Support

Options
Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
Hey all!! :smile:

I am really having a hard time controlling myself, I see a post below about binge eating... I do fine all day until I get to work/parents house. I leave myself some room for a treat (since the vending machine is there haha) But then my dad will BBQ something... And there is a HUGE box of Ferrero Rocher right behind my desk..... They are quite high in cals hahaha and there are just SO many goodies there! Now I know I have to make the choice myself, there is no magic button (though I wish there was!), but I don't have that will power. I'm not gaining weight... I'm still losing it... just REALLY slow!

I just don't know what to do! I can't stop going to work! haha Any ideas???

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Options

I am really having a hard time controlling myself, I see a post below about binge eating... I do fine all day until I get to work/parents house. I leave myself some room for a treat (since the vending machine is there haha) But then my dad will BBQ something... And there is a HUGE box of Ferrero Rocher right behind my desk..... They are quite high in cals hahaha and there are just SO many goodies there! Now I know I have to make the choice myself, there is no magic button (though I wish there was!), but I don't have that will power. I'm not gaining weight... I'm still losing it... just REALLY slow!

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

At some point you just have to say no, all the support in the world won't do any good if you can't find the will power to just look at something and say...nah.

It's the same all around Carrie, there have been home made brownies at the desk next to mine 2 days in a row, haven't touched em, not cuz I'm not hungry, not cuz I don't like brownies (oh I DO love brownies), but because I know that they aren't part of my daily diet.
    Every time I see a temptation, I just ask myself, is this just the first rung to me blowing the whole day? You can't start doing the food equivalent of impulse buying, that's the path to self-destruction. If you reason out eating a food because you really want it (as opposed to wanting it just cuz you see or smell it) then I am usually much more inclined to call that a "treat" as opposed to a "cheat".

I.E. if I need to drive to the store to buy a snack, then it's a treat, if I see a tray of brownies in the office and take one, that's me giving in and cheating! Because instead of giving in to impulses, I have made a concious decision to do this, have taken into account the ramafications of doing it, and (to some small degree) have been forced to put in a certain amount of work to get it, even if it is only throwing on my shoes and driving to the store.

I know this may sound a little rough, but IMveryHO, it's the only way to train yourself for the long term, on the up side, I know from experience, it DOES eventually get easier.

Good luck Carrie!
  • Dropka
    Dropka Posts: 72
    Options
    well what i did was just get rid of the temptations. move things out of sight. bring your own snacks. surround yourself with the promise you made to yourself to get healthy. but remember, your still loosing and that you should be proud of. it's so hard to do. so don't get yourself down for it happening slowly. that just means it will STAY OFF!! (woo hoo on that thought!)
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    :grumble: DARN PARENTS AND YUMMIES!! I so have the same problem. I work with my mother and her office is loaded with high fat, high cal foods. :tongue:

The best thing I've found to do is wear your tight jeans once a week. I know, sounds like the least comfortable thing ever. But it reminds you where those goodies go. That and I rely heavily on my 90 and 100 calorie cookie packs. It takes some getting used to and a lot of will power!

As for at your parents, eat off a small plate and cover most of it with veggies or whole grain. Don't forget to remind your parents how much you love their cooking, but you are very determined to stay on track and need their support more now than ever (it'll make them realize you're serious, in case they haven't already!)

As a last resort, eat with your non-dominant hand, it'll make you focus on the food going into your mouth because it's harder to scoop it up!

Good luck!
    M :flowerforyou:
  • mhenry557
    mhenry557 Posts: 8
    Options
    This has helped me: Every hour have yourself a 100 calorie snack/meal so that you pace yourself and space your calories throughout the day. Do not skip any snacks. If you find yourself going past your hour, then double up the next hour if you need to. Also, monitor yourself as to what time of day you really get hungry. You may want to pick up an appetite suppressant pill around that time, or have yourself a low cal cup of coffee. Caffeine is a natural suppressant. Another thing to do during the day is take little exercise breaks. Get up and move around for some circulation. Even if it is only standing up and stretching as tall as you can. Another tip is to drink ice cold water by sipping it throughout the day. This helps you feel full.

Number one thing to do right now, is go trash all those goodies OR eat all of them and make yourself super sick. Either way, you won't have them around to bother you anymore!

56100.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    A nice way, especially with family, is to try to get healthy alternatives in advance. My birthday is coming up, and I specifically asked my parents not to get a cake... maybe a fruit torte, or some shortcake with strawberries. The longer you keep from eating 'unhealthy' foods, the better you feel - at least in my experience. Then when I eat unhealthy foods I feel bad mentally (oh my god, why am I so weak?), and physically - too much sugar makes me feel really lethargic.

Basically, you can do it, but you have to man up and not eat what you shouldn't be eating. You are the sole arbiter of what goes into your body. Make your very first goal in weight loss not about dropping pounds, but looking at candy, and saying, 'no thanks.' The first time is the hardest, because once you've done it once, you can do it a billion times - and guess what? Each time you do it, your self confidence and willpower get a little bit stronger. Be proud of yourself because you said no!

Once you can do that reliably, weight loss is a walk in the park :)
  • Carrie6o6
    Options

At some point you just have to say no, all the support in the world won't do any good if you can't find the will power to just look at something and say...nah.

It's the same all around Carrie, there have been home made brownies at the desk next to mine 2 days in a row, haven't touched em, not cuz I'm not hungry, not cuz I don't like brownies (oh I DO love brownies), but because I know that they aren't part of my daily diet.
    Every time I see a temptation, I just ask myself, is this just the first rung to me blowing the whole day? You can't start doing the food equivalent of impulse buying, that's the path to self-destruction. If you reason out eating a food because you really want it (as opposed to wanting it just cuz you see or smell it) then I am usually much more inclined to call that a "treat" as opposed to a "cheat".

I.E. if I need to drive to the store to buy a snack, then it's a treat, if I see a tray of brownies in the office and take one, that's me giving in and cheating! Because instead of giving in to impulses, I have made a concious decision to do this, have taken into account the ramafications of doing it, and (to some small degree) have been forced to put in a certain amount of work to get it, even if it is only throwing on my shoes and driving to the store.

I know this may sound a little rough, but IMveryHO, it's the only way to train yourself for the long term, on the up side, I know from experience, it DOES eventually get easier.

Good luck Carrie!

Why Banks!! Why!! I really have no self control what so ever!! *sigh* But I guess if I want it bad enough eh... Today is a good day to start.... Man I wish it was much easier... haha
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    I've tried this... Asked my husband not to get me food for a gift... I used to ask for food or money as gifts so I can get rid of them and not feel bad about it hahahaha But he still gets me food. Ah well...

Thanks! And everyone else too!! I'm gonna try my best here starting today. haha
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Why Banks!! Why!! I really have no self control what so ever!! *sigh* But I guess if I want it bad enough eh... Today is a good day to start.... Man I wish it was much easier... haha

:happy:
    I have faith in you. Yeah, it sucks, but this is the world we live in... *sigh*