not losing a pound!!

Options
I had my third child about 2.5 months ago and started exercising regularly 6x a week for an hour to 2 hrs daily and NOTHING has come off. I eat within my calorie range or someimes less and not a pound has dropped. My clothes fit a bit looser but not much considering how much I workout and how little I eat. When the baby sleeps and the other 2 kids are in school I workout with my band and ball at home for 35-45 mins then I go to the gym for an ONE hour and 10 to 30 mins, then at night I put the baby in the stroller and we walk for 30-45 mins and not a pound has come off..terribly depressing to say the least. I know ppl say to eat more but I know that if I do all that will happen is that I'll DEFINITELY gain not maintain as I am doing now, and believe me i do NOT want to maintain i want to lose:(

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Take a look at this thread and do the math - see what level you should be eating at. With the amount of weight you want to lose your cut should be around 10-15% of TDEE.

Less is not more when it comes to weight loss.

Add strength training -Starting strength, stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for Women in place of some of your cardio.
  • sadsb
    sadsb Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree abt the strength training but I was told to wait at least three months post delivery before lifting any weights so am waiting another week and a half before i begin. thanks for the advice:)
  • KrazyFit89
    Options
    Sounds like your doing everything right so far! I was here once when I first started down the healthy road. Cut out all drink only water. Not only will this get rid of your water weight but decrease any sugar your intaking from your normal drinks. Sugar= pure fat! Another thing you can modify is the exercise your doing! Maybe do cardio or take a class. I know your a mom and have an busy life so while your kids sleep do a workout DVD like Jillian Micheals or maybe buy Zumba DVDs. Find something that is fun and enjoyable. Also when walking baby in stroller try going up a different route one that has.more hills! Also since you have a baby try to find one of those yoga workout DVDs you can use while exercising with baby! Just some ideas! Good Luck!.
    *p.s. don't give up we all hit a rough patch! :)
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without being able to see your diary. My guess is you are not eating enough. Your body is a machine and needs fuel to work efficiently.

Maybe open your diary?
  • sadsb
    Options
    yeah no sugary drinks at all for me only green tea, oolong tea or water:) and oh black tea with milk in the morning. I can't afford to give up that's for sure but it sucks when the scale hasn't budged one bit in the past 6 weeks (that's when i started workingout). again all great advice, thanks. and I love the mtv show "i used to be fat" so during that show i workout the entire show at home:) and then head to the gym when the baby sleeps
  • sadsb
    Options
    well my diary is pretty boring i eat abt the same thing everyday, same cereal for breakfast (post bran flakes with skim milk) lunch is a fat free turkey sandwich or tuna..and dinner is one bread with chicken or lentils..and i do have my sugar free cookies three times a day with my green tea or oolong tea..maybe i need to cut that out..hmm
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So you're taking care of 3 kids, the house, and doing 2 other hours of pretty intense exercise. How many calories are you eating per day? A ball park figure to me would be about 2,000 to 2500 cal per day. You don't say if you are breast feeding either. That makes a difference too. Maybe a consult with a nutritionist would be productive at this point.

I've been on diets numerable times over the past 30years. Doing more and eating a lot less was the road to failure for me. Not saying this is true for you, just sharing my experience. I know now that a body has to have fuel to work (any activity) and depriving oneself of that fuel will sabatoge all efforts at losing body fat.

I hope you figure out what will work for you. Ani
  • JoAnnB1212
    Options
    be careful not to overtrain....if you overtrain you won't lose weight. your body will do the opposite of what you want it to do. Also balance out your macros.
  • pryncessleah23
    Options
    I just found out I am insulin resistant which can cause a person to not lose weight. I have been eating right, restricting carbs, and working out like a beast for 2 months with zero pounds lost. I gained some muscle but still, the scale was the exact same. I begged my doctor to re-test my blood sugar/glucose and that's the issue. Maybe you should have your doctor do some blood work to check your sugar, lipids, etc... and see if everything is where it belongs. Good luck :)
  • sadsb
    Options
    I eat about 1600 calories a day or less..
  • sadsb
    Options
    at my next appt. i will def. speak to my doctor abt this, however not sure how helpful that will be..so i am from the US but am currently living in the middle east and the doctors here i really don't trust their opinion so next time we go back to the US to visit i will def. make an appt. to get all things checked.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    you might need to change up your workout clothes. try some different colors.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Sounds like it could be hormonal to me BUT since you just had a baby I'm not sure but you might have to wait another month or two? to get an accurate pic o what your endocrine system is doing? Have the doc check your TSH, free t3, free t4, a1c and do some research to find out what the bloodwork is for adrenals. Get an accurate pic of what's going on with your pituitary, thyroid and adrenals.

Also, is it possible you are having reactions to some type of food? Sometimes food sensitivity can be a factor.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Elevated estrogen levels can cause water retention and mask weight loss. If you are breast-feeding, this will almost certainly be a factor. Using measurements rather than the scale should show progress. If measurements are decreasing, you are losing body fat even if the scale stays the same.

Measurements are much more reliable than weight.
  • sadsb
    Options
    thanks for the advice all..i will def. get blood work done soon and I guess I will give myself three months before i really start getting depressed..kidding. hopefully the next time i am back on here it'll be under "success stories" :)