1000 calories a day!

Options

Replies

• mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I keep having this recurring thought that the doctor knows good and well that he's telling her to do something she probably won't/can't do. She might TRY for a week or so, then fall off the wagon, then he'll say "she had no self discipline" and blame the failure on HER. 1000 cals a day is hard to do long-term. I can't do it. I'd lose my willpower after 2-3 days and start eating everything in sight.
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    Focus on the nutrition aspect. Eat WHOLE foods, clean foods. Nothig processed or trans fatty. 1000calories is extremely low. What is the actual purpose of having your calorie intake so low?

Instead of focusing on calories, you should be focusing on GOOD foods, eating them when you are hungry, smaller portions throughout the day.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    get a new doctor.
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me

He acted like he didn't hear you when you asked for a second opinion? That's warning bell number one. I'd find a new doctor.

HOWEVER, if you're dead set on 1,000 calories a day, go to the myplate.gov website and follow the diet they have for preschoolers. That's what I do for my almost two-year-old, who is also eating 1,000 calories a day.

Deffinitely see a nutritionist. Doctors(most times unfortunately) do not know crap about the actually aspect of good clean nutrition. Second opinion needed!
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think if my doctor had put me on a 1000 calorie a day diet I would have asked him/her what I was supposed to eat !!

My doctor put me on a 1000 calorie a day diet and I'm having a hard time finding meals to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yup...why is the doctor putting you on that low of calories???? This could work if you make almost everything you have full of protein...and that wouldn't be easy, but could be done.
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Lol @ everyone who thinks they know more than your doctor

Exactly!

You should really get connected with a dietician/nutritionist. They will help you get going in the right direction, at least until you can figure it out on your own to continue it. Portion control is an absolute must when trying to cut calories and selection is truly the key to ensure your body gets everything you need. Lean cuts of meats, reduce and practically refrain from fruit juices (even the no sugar added ones)--eat fruit vs drink 'em, load up on the vegetables and cut back on potatoes, breads, and pastas. Be mindful in how you prepare your foods. Bake rather than fry, utilize a crock pot or grill...If you eat out frequently, may want to put that on hold until you get your portions under control and have a firm handle on what to eat and avoid. Otherwise, you'll consume your day's target in that one sitting.

As to everyone who is sold out on the "starvation mode" theory...How does it work for bariatric patients exactly? They manage quite well on 1200 cal or less diet while exercising & working & raising families for quite some time, many quite successfully years out... The only things that are "exact" about losing weight across the board (in spite of genetics, race, culture, etc) is to cut back, watch portions, and move. How much or little and when is evidently dependent on each and every one of us as individuals. All else are assumptions, theories based on a minute number of the population, and well, plain dumb. GIVE IT A REST!!!

The rest of you questioning the OP's provider... The OP didn't question if he/she ought to get a new doc, but how he/she is to stay within this 1000-cal parameter set.

OP, it is possible to do and do it without feeling starved all day, but it will take time & patience, trial & error.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    TRUTH! OK, you CAN eat 1000 cals per day and Lose a LOT of weight IF you can STICK TO IT! Find the reasoning behind your doctor's choice; You might decide that you need a Nutritionist if it is ONLY weight you need to lose and NOTHING ELSE IS INVOLVED.

What a LOT of these people on MFP DO NOT GET is that some people MUST lose weight QUICKLY for OTHER MEDICAL REASONS. Most of THESE people are soooo Superficial that they think Everyone is trying to lose weight to fit into a size 0 or look good in a swim suit. I venture to say MOST people are trying to lose weight for some type of Medical Reason. I have been there and stuck to 1000 cal and corrected My medical problem. Also, do NOT buy into all that "Starvation Mode" CRAP and all the other "Crazy" stuff you WILL hear here. If the weight loss is needed quickly for medical reasons, DO It and stick to it, correct the problem. THEN get a better eating Plan that you can STICK with For LIFE.

:drinker:
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ummmm, yeah! that CANNOT be healthy for anyone?!?!?!
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    1000 calories ?! That is crazy. Your metabolism will be ruined! It is way too low. Get a new doctor please.
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would start by eating the dr.

HAHA.

^^^^this!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Totally! Way to ignore the OP's question entirely and offer "advice" that you're not qualified to dispense. Honestly.

To answer the question, the suggestions to see a nutritionist seem completely logical, as do the lean meat/veggie suggestions. I'd also try going to your local library or bookstore and looking for low-calorie cookbooks (I'm guessing you don't cook much or you wouldn't be asking for meal suggestions.

Additionally, here are some everyday changes and additions you might be able to use:

1. Try almond milk instead of regular. Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla is my favorite for cereal and coffee, and has only 40 calories in a whole cup.

2. Try shirataki noodles in place of regular pasta. They're usually in the produce or dairy section, where they keep the tofu, won ton wraps and fresh Asian noodles. Rinse them well and boil them for a few minutes in salted water and use them in place of regular noodles with your favorite sauce (try making a meat sauce with ground turkey, spices and tomato sauce -- jarred spaghetti sauce is often full of sugar). Some people find them "slimy", but they're only 40 calories for a BIG serving and I like them fine. Do a search in the recipe section here and you'll get a ton of ideas for other stuff to do with them.

3. Oatmeal is your friend. Use the old-fashioned kind to get the full benefit of all of the fiber. It only takes a few minutes and is so worth the tiny bit of extra time. Great with almond milk and half a banana or a few raisins. Also good with savory stuff -- I have a girl friend who makes all kinds of salty yummy concoctions with oatmeal for dinner. Experiment!

4. Watermelon is still in season and is really satisfying for very little calories and has an insane amount of fiber (who knew?) Get a small one or half of a big one and cut it into cubes for an easy snack when you get those uncontrollable munchies.

5. Cucumbers are another great go-to for those times when you just HAVE to eat something. I like the little Persian ones, but they go bad really quickly. The seedless English kind (that come shrink wrapped) are also really good -- both varieties are pretty much seedless. I just slice them and have them with a little salt and a sprinkling of vinegar or lime juice. Very satisfying and almost no calories.

6. Obviously water, water, water, water. And then some more water.

7. Herbal and decaf tea helps me a lot. Find a few flavors you like and try them with a little almond milk. I also use Splenda in mine, but you need to evaluate artificial sweeteners for yourself -- lots of controversy here on the boards about those, so I cannot recommend. A cup of tea right before dinner helps me to stay away from the glass of wine I really want and also curbs my appetite at dinner.

Good luck and kudos for going to the doctor and getting on a supervised program!
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    my doctor has me on 1200 calories a day. and i'm doing just fine. i eat chicken, fruits veggies, water .i've lost 26 lbs since july since she put me on it. i don't fee like i'm starving at all. plus i exercise 7days a week walking and jogging 5miles, lifting. and i'm fine. you learn to adjust.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested can friend me and take a peek at my diary. I do pretty good with high protein and lower carbs and lots of fruits and veges and am at 900-1000. I also workout 6-7 days a week so not fatigue here, as some would suspect with lower calorie intake and my metabolism is just fine. Lost 2 lbs this week :)
  • Kikidivyne
    Options
    I also have to go on a 1000 Diet. I was wondering. How are you managing now that you have lost the weight. I would love to see your diary of meals he help me. My medical issues will ease up if I can stick to a strick regiment. Can you add me?
  • freebird777
    Options

this^
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a 1000 calorie a day diet and I'm having a hard time finding meals to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions

LOTS of fresh veggies and non-starchy fruits (bananas are high cal).
  • LouMonoLou
    LouMonoLou Posts: 192
    Options
    What kind of doctor gives such a low calorie diet? I don't know what's your case though..

He should have planned meals for you and by the way calorie restriction is not good for any weight related case (weight loss-gain,maintainance etc.) You should eat at least your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). You can find yours online eventhough I don't know how accurate it is. I used the online BMR calculator too.
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    veggies and lean protein!! and you'll find that you don't really need to cook with fat or oil of you use a non-stick pan which will save a few extra calories.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would start by eating the dr.

That is too freakin funny! :laugh: