Share your secret to dedication!

Options

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    To be honest I like the feeling when Im done with a nice long run. Makes me feel good about myself makes a lot of anexiety and other mental/emotional issues go away. You dont know how many times ive told myself im only gonna run for 20 minutes 6 miles later im still there. Hardest part is putting on my shoes and walking out the door after that its a cake walk.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Something typically motivates people to start, but once you start and develop habits you really make it a part of your life and not just some diet thing.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The more you don't feel like doing an exercise, the more likely it is that you should be doing that exercise. When I wake up in the morning and really really don't want to run, that's when I know I HAVE TO get out there and run. I use that as a motivational tool.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The secret to dedication--actually, I have two: 1. MFP. Seriously, this place keeps me in line. 2. My workout time is pretty much the only time I have to myself, ever. Now that I've claimed it, no way I'm giving it up!
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Motivation? I finally committed to making a change. And if you ask my wife, she'll tell you, I dont do anything half-arsed.

I hate exercising, but I love being able to say "I did it" once I'm done. And I strive to do more each time.
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do exercises that I enjoy -- I would never be able to stick with it if I had to go on the elliptical for an hour a day. I do variety of workouts that I think are fun and enjoyable. Now, on days I don't work out, I feel all grumpy and nasty. I never make myself do exercises that I don't enjoy or eat foods that I don't like to eat... though some days are still a struggle, at least I'm enjoying myself (for the most part) while on this journey.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    At a point...it just becomes easy.
    It's part of the everyday...and trust me I was ...pfft. 370, size 32...
    It takes time but thankfully my insane cravings for chocolate covered french fries and friend breaded bacon (I'm exaggerating...kinda) have subsided.

Course I've had blood sugars over 1200, a heart attack, and permanent heart damage. I guess when you get to that point you don't have a choice.
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You just have to decide that it's time to take care of what's important to you. I've been so "on again/off again" for years, but this is the first time I've really said that it's time to quit quitting and driving others crazy with whining. On FB, for so long, I've started a new way to lose weight so often that I know others got tired of hearing it. Then my husband listened to me whine so much because I felt horrible from the weight. I self-medicated with food over every little emotion (boredom, anxiety, depression, etc.) My mind would drive me crazy with the struggle of deciding which "way" to lose weight because everywhere you turn, there are so many ways" to do it and all of them pretty much contradict each other.

I finally decided it was time to find a way I could eat "normally", to be able to eat how I would eat after dropping the pounds, and keep it off. I knew I couldn't swear off carbs forever. I don't eat terribly anyway, just ate way too much.

It's never an easy day and it's constantly planning on every meal. I can't spontaneously eat so well because then I'm backed in a corner I don't want to be in. It's truly a lifestyle change. I have to constantly give myself pep talks and be there for myself because I've discovered, friends and family are fine, but after a while they get annoyed and often negative and they really aren't the most reliable support. So many friends use the "it's only one time" when trying to get me to cave on cravings. If I cave every time I hear that, I'm worse than before I started.

You just have to be your best friend on this and keep yourself focused. Plus, there are lots of people in the MFP world who seem to be great support! Know that if you do hang in there, you will feel so good in so many ways. You can either chose a path of regret or a path of accomplishment. :-)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There is no secret, some are ready and some just aren't. You have to just do it, I have to battle myself every day "What do I want more? All this food or to be lazy and not workout? OR that body you have always wanted?" The body wins. I have to remind myself daily. Some days I cave in and fall on my face. One day isn't going to set me back 2 years, so I just shake it off and try again. I've had more good days then bad, but the bad days are still there. You can't dwell on the bad days, you have to see the success you've had and keep going. Don't look at how far you have to go, look at how far you have come. Set small goals to work for the big goal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    For me, it's goals that have nothing to do with the scale or clothes or how I look.

At first, it was being able to run a 5k, so I started C25K. I wanted to run with my brother and my niece and not have them wait forever at the finish line, and later, do Warrior Dash with them and be able to keep up with them. Then realizing that one of the races I did was the first of a Triple Crown, so I wanted to do the other two, which were longer distances. So being able to run a 5k was no longer enough... I needed to be able to run a 10k.

But in the beginning, having a program where I could track my progress ("Woo! I can run a whole mile!" Then "Woo! I can run TWO miles!" etc.) kept me going. When I didn't see changes in the mirror, when I the scale wasn't budging, when my clothes still fit the same, I knew I was becoming a stronger, healthier person. And having lost both my parents to heart and lung problems, this was important to me.

Eventually, the fitness bug caught hold of me, and running is now a habit. It's something I do for fun and relaxation, not just a means of burning calories. (Although being able to eat like a vortex of vultures is nice!)*

From there, I moved on to lifting weights, because I was awestruck at the progress made by the lovely ladies of MFP who lift. I'm just starting a program with that (stronglifts 5x5) so I can chart my progress like I did my running.

It's not about my weight or my pants size or anything like that. If it were, I would have quit a month into it. I was never that upset about my size. It's about my health and longevity. I want to be around a long-*kitten* time and I want to feel great for that long-*kitten* time. So I had to make eating right and getting regular exercise just as much a part of my daily routine and maintenance as showering and brushing my teeth. It's NOT an option.

*Yes, I did google what a group of vultures is called, and they can be called a cast, committee, meal, vortex, venue or a wake. A flying circle of vultures is a kettle. I like the alliteration of a "vortex of vultures" best.
  • jvw317
    Options
    Finding a work out that I absolutely love to do keeps me dedicated. I love boxing which is an amazing work out; it keeps me in shape, but it is more fun than work. Finding something you love, whether it is boxing, zumba, tennis, etc., will keep you coming back because it isn't something you loathe doing. I've also noticed that it keeps my eating in check too. If I want to perform better, I must eat right and track my calories. I don't crave desserts and such nearly as much when I kick my *kitten* in a work out. It just feels like I'm wasting all that energy if I eat unhealthily afterward. Hope this helps somewhat!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I had plateaued and failed by eating too FEW calories...I've done a ton of research and now have moved back into losing. I have tried every diet out there but found that anything too restrictive would only last short term for me.

what works now? I have calculated my TDEE at the sedentary rate. that gives me 1641 calories per day to maintain. I've reduced that by 15% and have set MFP to 1400 calories per day NET.

I love to eat, and am a huge 'snacker' so I am motivated to exercise everyday so I can eat each and every one of those exercise calories back!! this includes my daily chocolate addiction! :)

I found exercise that I enjoy like a bootcamp group (not very motivated when Im on my own) and started the C25k a few months ago. I just ran 5kms for the first time today! I couldn't even run 10 feet without dying when I started! I was psyched to see progression every day and it kept me motivated...I couldn't believe I was becoming a runner!!

Eating more has kept my loss steady, I don't deprive myself of anything but I make smarter choices for the simple fact that I want to eat more, and now I prefer those foods for so many reasons.

Check that you're not under eating, set a calorie goal that's reasonable for you to manage on a daily basis and don't expect a quick fix. trust the process and it will happen. it took me years of trial and error to get to this place and you can too!!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    It has to become a priority.

Good luck. If you want it, you can do it!
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Train insane or remain the same
    No excuses
    Sugar doesnt make you fat, you do
    Discipline
    Planning
    Dedication

Amen
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I wish there WAS a secret. I probably would have used it before I developed T2. Now? Its no secret....its a necessity if I want to continue to live a healthy life.
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    Always forward....never backwards!!! Something I always recite to myself "everyday"
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You have to tell yourself that you have the inner drive and determination to do this. No one can do it for you. No one can motivate you into doing it. It's not even enough that you want to do it. You just have to do it.
    And when I don't feel like doing it (which sometimes I don't) I just tell myself "suck it up, cupcake!" and do it anyway.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    A lot of the strategies I use have been mentioned, so I'll just repeat something powerful that I read in a forum post:

Time is going to pass no matter what. Next week, next month, next year will come. You can choose to remain the same and feel just as miserable then, or do something about it now and every day so that you don't.
  • RockyMtnJhawk
    Options
    You guys have no idea how much I needed to read each and every one of these responses. THANK YOU!!
  • suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started because I hated who I was, I am continuing because I like who I am and losing this weight makes all the little things in life easier. Even the simple things like walking or climbing stairs. :happy: