Salt

Options
Need ideas and tips to cut back on salt. I put salt on almost everything, to me it doesn't have any flavor without salt.

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well besides slowly reducing the amount of salt you use, try other spices instead. Cajun spice blends or good cracked pepper work.
  • rudbyrd
    rudbyrd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is tough, I am a salt o holic myself. But, slowly reduce, and use other spices, like Gabby says. Dont try to do it all at once.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Do you use it when you cook? Seems like when you cook with it, you don't need it as much at the table. I just cut back a little bit a week unitl I tasted food again. You can also try no Salt.
  • NotHopelessButHopeful
    Options
    Cajun spice is good. Its one of the few times i don't put salt or I put less. Any other spices to recommend?
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    My name is John and I am a saltaholic. I have found that the action of shaking and seeing "salt" is greatly satisfying my need, so I have started using Nu-Salt. It is ok, not great, but it satisfies my need to shake salt onto food, much like chewing gum to get over the habit of smoking. Just a thought, doesn't hurt to give it a try and maybe it will work for you too :-)
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cajun spice is good. Its one of the few times i don't put salt or I put less. Any other spices to recommend?

Mrs. Dash
  • NotHopelessButHopeful
    Options
    It maybe be a visual thing for me I know sadly when I've eaten whoppers(haven't had one in a while) I put so much salt it looked like it snowed on my burger.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of food, of course... but I love to add garlic to many things. I also love (loooooooove) fresh cilantro. Green onions or chives can add nice flavor too.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is better about it, but everyone told me to switch to sea salt. Anyone have reasons why or why not to use sea salt?
  • MLT314
    MLT314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try Mrs. Dash. It should be by the spices at your grocery store. They have at least 15 different varieties.:smile:
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    this website has some useful information http://www.3fatchicks.com/what-your-salt-cravings-are-telling-you/

i suggest what others have said, try cutting back slowly. when boiling vegetables, eggs etc. don't use salt, you don't need salt to boil foods.

also different spices at the table might help you as well.

i think the key is to cut back slowly so you dont have a crazy craving and cave in.