly overestimated my burns...sometimes I think a HRM underestimates but I'd rather err to the side of underestimation.

I just got back from my rest day 5k and I'm still wearing it as I type...

Amazon for about 70 bones.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have the PolarFT4 and i love it. Its perfect for me since i have a smaller wrist ( its hot pink). It comes with a chest strap. I wear it for every exercise i do. More spot on than MFP for sure. Think it was about 80 dollars at Best Buy. Its one of the best things i have bought since i started exercising.

My husband has the FT7 and loves it also.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I started with a Polar FT1 but really too basic and a nightmare when battery needs replacement.
    Now using Polar FT7 and it's miles better. Very happy with it.
  • justmetookie
    justmetookie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. I have had mine one week and I can't workout without it. Dead simple, heart rate / time / calories burned. I got the FT7 with the Polar Link to be able to upload to the web and keep track of everything.

MFP certainly overestimated my burns...sometimes I think a HRM underestimates but I'd rather err to the side of underestimation.

I just got back from my rest day 5k and I'm still wearing it as I type...

Amazon for about 70 bones.

This^^ Love my FT7. Wear it even on non work out days, no chest strap of course.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I've written that down. I hope to start P90X soon (if I can stomach getting up at 4:30) and I really want to accurate numbers. I agree also about erring on the side of lower. My weight has been at a standstill but I am looking better. I think MFP is overestimating my burn.
  • lewis350
    Options
    Have a look at Polar FT60, it's awesome! :)
  • JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    P90X is quite a challenge. But stick with it, you'll definitely see results.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Just hit my 3rd mini goal, my gift to myself is a HRM as well! This feedback is very helpful!m
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I got a FT7 as a gift a couple weeks ago and I have been super happy with it. I did quite a bit of research and it seems to be the best intersection of features for the money.
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it gives me the basics that I need.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    P90X is quite a challenge. But stick with it, you'll definitely see results.

I can't order it (says my budget) for around a week, so I am not doing it just yet. I guess it is worth getting up at 4:30, yes?
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I guess it is worth getting up at 4:30, yes?

I've been doing it for 5 years and I'd still get up at 4:30 to do it.