Calling All 60 + year olds..Help needed

Options
Hi everyone:

I just turned 60, and I am quite frustrated. I suffered a serious illness, I am ok now but not as strong as I was. I also was just told that I will need hip replacement in the future,

I have met and gotten much support but I feel like these "youngsters" just do not get it. I didnt either when I was younger. It just saddens me that there is not much out there for me and I would like suggestions and friends from my age group. I really am not interested in the advice of a 30 year old unless they are a doctor. I am not trying to be nasty, but a 30 , 40 and even a 50 year old is not 60. A lot changed for me when I turned 60. Maybe it was my medical issues that did me in.
Please help.

Replies

• Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I can relate as I am 62yr, turn 63 December 28th, and the extra fat cells just don’t leave us like they used to. Depending on your medical restrictions there are several things you can do that will enhance your weight loss.

First, don’t tackle it as a “DIET” but think of this as a lifestyle change. It may sound corny but it must be a lifestyle change or we are just spinning our wheels. Also get as active as you possibly can. That means walking, cardio exercises at home, walking around the house, bending, house work (UCK!) or anything that gets you up and active 3 – 5 days per week and at least 30 minutes per day. It can be in 10 or 15minute intervals if that is all you can get in. There are plenty of exercises you can do even in a chair. Do an internet search and talk with your doctor. Get good ideas, set yourself an attainable goal, let MFP help you to decide how much and how quickly you want to lose but be realistic. Don't overextend yourself and if you haven't any idea where to start just start with a goal of 0 .5# - 1# per week and keep track of your journey. Track all intake and activity and look at your journal to see what is working for you.

We didn’t get here overnight and unless we want tons of flappy skin we don’t want to lose it too quickly.

Just remember that this is for you, your life and you will reap the benefits of getting healthier.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and understand what you are saying. I didn't think I'd be able to lose weight after 60 but I'll be darned, it's working because I joined here. Like Zee says, you have to look at it as a lifestyle change and not limit yourself to a diet. We also need to use positive terms and get rid of words and phrases such as "bad," "bad day," "I was bad," and other such things. These steps aren't fatal and we can recoup when we treat ourselves. It is impossible to believe that we will never have another treat of our favorite item again. Work those things in and all will be fine. Everything in moderation and pace ourselves for the marathon and not the sprint. We can do this. :wink:
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I apreciate it greatly. I do exactly that, think of it as a healthy way to eat, not a diet. It wouldn't work otherwise. I am discovering new things to eat and find I like them.

AS far as exercise, I joined a gym and do the bike at least 3 times a week. The doctor said that and weight loss would hold off surgery. I go to several doctors for my various issues and have discussed all this.

Thanks for responding.
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are looking for. Are you wondering whether or not it is worth having the surgery? If so, I give you a hardy YES. Age 60 is nothing, imo. I'm 61. My dad is 91 and my mother 86. She just had triple by-pass surgery and is doing well. She had four doctors in the hospital - three of which basically told us "Well, she's 86, she's had a good run. It's time to wrap it up." Ugh. All young doctors (of course) who thought that by the time you get that age your are good for nothing except the cemetary.

But one doctor said, "Sure, I think she's a candidate for surgery. I think I can improve the quality of her life and I think she can handle the surgery just fine." So, she had the surgery. Everything went well and she's now walking around the block and more active than she was before the surgery. And her family is glad she's still around.

So, don't give up. if you are wondering if by being age 60 you are too old for something...wipe that thought from your brain. You aren't. Get the hip replacement and continue living, being active, productive, helpful, and enjoying the life God gave us.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    CathiAnne the positive self talk is so very important. We sabotage ourselves so many times with the 'I was bad', 'I blew it' and other negative words we use on ourselves and we don't realize what we are doing. We can make it and we will make it.
  • zzj394
    Options
    I am actually not having a problem losing weight ( I started trying in June and I have lost 48 pounds, 6 before joining FP ) but I've found out that at 60 I am having problem building any muscle tone. My workout is composed of elliptical, treadmill and outside track and some jogging about an hour and a half a day 5 times a week, and lift weights 3 times a week. On Sundays I bicycle ride. At 60 I'm not expecting to impress the ladies on the beach, but I don't want my weight loss to be from muscle tissue.
  • spricia
    spricia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Does 59 1/2 count? In 5 months I'll be 60, so I relate to someone who's 60 a lot better than someone who's 50. My problem was, and still is, energy and stamina. I spent too many hours in the past decade in front of the computer or television. Motivating myself to walk out the door is my biggest stumbling block.

When I started using MFP again, about a month ago, I found both my energy level and my stamina have improved because I know that I want to be under my calorie count every day and 1200 doesn't seem like enough to eat. When I can gain 100-300 or more calories by moving, I do it. I don't always eat all of my calories back, but I always eat some of them back.

I try to do at least 30 minutes of something every day, if I can.
    I wear a pedometer and try to put as many steps on there as I have time to do.
    I have a Wii and just started doing the "Free Step" while I watch TV. 30 minutes go by fast that way.
    I try to get a little exercise done in the morning (I am not a morning person) even if it's walking the dog for 5 minutes.
    I have a goal to lose weight for. My thirty-something son and I have always wanted to go to Cedar Point and we plan on going next year, while I'm still young enough to go on the roller coasters. That's my motivation. I want to have the energy and stamina to enjoy this.

The weight is coming off at about 1 pound a week. That seems excruciatingly slow to me, compared to what I was able to accomplish when I was younger, so I try not to think about the (slow) speed of it. I just pat myself on the back each week for the accomplishment.