What's your favorite charity or nonprofit organization?

Options
shanae727
shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
Just curious what your favorite charities are and why? (feel free to post a link) :D

Replies

• cakelady69
    Options
    St Judes Children's Hospital, they do amazing work for children. I have supported them for years and will continue to.

Also, American Cancer Society. This holds a special place in my life, because I have lost so many family members to cancer.
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    World Vision.....we have adopted a couple different kids and it's nice knowing we are helping them get an education and hearing from them periodicaly about their progress.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Anything with animals. Humane societies, ASPCA. I love animals. My girl cat is a rescue and one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Prader-Willi Association (USA) http://www.pwsausa.org/

My daughter has this rare genetic syndrome for which there is no cure or treatment for the hunger which is the overwhelming characteristic of the syndrome. As such, we are very driven to find ways to improve the lives of individuals with PWS. I will be running in a Halloween 13K on 10/27 in order to raise awareness (you've never heard of this syndrome before, have you?) and funds for PWS. (BTW.....I have never run 13K yet in my life but am actively training for it!)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Anything with animals. Humane societies, ASPCA. I love animals. My girl cat is a rescue and one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me.

^^ me too. I have 2 rescue cats after my cat of 16 years, Tabby, moved on to Rainbow Bridge in April. They are true characters and I'm grateful to the rescue group and the girl who rescued Weeny, the baby, from a hoarder's house in Camden around the time Hurricane Irene hit Jersey last year. She woulda been dead if it hadn't been for that lady. A voice for all the helpless pets...
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The Hemophilia Foundation of MN/dakotas. We have Bleeding disorders in our family . HFMD does many things to enhance and help persons with bleeding disorders .
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I give monthly to world vision, I'm on my second child. I've raised funds this year for st Jude's. In a big fan of wounded warrior, seeing the benefits my amputee friend receives. Yesterday I dressed up to raise money for the coalition to unchain dogs.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Dance Marathon....it's a group found on many college campuses that not only raises a lot of money for the local Children's Miracle Network hospital (local for the college--for example, Iowa State University's Dance Marathon monies go to University of Iowa Children's Hospital), but has activities and fun stuff all year long for local "miracle kids" and their families.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Anything to do with animals. They are so defenseless and it is our job to protect them!! Plus my baby is a rescue!
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    www.wobblyfeet.org

My best friend's son is 5 and was diagnosed with a very rare neurogenerative genetic disease called Ataxia Telangectasia that is fatal with no cure or treatment. We are always fundraising to raise money for research to find a treatment or cure, I am on the board for wobblyfeet which is a foundation we have created for this cause.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    March of Dimes. My son was a preemie.
  • Cole114a
    Cole114a Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Heartbeat ministries, working to end abortion and to support women who chose to keep their babies.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    JDRF for Type-1 Diabetes

also Ronald McDonald House
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    DonorsChoose.org

and

Children's Miracle Network
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The sick kids foundation (the hospital for sick kids) in Toronto. They operated on my daughter 3 times. 2 major and 1 minor. They are an amazing children's hospital. I support them every month with a donation and I go to many of the events.

Also www.craniokids.org it's a website to help families who child or children are born with craniosynostosis (what my daughter was born with). They helped me get through everything.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I support the Take Steps, Be Heard, For Crohn's and Colitis. It is for finding a cure for Crohn's and Colitis. And I hope that a cure is found because I have Crohn's. =^_^=
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I donate to charities with maximum impact for saving human lives - UNHCR (The UN Refugee Agency) and Medecins Sans Frontiers. Both agencies work in humanitarian crisis situations and provide emergency response and relief. I was strongly encouraged by Peter Singer's "The Life You Can Save" to give regular monthly donations totalling 1% of my annual income.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have 3....The Alzheimers Association (what my mother died from), Disabled Veterans and the ASPCA.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    MDA and Parent Project Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. My son has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (its one of the worst types) and these organizations do what they can to help support the families that go through this, help with the expensive equipment they need, and also research for cures or other medicine that can help the symptoms. I also like St. Judes and any other organization which helps children.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this one just for the story and how it demonstrates the amazing resilience, faith, love and hope people have.

This family lost their daughter in the Haiti Earthquake and have committed themselves to carrying out her last wish. I've been following the progress and donated several times. I love it!

Check out Be Like Brit:

http://belikebrit.org