I'm looking for low calorie lunch ideas.

Options
I am looking for some low calorie ideas for a quick and easy lunch. I don't eat eggs or tuna fish. Please help and pass along any ideas you may have. I get stuck in the same boring routine day in and day out. I need to think outside the box.

Replies

• thehealthymomma
    thehealthymomma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of your definition of low calorie, but my more filling lunches are homemade soup with a wrap/sandwhich. I can make a vegetable homemage soup for about 100 calories or less per cup.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I like to cook a big batch of "dinners" on Sundays and freeze them in ziploc baggies or small bowls. That way I can just grab one and make a salad/veggies & dip and have a complete lunch.
    Some examples of things I make are-
    Turkey Chili
    Bean Soup
    Zucchini Lasagna

Things that are easily reheated. Or, if I don't have any ammo in the freezer, I'll make a turkey lunch meat wrap. Sometimes on Flat Out wraps, sometimes on a big romaine lettuce leaf. I add on jalapenos, tomato, onion, and brown mustard. Yum!... With that I'll pair cottage cheese, grapes, sugar free jello cup, broccoli & yogurt dip, special K cracker chips.... Any combo of those things! My lunch is usually >300 cals
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You can buy chicken in a can just like tuna. Do it up with some relish and mayo, buffalo sauce or lemon juice with salt and pepper.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I actually just made an awesome bean soup yesterday that I'm having for lunch today (really simple recipe!)-

One can reduced sodium black beans, one can kidney/pinto/some type of light bean (I rinse the beans to further reduce sodium)
    Two cups reduced sodium veggie broth
    2 T chopped garlic
    1 T olive oil
    2 cups chopped kale
    2 cans no salt added diced tomatoes
    1 t red pepper flakes (adds flavor, if you don't like spice, don't use)
    1 t no-salt salt
    1 chopped onion
    Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Put the olive oil, onion, garlic and pepper flakes in a soup pot. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add in the veggie broth, tomatoes, beans and no-salt salt. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in kale, let simmer until the kale is wilted.
    Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

My batch made about 7-8 cups (about 6 servings)

Calories depend on what type of beans you use- my batch is less than 200 cals/serving
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I very often go for Turkey sandwiches. Turkey seems to be the lowest calorie lunch meat. Another thing I eat a lot is air popped popcorn. It's practically zero calories for a huge amount. I add a little butter spray and salt. Raw veggies are good too.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sounds like great ideas. And yes I need them to be filling:) I would love the veggie soup recipe! Please share.
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Veggie wrap is a favorite for me, or a good soup.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat salad all the time.

Basic is always: lettuce, tomato, cucumber and a light mustard-honey dressing

Then you can add:
    cousous, grilled aubergines, grilled zucchini, mini potatos, mozarella, dried fruits, pesto, joghurt, etc. - what ever you want.

If you eat it without bread it around 250 calories.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Beans and salsa. One cup of beans and a 1/4 cup of salsa is about 250.

Rice and Lentils with salsa about the same.

www.scoobysworkshop.com has a bunch of quick easy recipes high in protein.
  • dc_smile2002
    dc_smile2002 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm big on lunch salad with the occasional leftovers from dinner the night before. You're welcome to take a look at my diary for inspiration.
  • Khymera
    Khymera Posts: 67
    Options
    Today, I'm having 4 oz of roasted turkey breast and half a cup of quinoa tabbouleh. That's less than 300 calories.
  • pastabelly
    pastabelly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found some 68 calorie tomato basil tortillas that are high in fiber and filling. ive been making wraps with chipotle chicken, lettuce,tomatoes, onion, reduced fat cheddar cheese. yummy and filling and low cal!
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Where do you get the chicken? Do you use a dressing or buy the flavored chicken? Thanks for all the ideas.
  • bwoz11
    bwoz11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i make cheese quesadillas for lunch, usually around 160 cals and really easy to make. and a lot of fruit, sometimes carrots or another veggie. :)
  • pastabelly
    pastabelly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I buy the BoarsHead chipotle chicken in the deli.