Break Days...helpful or a bad idea?

Options
Hey guys! My mother, who has always watched her figure and is a total babe at age 58, has always sworn to a 1200 calories diet(if no exercise included, and she's short) BUT having a day once a week to enjoy whatever foods you like. She said this has helped her stay focused 6 days a week of eating great because you had that day to look forwardd too. This is hard for me because I lost weight in the past by just starving myself (bad days...). Just wnated others peoples thoughts. Thanks!

Replies

• judcost
    judcost Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I personnally go with your mom's way of thinking. I think it's easier that way, in the long run, to not fall off the wagon. On that "Break day" I still try to follow the rules but I'm not as strict. I might eat lower calorie food for breakfast and lunch and keep them for a bigger dinner. Some weeks I don't even have "break days" and not because I restricted myself, but just because the food I eat now just have lower calories in general. Wiser choices.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    if you do a search for *cheat day* on the message boards you will find a plethora of feedback about this topic :)

good luck!
  • joyceca
    joyceca Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I encourage it! If you are working hard and being strict on yourself you NEED it. It lets you enjoy whatever you want for a meal or two so you can get focused again for the rest of the week. It's more of a psychological thing. dont beat yourself up for cheat days! you're being organized about it. good luck :)
  • cjspawn120
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I defintaely think it's psychological...i just didn't want to consume too many calories that would make me gain, but I think my body is shocked when i hike up the calories. I wanted others opions too though:smile::tongue:
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    My mind might work different than yours but right now, in the beginning, I know I NEED to see real change in the way clothes fit and hopefully the scale as well. I NEED this to keep me motivated. I know that over time, I've got to relax a little or I won't be able to do this long term. But I'd say when you are first starting out, gaining weight or inches would be devastating, even if you planned the cheat day. I'm not saying the cheat day would make you gain, but for me, I'm afraid I'd take it too far. How about some cheat hours instead of a whole day? OR save up for it. Sock away 100 calories a day and then use that on your special day so you'll have 600 calories to use. Something like that will work better for me when I start needing it.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I haven't really done any "cheat days", but yesterday we were going to eat fried fish and chips that a friend was making. I ate lightly all day and worked out hard and then just enjoyed everything without worrying about calories or fat grams or anything. It felt great for one meal and I'm back onto counting calories and macros today. If I lessened my weight loss a little for the week, it was worth it and makes this way of doing weight loss livable and sustainable.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I haven't really done any "cheat days", but yesterday we were going to eat fried fish and chips that a friend was making. I ate lightly all day and worked out hard and then just enjoyed everything without worrying about calories or fat grams or anything. It felt great for one meal and I'm back onto counting calories and macros today. If I lessened my weight loss a little for the week, it was worth it and makes this way of doing weight loss livable and sustainable.

You said that better than I did! Agreed.
  • thrudhammer
    thrudhammer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation, especially moderation.

Instead of looking at the weigh-in as a series of ups-and-downs, look at it as a meandering course through the woods. You set out with a target but you know you're going to take just as many steps to the left as you are to the right and it's the distractions along the way, the clump of wildflowers, the sun-dappled meadow, the bacon cheeseburger, that make the journey fun. The destination doesn't change but if you get off the path you still know where you want to be so you reorient yourself and keep walking.

Gradatim ferociter!