My first 10 mile race. Help!

Options
Hey all, I signed up for my first race! Yeah for me! Its a ten mile run in Chicago. I'm in week four of my ten week training program and started to lose a little motivation. Six days a week is a bit tiresome! The first few weeks I really looked forward to my workouts but this week has been a drag for some reason. I just dont feel like working out.
I could really use some support and/or tips from anyone who has run a race like this or just from anyone with some good old fashioned words of encouragement. :smile: Thank you!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I signed up for my first race! Yeah for me! Its a ten mile run in Chicago. I'm in week four of my ten week training program and started to lose a little motivation. Six days a week is a bit tiresome! The first few weeks I really looked forward to my workouts but this week has been a drag for some reason. I just dont feel like working out.
    I could really use some support and/or tips from anyone who has run a race like this or just from anyone with some good old fashioned words of encouragement. :smile: Thank you!
    Could you maybe try running every other day? Up the mileage, and decrease the number of days?
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Hi. I signed up for a 16km race last year (I think that is 10 miles). I trained, sure, but not every day. I don't even think I ran 16km at any stage before the event. I hadn't done any event that was 16km before, I'd done 10 and 13km so distance ish - but not 16km.

My advice is try and do running three times a week - build up the distance and do other training on other days - if you feel like it. You need recovery time too

Good luck :-)
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Is that the perfect 10? I'll be running in that! :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Congrats on going for your first race! I would maybe try backing off to 4 days a week. I don't run 6x a week for a marathon, and I vary my runs so I never get bored of them (each week contains a long run, a recovery run, a set of hill repeats, and a speed/tempo run) . Every runner has his/her own preferred way of training, but it sounds like you're getting a bit burnt out on the 6x/week schedule. It will also help to add in some strength training sessions each week to prevent injury (lunges, core work, pushups etc). Good Luck!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I'm training for my first ever 13K and am following a Hal Higdon training program for Novice 15K/10 mile.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51127/15K-10-mile-Novice-Training-Program

It has me running 3 days a week.

Before this, I was working on a half marathon training program (planning to not go past the 13K/8 mile mark) that had me running 5 days a week. It was pretty miserable pretty quick and I ran into a minor injury. I am much happier following the Hal Higdon program and am progressing much better. You might want to check it out. Start at the week that you are comfortable at or work backwards from your race date.

Good luck and ENJOY your training and race!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For one thing you don't need to run six days a week and probably shouldn't. Even most marathon training programs are four or five days a week. I'm currently doing a cool runnings half marathon program that's five days a week and I sometimes question even that. Four days a week is definetely sufficient if you're feeling over worked, five is probably optimal, but not strictly necessary. Once I finish my half I think I'm going to drop to four and do weights three days a week.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you really don't need 6 days. Nothing wrong with 6 but you can train with fewer. When you finish a workout are you glad you did it? If so, maybe keep reminding yourself of that. How do feel after the first mile or so? For me that "warmup" is the hardest part and then I am fine. Do you have anybody to run with? That can help too

Are you training for the race at Navy Pier?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Drive to a different starting point. If I just run around my neighborhood every day, I definitely get bored.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I differ from others and think six days a week is fine. However, if you have lost motivation I imagine it is because you are overtired and your body doesn't want to run in that state.

Slow down the pace until you feel better. That will allow you to recover while still building fitness. After you feel better keep the pace slower until your fitness improves to where you can speed it up without undue fatigue. If you are doing a weekly tempo or speed session then keep the pace slow the day after.

You are trying to build aerobic capacity to run the 10 mile race. You don't need to run fast to do that but you do need to run often and occasionally run long.
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes, I am running the 'perfect 10' in chicago. Ive been following the hal higdon training program for beginners so i run 3 days a week, cross train 3 days a weeks (i think?) and do stregth and extra stretching on any two days for a total of 6 days a week.
    I think i might rework the training so i have two days off instead of one. Honestly, after posting my original message I took my dog for a walk and then had the motivation to do my scheduled two mile run. I really wasnt planning on it but just getting on the message board and thinking about the positive things people might say really helped. Ive had a lot of people in my family be really discouraging so having something like myfitnesspal really helps. Thanks everyone!!!!
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    go perfect 10!:happy:
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    thanks for the tip on starting from a new location. I tried that this week, thanks google maps!, and it did help.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If your 3 cross-training days are just other forms of cardio, I think you'd be totally fine to skip those entirely for now, all 3 of them if you like. 3 days of running and 2 days of strength training are enough to get you in great health, and as long as your long runs are long enough to cover the distance, you'll be fine to finish.

For a future race, adding more running could help you improve upon the record you set at this upcoming race.
    For now, it might be better to take it more gradually, in hopes of actually enjoying your runs so that you stay motivated to continue for the future rather than burning out.
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    If your 3 cross-training days are just other forms of cardio, I think you'd be totally fine to skip those entirely for now, all 3 of them if you like. 3 days of running and 2 days of strength training are enough to get you in great health, and as long as your long runs are long enough to cover the distance, you'll be fine to finish.

For a future race, adding more running could help you improve upon the record you set at this upcoming race.
    For now, it might be better to take it more gradually, in hopes of actually enjoying your runs so that you stay motivated to continue for the future rather than burning out.
    yes, im trying to focus my energy on the run days. ive switched my run and cross days so i run when im optimal, ie not hung over or tired etc. enjoying my runs seems like a long ways off haha. i like the feeling of finishing thats for sure! thanks for the tips! its good to remember that its about great health. thank you for that.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You might feel even fresher on your runs if you skip some of the cross train days, because you'll be rested.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm actually following the same plan for the same race :) I sometimes do the extra workouts, sometimes don't. Burning out would be worse!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip on starting from a new location. I tried that this week, thanks google maps!, and it did help.
    Also: if music is boring, try AUDIBLE.com
    I listen to murder mysteries...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I only run four days each week. I find that my body needs the recovery time - but always wants to run on run days. I agree with the other posters who said cut back the numbers of days and I also suggest you vary your run: 2 easy miles followed by intervals of 2min conversational pace, 30 seconds fast, 2 min conversational pace, 30 seconds fast, etc., then 1 more converstional pace mile. other days run a conversational pace 4 miles - the next week 5 miles, etc.

The intervals help to ready you for a race (at least from everything I've read, which is why I am doing it this way to prepare for my first race). Varying your running will develop different aspects of your athleticism and running ability / pace / stamina. I am finding the method to be successful at increasing my pace and stamina and I am in week 2.