Anyone else "Phase Out" when binge eating?

Options
I have a tendency, that when I binge eat, I phase out and don't realize what I'm doing until it's too late. It's like my brain shuts off and I eat my weight in something, and then after I stop eating (usually whenever I've devoured everything in sight), I "come to" and see everything I've just eaten and I feel so ashamed. It's quite literally like I don't know that I'm bingeing until afterwards.

So I guess my question is, does this happen to anyone else? And if so, how do you deal with it? Because I'm so tired of feeling ashamed and I want to get a grip on this and stop before I binge.

Replies

• dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    See your doctor, tell them about this, they may send you to someone for therapy to find out why you are binge eating...
  • McShell12
    McShell12 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree about seeing a doctor, but what has helped me in reading "The Beck Diet Solution." It has 42 days of exercises to overcome the triggers and thought processes that LEAD to binges. It has really helped me. There is a book, workbook, and even daily tips you can receive through facebook.

Good luck in your journey!!!!!! You CAN do this!!!!!!!!
  • clicker_70
    Options
    I agree. Conseling should help.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat! i am considering seeing a Dr. for this reason as well! The advice will only help, not hurt!
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i totally understand what your going through, i have been struggling with it for years. unfortunately there really isnt any other way to deal with this other then seeing a doctor. its such an unhealthy habit to have in so many ways, it destroys you as a person. with help i know you can get through it and concur this horrible monster.
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to food. I know it. I understand it, and one of my kids is as well. I have to remain diligent in the fight against overeating, same as an alcoholic has to stay away from alcohol, I have to make it hard as hell to get to binge food. I know I'm not going to cook stuff just to binge out, and the only things I have in my house to binge on is salad stuff, and that's no fun...but YES I get in that zone. I loved that zone. mmmmm Reese's blast from Sonic....
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I do this! It's funny because I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue and always attributed the spaced out moments to that. But I do find I tend to binge or just make really bad food choices (pizza and cake!) when it does happen. I will talk to my doctor, but I am so thankful you posted this! Feels good to know you are not alone.
  • InHisTime48
    InHisTime48 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It was exactly this kind of "mindless eating" that got me up to almost 300 lbs in the first place!! It still happens, but way less often. The best suggestion I heard a while ago that really made sense: Make every meal - snack or otherwise - something special. Set the table, bring out the candles, use the good dishes and silverware - and take your time with it. Make it the focus of what you are doing for that period of time - with no other distractions. No TV, no books, magazines, not even the newspaper. Eat, and enjoy every bite. Your more in tune with how full you get and how fast you get there. Time consuming, and I am by no means "there" yet, but it really helps!
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's very common for binge eaters. That's actually probably WHY you're doing it, we as human beings all need something to shut us off every now and then. Life gets emotionally exhausting. Find another way to "shut off" when you need to, without food, and you'll be able to get a grip on the binges. Don't lean on substances, neither food nor drug. You need something you can do on "autopilot". Something repetitive, simple, time-absorbing and which doesn't have an intense emotional impact. It's good if it feels nice, even better if it's actually relaxing to you, but doesn't have to be at first. Try origami (usually takes a lot of focus to follow the steps), crochet (constantly counting stitches), knitting (same), beading, or whatever else you can think of that has a repetitive nature to it. It gives your emotional side a break, while your very-rational almost machine-like part of your brain comes to the front.

Oh! I should mention that there are a lot of games that have this quality. Most of the more poorly made (lol) MMORPG's, minecraft, tetris, etc. I spent three hours today building a village in Minecraft, and didn't think twice about food until I was absolutely ravenous. So don't knock it till you've tried it, as they say.
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This happens to me basically every day. I've been binge eating for the last few weeks. I know I'm doing it, but while I'm eating, I just zone out. I tell myself it's not AS BAD because I only overeat by a few hundred calories and it's all healthy stuff, but still... not very proud.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I've had it as bad as the OP, but I have certainly found myself eating something on auto-pilot. it's like any habit.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I often "phase out" during the day, but it is worse when I am stressed. It is a protective mechanism of the brain to shut down when it can't handle any more. I know for myself it is "disociation", a psychological diagnosis of the symptoms that you have described (note: I am not a psychologist - you would need to talk to someone about that).

Through talking-therapies with a psychologist (NOT drug therapies with a psychiatrist), I have learned to manage my disociation to the point where it doesn't shut down my life as much any more. I used to disociate for an entire day and now I'm down to minutes every so often. It was really important for me to figure out the root cause of this disociation and deal with that because otherwise I would have been just trying to mask the symptoms rather than stop it from happening. I have PTSD. I also used to binge eat.

Thinking of you.
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    It was exactly this kind of "mindless eating" that got me up to almost 300 lbs in the first place!! It still happens, but way less often. The best suggestion I heard a while ago that really made sense: Make every meal - snack or otherwise - something special. Set the table, bring out the candles, use the good dishes and silverware - and take your time with it. Make it the focus of what you are doing for that period of time - with no other distractions. No TV, no books, magazines, not even the newspaper. Eat, and enjoy every bite. Your more in tune with how full you get and how fast you get there. Time consuming, and I am by no means "there" yet, but it really helps!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This happens to me basically every day. I've been binge eating for the last few weeks. I know I'm doing it, but while I'm eating, I just zone out. I tell myself it's not AS BAD because I only overeat by a few hundred calories and it's all healthy stuff, but still... not very proud.

Overeating by "a few hundred calories" on "healty stuff" is NOT BINGE EATING. That is insulting to people who geniunely suffer from this ED.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Therapy has helped me amazingly. I still eat more than I need to sometimes, but haven't had that out-of-control eating thing for a while now. It's been a long process, hard work, painful at times, and I know I'm not yet finished, but it's still been totally worth it. Good luck.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    By "talking to a doctor" do you mean talking to my regular doctor or seeking a psychologist?