Your calories before vs now??

Options
Just for fun! I don't know exactly what I was eating before (because I was way too scared to every count), but considering I used to drink 2-3 44 oz. Mountain Dews a day at around 600 calories each, I know it was way more than now! I was probably topping 3,000 calories! Now I'm down to about 1,900 a day. Has anybody else made a huge cut and is equally shocked at how awful they were before?

Replies

• lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i've never really counted either (far to ashamed lol) but if i had to guess i'd say it would be in the 3000-4000 calorie a day range, i was portion heavy with things like pasta, rice, and potatoes, regularly had a very thick piece of homemade bread covered in butter to accompany my "healthy" homemade soup (some of them are really healthy put quite a few of them had loads of cheese in) i would eat large 250g bars of chocolate and drink sugary drinks all day long
    now i eat between 1500-2000 calories depending on how hungry i am and how much exercise i've done
    i cant say it shocked me that much because i was well aware that what i was doing wasnt healthy, i was just in a place where i didnt really care what i was doing to myself
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I recon I used to eat about 2500 - 3000 a day :noway:

But now I eat 1500 - and my exercise calories :smile:
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    No clue!
    But I could polish off a bag of almost a whole bag of doritos, eat bowls 2-3 cups each of instant potatoes, popcorn with melted butter and chocolate candy bars on top... OMG!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i was eating 4-5K a day. the 5k days were fridays and saturdays when i'd go out drinking

now i eat around 2K total
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hahah no clue.. all i can say is a lot a lot a lot a lot I was a fast food junky:(
    Know 1000 to 800 cal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great idea.

Puts the whole "I couldn't possibly eat more than 1200 calories up to 1600, I'd gain on 400 extra calories" into perspective when one used to eat 1200 more in general, like 2800-3000.

And yes, before, on some days after a workout day, of not eating enough frankly, I'd be very hungry, and go overboard on easily 3500-4000.
    Now eating 2000, and if exercise too much, more.

Of course, TDEE now is around 2500.
  • drumprincess1
    Options
    how funny! i was just thinking about that when i saw this post! im not sure what i was eating before i started counting. i was definitely not paying attention though.....that explains why i gained 15 pounds in 6 months....and im only 5 2! i remember i would drink energy drinks and soda. i also would eat fast food a lot....like almost every day!!!!!! there are some things i used to eat and i look at the calories now...and i think to myself "what the heck was i thinking?!" im just glad i can make smarter choices at a young age. some people don't figure it out until they are in their 40's!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well a 2ltr bottle of coke has how many cals? I used to drink 4 bottles a day.... then add mac & cheese, pizza & other fat filled food. No wonder I put on weight. I'm guessing close to 10k a day perhaps. Yeah I SHOULD be dead.....

then add the Jim Beam as well, oh and Vodka...... daily full size bottles
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'd guess I was eating somewhere between 2000-2500 calories a day.
    On a slow metabolism 5'0" frame doing absolutely no exercise whatsoever.
    Although even with exercise I think 2,500 would be too much for how short I am.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Biscuits were my weakness - and lollies and chocolate!! Basically all things sweet. I could easily eat half a block of chocolate (about 700 calories) after dinner, lollies at lunch time - 250+ calories, and 5 or 6 biscuits in the afternoon... I would be around 1500 calories a day if I took out all my junk food !!

*edit*
    I say "were" my weakness. They still are... sigh
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    From what I eat now I could go from dangerously low to VERY high so instead of the 10710 I'm allowed per week I'd easily say I'd be going easily near the 15000. With all the full fat dairy in HUGE portions (I could easily drink a litre of milk a day), chips, 2 sandwiches for lunch and huge portions of rice and wet dishes for dinner. Not to mention all the salt... and energy drinks. I'd have a large 500ml red bull every week day. Although my diet wasn't 'bad' it was just too much food and not enough education on what I was eating.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Well a 2ltr bottle of coke has how many cals? I used to drink 4 bottles a day.... then add mac & cheese, pizza & other fat filled food. No wonder I put on weight. I'm guessing close to 10k a day perhaps. Yeah I SHOULD be dead.....

The coke has nearly 900, I think 890... ish. Ouch.
  • laurwillbelovely
    Options
    Oh goodness yes! I eat between 1200 and 1500 now and the other day I had a niece's birthday party so pretty much ate my fill (a "normal" amount) I think I worked out it was about 2000-2500 calories and I felt sick all the next day. It wasn't even particularly unhealthy.

I used to have a huge bowl of pasta and half a block of family-sized chocolate most evenings! I think it was close to 2500-3000 calories each day. yuck.
  • tonyggd
    tonyggd Posts: 23
    Options
    I was probably on about 4000+ a day, now between 1500 & 1700
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My average was probably 3000-4000 calories with days with over 7000 before. I drank A LOT of mountain dew and I ate tons of potatoes with toppings, cheese, chips, pasta, and all of that. I would go out and get a large fry and 6 piece cheese sticks at Jack in the Box a few times a week as a "snack".

Now I eat around 1700-2000 calories a day depending on exercise and am steadily losing 1.5-2 pounds a week and I feel more full than I ever did before because I'm sticking to healthier and more filling choices! I also enjoy those days I eat out a lot more because they are more of a treat.
  • MikesterAZ
    MikesterAZ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been on here about a week so far and the first couple of days I was absolutely shocked at what I was eating!! After a week I've gotten it down to the goal amount and even went under a couple of times. I hope that trend continues. I got a lot of exercise today and that has helped too. Like you, I drink a lot of soda and sugar in my coffee, but I switched to diet soda and cut out the sugar. That made a big difference. Luckily I don't have to break the fast food habit as I'm basically on a food-box budget right now. I do have trouble when my gifts of food are unhealthy ones. Like the other day I was given a bunch of deli sandwiches, when I went to record them I found out they were like 800 calories each. Two of them was my whole day's allotment!!! But I couldn't let them spoil ... I'd have nothing else to eat. So I'm doing my best with what I have to work with.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to eat between 1500 and 2000 a day. I'm 5'6" and back then I weighed less than 100 pounds.

Now I eat between 2500 and 3000 a day, and I weigh a healthy 130 pounds.
  • MikesterAZ
    MikesterAZ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mountain Dew is my absolute favorite and I'd think nothing of drinking several 44oz'rs a day. Yum on the cheese sticks!! I had some Tacos the other day from JITB and they were sooooo good. I rarely get fast food anymore so it's an absolute joy.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

The coke has nearly 900, I think 890... ish. Ouch.

Yeah sounds about right. Yeah I was kinda killing myself with it. That's and not one shred of exercise.... yep.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I was working, I think I was eating about what I am eating now - 16-1800.

Plus doughnuts, half a pack of biscuits could be mainlined, chocolate, brownies (half a tub from Sainsbury's), plus the odd chocolate bar. In roughly a week.

And though I did have a gym membership, I found the place to be intimidating and I just didn't have the energy after a stressful day at work to do anything but go home and open the wine/beer/port/brandy.

Thinking about it, I clearly have a naturally fast metabolism as that's a ridiculous amount of calories!