When you first started... how long could you run for?

Options
2»

Replies

• maryloo2011
    Options
    I decided that since I'm going on a cruise in 5 weeks... It was time to REALLY throw the diet/exercise into gear... The first 2 hrs of my day this morning were spend in the gym.

After 1/2 hr bike and 1/2 hr elliptical I decided to take my crack at the treadmill... I only lasted 2 minuted on 5 mph before I turned it back down to a walking speed :( Where did you start? How long did it take you before you could jog a mile without stopping?

You did an hour of cardio work before hitting the treadmill?? That's a lot... try running first next time, I'm not surprised you zonked out earlier than you thought you would.

When I first started, I think I could do about 10 minutes TOPS at 5.5 :D
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Only a couple of minutes. Now I can run pushing the jogging stroller for 3.2 miles! Slow your speed, that's a bit fast, add strength, it will increase your endurance, and get fitted with the proper running shoes for your stride, gait, and needs. Remember, your legs are not tired, your mind is giving up. KEEP GOING! Great job!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When I first started years ago, I could jog for maybe 30 seconds. I felt like I weighed ten million pounds. My legs and feet felt like lead weights! But I had a little circle that I ran around the neighborhood, and every day, I just tried to run a little bit more than the day before. It took a whole year before I could jog the entire length. It was about a half a mile. Over the course of the next two years, I added a little more of the neighborhood to my circuit until I was jogging about 2 miles every day.

Now I have completed three half marathons, and I have signed up for a distance challenge this winter to do three half marathons in December, January and February. It only took me 18 years :-)
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    When I first started, It took me 3minutes or so to run 1/4 of a mile and that was pushing it! 6 months later I am running 2 to 2 1/2 miles in about 26 minutes....non-stop! Looking to do a 5k sometime soon!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I could only run for about 20 seconds when I started. I could only walk for about 4-5 minutes. C25k fixed me right up. No I can jog for 28 minutes! :bigsmile:

Agreed. C25K is amazing. :)
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had to work my way up to starting c25k. Seriously, I could not run 60 seconds when I started. Now I can run over 3 miles without stopping - and that's in just a few months time.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the exact date but it was probably back in March/April that I ran a mile without having to slow down to a walk. It was a giant accomplishment for me. First time at Age 42 I had ran a mile since I had to run laps around the ball park for failing to run out a base hit to first in Little League.

In July I ran a 10K but I had to slow down to a walk maybe 4 or 5 times during the race to get my heart rate down to something acceptable.

I have run a 2 competition 5Ks since then, one in August and one in September which was the day after I did the warrior dash.

I can do 6 mile runs now and generally but not always I can do them without having to slow down to walking speed. I have a 5K this month, a 10k and a 5k in november (the 5K is on thanksgiving so I can have pie) and it's my intention to have a monthly race and next november run a 1/2 marathon.

This is all comig slowly. My best 5K time is just under 30 minutes and my best 10K time is just in 1:06:00 but that is not during a race, my best race 10K was just under an hour twenty but I didn't run it the whole way though so I'll improve my race time by just showing up and not walking :) I'd like to improve on the 1:06:00 I hit on the rails-to-trails recently.

My running times and endurance have been slowly improving. I think the mentality of my fitness may be changing. I was supposed to lift/machines on Saturday and I chose to run instead. I ran last night to try out my first pair of proper running shoes (they rock) and I'm trying to convince myself not to run but lift tonight. I'll probably bargin with my inner voice and run a mile to warm up before I lift and maybe another mile to cool down when I'm done. :)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I was at a minute of solid running when I started. And that was HARD. Huffing and puffing and wanting to kill someone hard.

Now I can run 3 miles, around 35 minutes without stopping. (8 months later)
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I could probably make it about 2-3 minutes before I had to stop. It just takes time. Keep doing intervals of like 2 mins jogging and 3 mins walking for awhile and then gradually up the jogging time and decrease the walking time every so often. It'll get better!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    30 seconds. Now I struggle for 10 solid minutes but I've done 20.
  • karagetsfit
    Options
    Outside- about 30 seconds. On a treadmill- 1 minute.
  • shellnosoul
    shellnosoul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I could run for about 4 minutes and I usually thought I was going to die! Now I can run for 20 minutes without interruption :)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I first started walking the track & when I decided to try running, I could only run a quarter of ONE lap before my lungs felt like they would explode! Gradually I just walked less & ran a little more till I got where I could complete the whole lap at a run. At that point it became much easier to keep running after I conquered that first lap!

I haven't looked at your weight goal, but I also stepped up my game to get ready for a cruise (we set sail next Monday) & was not able to pull it off as quickly as I liked. I doubled my workouts & cut my calories in half & still only lost 3 pounds, however, I have trimmed a couple inches & people are starting to notice.

Good luck & have fun on your cruise!

Awesome!!! Have fun! where are you going?
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I could run for about 4 minutes and I thought I was going to die. Now I can go til about the 2 mile mark before I need a 20-second walk.

BUT... I see that you're only doing cardio. Have you thought about adding any weight training in there since you're already at the gym for 2 hours? I started doing strictly cardio, but once I added in the weight training, the pounds came off a lot quicker. Even if you do a split- one hour weights, one hour cardio, I bet you'd get much better results! If you're open to it, I could help you build an easy beginner weights program :smile:

Hey there! I actually did about 20 minutes of weights after I gave up on the treadmill... I did the circuit of the weight machines at the gym... Only 1 round of 15 reps on each machine (Maybe 20/25) Machines... Depending on which muscle group... 25-55lbs for arms 70-120lbs for legs... Wish it could have been longer but had to get showered and changed for work. I would LOVE your help with a weight routine... I really like doing weight training!... Well We have a love/hate relationship... I don't really LOVE doing it, but I do Love the results I get and the feeling that I have actually accomplished something.
  • martyfen
    Options
    I have just started running, at the moment i can run just over a half mile but each time i go out i increase my distance by a block. Im hoping to berunning 5k by the spring:)
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In April I started running, and could barely manage 90 seconds running straight. By May I could run about 2 miles without stopping, and 2 weeks ago I ran my first half marathon in 2.5 hours (no walking at all). You'll get there, it just takes time and dedication and patience to build up your endurance :)

Awesome!!
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    30 seconds ! When I started C25K and that was really hard, yesterday, week 6 I ran for 25 mins, which I never thought I'd do!