ZUMBA....calories burned...

Options
2»

Replies

• 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    I calculate it on ActiveTrainer, and according to my height(5'4") and weight (174), I burn just about 330 calories doing Zumba for 1 hour. I <3 Zumba!
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT 7 HRM this weekend and took a Zumba Class today. My HRM said I burned 808 Calories in 58 minutes! Not sure if it is correct, but I felt exhausted afterwards!

I just got a Polar FT7 also. I had always used the zumbacalories.com website to figure out calories burned (around 500 for an hour) but after wearing my HRM, I realized I'm burning between 650 and 715 most days. Zumba toning for me burns fewer calories (570ish) but I was still underestimating my calorie burn by just going off of the website. I recommend a HRM for accurate numbers :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I shot the sheriff but I did not shoot the deputy.

Yeah! All around in my home town,
    They're tryin' to track me down;
  • MD1Girl
    MD1Girl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    In just learning the basic steps I burn between 250-350 calories an hour depending on how much I put into it, but I found when I was doing the actual class my calories burned went down. I attribute that to my lack of familiarity with what I'm doing. I wear a Polar FT7 during all of my workouts. I know as soon as I get all of the steps down, I will get an amazing workout!
  • Couponqueenren
    Couponqueenren Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Zumba calorie calculator was telling me like 525 but once I got the heart rate monitor it told me 325. Which is still a great burn but can be an issue if you are eating back your calories. I don't so that isn't a problem for me. But Zumba is so much fun that I am doing it more for fun. And I think it does a good job toning. I saw visible differences in my mid section after a few weeks.
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time feeling accomplished after a zumba workout. I usually start it over and do another 30min. My hrm will be in the mail today and I cant wait to see how many calories I'm burning.
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    depends on age, weight, height, and how fit you are.....but i burn 500-630 and i wear a polar heart rate monitor. i'm 23, 145, 5'4
  • oldsalty1
    Options
    So...I went with the FitBit...for calorie and step counts...for 50-60 mins of Zumba including cool down and warm ups!!
    During Zumba...the FitBit records 5000-7000 steps!! Yea
    2.5 to 3 miles!! Yea!! Once I hit 4.68 miles...only once!!
    630-710 calories...Yea!!

Still going to Zumba at least 3 days a week! 20-20-20 1 day a week...and kick boxing 1 day a week!!

Must start lifting weights...not sure where to start!! and ideas...
  • EMarmelade
    Options
    On the site http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/ , there's a tab that calculate the calories of your zumba class.You have to enter your weight, choose between 3 intensities that are described and the duration.
  • pandoraboxcat
    Options
    I do 5 live zumba classes a week with two different instructors.

The female instructor's sessions i burn between 400-500 calories, i do that class once a week.

The male instructor's class i burn between 590-690 calories per class. His classes are faster, harder and way more intense and i certainly feel it the next day.

I wear a heart rate monitor through out all my classes.
  • asimmons26
    asimmons26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been teaching Zumba for two years now and wear a heart rate monitor. Depending on my playlist I burn 550 to 650 calories in a one hour class. I'm 5''5" and weight about 120. That is a pretty good burn....however, depending on how hard you push yourself you can burn much less. Many ppl worry too much about looking foolish shaking everything BUT...if you're not moving it, then it won't fall off so to speak...
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I just went to this site to see what it would say for me. It said 517 calories. My HRM has never shown that many.

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I wore the BodyMedia for a month when I did Zumba (I still do but w/o the BodyMedia)...on Toning days I burned about 200-250 and on 60 min regular workouts I burned about 300-400. I really have to jump and dance to hit 400 but I am also a long distance runner so I have a pretty high endurance level and it takes me a while to get warm.
  • Nilasaurus
    Nilasaurus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here take some Zumba love from me <3<3<3<3

I wear a Polar FT4 and burn 400 calories per class(50 mins)
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My HRM puts me at 1100-1400 per hour of Zumba.

And yes Ive used more than one HRM. Always with a chest strap.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    500-800 at my 60 min weekly live zumba class, depending on how much I put into it and the song choice by the instructor. I use an HRM with chest strap.
  • mylenka_loves_se7en
    Options
    I normally burn between 550 and 750 calories for 60 minutes depending on the intensity I put in. I use an heart rate monitor and chest trap too.
  • mrmrsptogether08
    mrmrsptogether08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    don't go by what an online calculator or guesstimate someone will give you. the best way to know for sure is to get a fitbit or something like that that will go by your age/weight/height, i've been doing zumba for 8 months ( 3-4 times a week) and it varies from 325 to 500 calories.