Hard Boiled Eggs

Options
13»

Replies

• gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Easy test: when the shell dries immediately when you lift it out of water, it is soft boiled ready for eggy soldiers.

For Hard boiled, leave it in the water for a further minute.

Just like me mum taught me many eaons ago!

What is an "eggy soldier"?? Are we really supposed to know what you mean by this??
  • deales
    deales Posts: 13
    Options
    I start with cold water, bring to a boil, and when the eggs start to float, they should be done- takes around 5 minutes once the water is boiling, sometimes longer, but you don't want to drop the eggs into already-boiling water because it can crack the shells.
    ]

EEk......if eggs are floating, it mean's they're going off :-(
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Easiest way I have found is

1. Put eggs in pot
    2. Add water just to cover eggs
    3. bring to a boil
    4. Remove from heat
    5. Cover and let stand 17 minutes
    6. dump hot water and shake eggs around in pan to break shells (allows the cold water in and separates the "egg skin" from the egg
    7. add cold water
    7. Let sit for 15 min.
    8. Will peel very easily

This way always works for me and are super easy to peel
    I do this except for step six (breaking the shells). I'm going to try this next time.
  • srhargraves
    Options
    I put them in a pan of cold water with a palm full of salt in the water. I boil them for 20 minutes and they come out perfect. The reason for the salt? They peel perfectly when I add salt. Otherwise they usually tear up and I have funny looking boiled eggs.
  • annduong
    Options
    That's not a dumb question! Don't worry, a lot of people are new to different sort of things, and this is one of them for you.

What I do is I take about half a pot of cold tap water (or how much you like depending on the number of eggs you're boiling) and put it on the stove. The heat is between between and high. I wait until the water's bubbling before I put in the eggs for ten to fifteen minutes. I then pour the water out and place the eggs in a sieve where I run cold tap water over it for a little while before placing them in the fridge overnight.

Hope that helped you.
  • srhargraves
    Options
    OH, and I peel them immediately. No need to wait. The salt makes them peel perfectly..
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave egg cooker. Looks like a big egg. Does 4.
    I was skeptical ,but it makes perfect eggs in about 8 minutes.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite way...the eggs come out perfectly: put eggs into the pan and add enough water to cover them. Place pan on the burner on high and bring to a boil. Once it boils for about a minute, remove the pan form the heat and cover it. Let sit for 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water, and your eggs are ready to peel and eat. I just had one this morning for breakfast!
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I place the eggs in cold water, then add a few shakes of salt to the water. This will help make the eggs easier to peel. Then I bring to a boil. Once at a complete boil, I remove from heat and cover for 15 minutes. Then remove them from the hot water and dunk in ice water for a few seconds. You know they are done when you spin them on the table and they spin very fast! If they spin slowly, they didn't cook!
  • warsenic
    Options
    I actually cook mine in an electric kettle.

I put the eggs in, fill it until it's about an inch of water over the eggs, and let it boil. It's an automatic shut-off and I wait 15 minutes before I crack and eat them.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

1. Put eggs in pot
    3. bring to a boil
    4. Remove from heat
    6. dump hot water and shake eggs around in pan to break shells (allows the cold water in and separates the "egg skin" from the egg
    7. add cold water
    7. Let sit for 15 min.
    8. Will peel very easily

^^ This is what I do, except I only let them stand for 15 minutes in step 5 and I add ice to the water in the first step 7.
  • Jenniferlynn54
    Jenniferlynn54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bake them.....350 for 25-30 minutes depending on your liking.....
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options

1. Put eggs in pot
    3. bring to a boil
    4. Remove from heat
    7. add cold water
    7. Let sit for 15 min.
    8. Will peel very easily

^^ This is what I do, except I only let them stand for 15 minutes in step 5 and I add ice to the water in the first step 7.

I third this. Alton Brown (cooking show host) does eggs very similarly and they're always perfect, and never have that grey/green film on the yolks and are easy to peel.