FitBit and Polar FT 40

Options
I am looking for an accurate calorie burn monitor. Anyone has any comment on these two?

Better if there is anyone has two of them...

Thanks!

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit ultra and ekhoe-15 HRM

the fitbit is great for all day use and sleep cal. tracking. the HRM is great for intence workouts

I use both and love both for there different functions if I had to pick one of them only though I would go with my fitbit because my activety day to day verries a great deal example today I walked alittle over 6000 steps and 7flights of stairs so far while yesterday I walked well over 20000 steps and 50flights of stairs so HUGE difference. Also before my fitbit I never relized how much I woke up at night for bathroom trips , checking on the kids , letting animals in and out to potty and all that activety adds into your day.
  • chunchiaw
    chunchiaw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

Do you know anything about Polar FT 40?

I do varies activity, including Curves, TurboFire, BOSU... etc.. But I never know how much calories I burned.. I saw reviews on Amazon that both Polar and FitBit are quite good..
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the FT40, but I have a Fitbit and an FT4. I wear the HRM during my workouts and the Fitbit for the rest of the day. I feel like the combination gives me the best overall idea of what I am burning.
  • lrlnss
    lrlnss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I actually have the Fitbit AND the Polar FT 40. :) I like using the Fitbit to track my everyday activity, steps, etc, but the Polar is much more accurate in tracking calorie burn during workouts, especially if you're doing more than just walking or running.
  • mazzy72
    mazzy72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a FT 40 and love it.

On the setting you have to put your weight, height, date of birth, gender, activity level and VO2max (you do the VO2max test with the FT 40, it explain how).

After that, you juste have to do your workout with the sensor. The FT 40 calculate how calorie you burn and keep then. So you can compare your calorie burn with your older workout.

(Sorry for my english, I'm french)
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    I actually have the Fitbit AND the Polar FT 40. :) I like using the Fitbit to track my everyday activity, steps, etc, but the Polar is much more accurate in tracking calorie burn during workouts, especially if you're doing more than just walking or running.

Thanks for your reply. This is really helpful.

I know the best way is to purchase both of them, but that will be a very big investment for me. :p
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research before purchaisng the Polar FT 40, and I'm really happy that I chose it. As others have said, your do a fitness test (more like a lying down on the floor yoga breathing test) to figure out your VO2 max, which affects how many calories you burn. Other HR monitors that I looked at lacked that feature, so I really wanted something with accurate calorie burn count. I've had mine since January, use it every day, and it's still working great with the original battery.
  • BrenBringman
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT40! Can use it while swimming & swimming is a killer calorie burn, but not a body joint killer! LOL :happy:
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    WoW!! Polar FT40 can be used while swimming??? That's a great thing for me!! I also went swimming often, and I always am curious about how much calories I can burn.

How about daily activity? I am a violinist, and I am also curious how much calorie I can burn while I practice.. :p

Does anyone knows the differences between FT 40 and FT 60?
  • BrenBringman
    Options
    Also, we have a serious budget and I wanted a Polar FT40 for my birthday. Lucked out and found one on craigslist (womens model which is good cause I am one..LOL) Lady selling was packing to move and found it and placed it on craigslist....she had never worn or programmed it and decided she probably never would...bought it for a steal for $50! I also want the fit bit...not sure about the fitbit ultra~have read on reviews it has issues with SWEAT...which since it is for exercise I would probably have an issue with that! Thinking about getting the fit bit zip. Don't really need the sleep feature on the fitbit ultra/fitbit one) and the zip is only around $60 new. :bigsmile:
  • BrenBringman
    Options
    Ive tried using it during daily activity, but the chest strap can kinda get uncomfortable. I guess it is all on what you can handle.
  • BrenBringman
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of videos about each model and videos on how to program them! Gotta LOVE youtube. :love:
  • BrenBringman
    Options
    If you get a polar ft40...while using in the pool...things to remember...do not push buttons while submerged...make sure you also replace the rubber gasket when replacing the battery to keep waterproofing...and wash the strap in a mesh laundry bag as soon as you are done swimming in a pool with high chlorine count (laundry soap without bleach alternative...fab soft...ect)
  • chunchiaw
    Options
    If you get a polar ft40...while using in the pool...things to remember...do not push buttons while submerged...make sure you also replace the rubber gasket when replacing the battery to keep waterproofing...and wash the strap in a mesh laundry bag as soon as you are done swimming in a pool with high chlorine count (laundry soap without bleach alternative...fab soft...ect)

Thanks for your reminder..

God, $50 for Polar!!??? Lucky you.. I wish I could find one from EBay or Craigslist.. BTW, you lose a lot of weight, envy you!
  • lrlnss
    lrlnss Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I know the best way is to purchase both of them, but that will be a very big investment for me. :p

I actually bought my Polar FT 40 on eBay fairly cheap; I think it was around $50-60.
  • chunchiaw
    Options

I actually bought my Polar FT 40 on eBay fairly cheap; I think it was around $50-60.

Did you get a new/unopened box one? I can only find new one on Ebay about $120 something.. it's more expensive than Amazon.. :(