Making the jump from 1200 calories to TDEE

Options
I've been stalled now for a few weeks and need to shake things up. I've been staying at 1200, but eating back some exercise calories. This has worked well for a while, but my effort is not showing on the scale anymore. I am going to try to subtract 20% from my TDEE (which will be about 1700 per day-WAY more than I've been eating even with exercise calories) and follow this plan.

For anyone who has made this switch, what can I expect for the first few weeks? A gain on the scale? Any advice would be appreciated.

I also intend to increase my strength training from about 20 minutes per day to about 45.

Replies

• PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this too :) Thanks for posting
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've all but given up as I have been doing the same as you and have not lost for months now- do hope some people have some suggestions x
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I did this not too long ago....was stuck on a plateau for months! I've figured out that I stall out on too few calories. I didn't want to rely on exercise that I 'might' be doing even though I'm consistent, so I reduced my Sedentary TDEE number by 15% and use that. that brings me to 1398 so I've reset MFP to 1400 and eat ALL of my exercise calories

Depending on whether I run or do bootcamp that day it works out to an extra 200-500 calories per day...no extras on a rest day.
    I've also reset my macros for 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 30% fat. I mainly try to focus on getting my protein up and letting the rest fall where they may. I haven't eliminated anything from my diet but try to be sensible.

since doing this I lost 2.5 lbs the first week! I only have 10 lbs or so to lose so that was huge for me!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oh and I meant to add that I use a HRM for accuracy in exercise cals and that I never net below my BMR which is 1340 or so. :)
    So far so good and I feel so much better!!
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I didn't do such a drastic jump. I went from 1200 (but eating back most or all exercise cals) to 1400 (ditto). Working so far.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Increase slowly, like 100 cals per week.
  • cheyenuff
    cheyenuff Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump - I am curious to see how this has worked for others as well.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am going to try and reset to 1400 and see what happens. Thanks for your advice!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've been stalled now for a few weeks and need to shake things up. I've been staying at 1200, but eating back some exercise calories. This has worked well for a while, but my effort is not showing on the scale anymore. I am going to try to subtract 20% from my TDEE (which will be about 1700 per day-WAY more than I've been eating even with exercise calories) and follow this plan.

For anyone who has made this switch, what can I expect for the first few weeks? A gain on the scale? Any advice would be appreciated.

I also intend to increase my strength training from about 20 minutes per day to about 45.

Why didn't you up the intensity of your exercise if stalling?
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Why didn't you up the intensity of your exercise if stalling?

If you up the intensity of your workout, you need to up calories. Or you just increase the chances of additional muscle mass loss. The biggest issue why most people plateau (at least I have seen) is people over extend their weight loss per week goal, under eat and plateau. This is why when people plateau, they suggest eating at maintenance for a few weeks, to allow your body to recover. You also have to understand there are hormonal responses to a calorie deficit that you want to eliminate once in a while.

OP, even if you went to 1700, the worse you can see if a few lbs of water weight added which will come off fairly quickly. Also, take a week off from exercise to allow your body to recoup. I do this every 90 days... take a break from exercise and CR. I haven't had a plateau in over a year and I only need to cut about another 7 lbs of fat to hit 6% body fat. Also, when you start again, make sure you cut 20% from your TDEE (to include exercise). A moderate deficit is better long term and will help prevent muscle loss (if protein is high enough and you do resistance training).
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty intense already. Between 60-90 minutes of aerobic exercise per day-elliptical, running, cycling (I stay in my aerobic threshold throughout though) and 20-30 minutes of weight training. My body fat is 21%, so I'm fairly lean (for a 42 year old woman). I was actually thinking that I might be too intense and that's why I thought about upping the calories by a bit. I don't want to lose lean muscle mass and just see a number on the scale.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Check out the group EM2WL - eat more to weigh less. Be sure to read the stickies, it tells you everything to expect. And yes it works if you use it correctly. I'm walking proof, 29 lbs later. Good luck!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Check your protein levels as well. It may help to increase protein and slightly decrease carbs (In the form of sweets, breads, pastas, etc - unless whole grain) that may help as well =D
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty intense already. Between 60-90 minutes of aerobic exercise per day-elliptical, running, cycling (I stay in my aerobic threshold throughout though) and 20-30 minutes of weight training. My body fat is 21%, so I'm fairly lean. I was actually thinking that I might be too intense and that's why I thought about upping the calories by a bit.

You may slow down your weight loss a bit, but you are getting in an excellent amount of exercise. BTW, most guides recommend a rest day from intense cardio and strength trainig. You could do something else, such as yoga, or walking.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Would you please post some updates a few weeks in and let us know how you get on?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    This worked for me! I only allowed myself to weigh in once every 3 weeks so I can not say what happened the first week but it did not take me long to lose that last 5 lbs (I was 43 at the time) that was on my "wish list".

I simply could not believe that eating more would assist me in losing weight so the hardest thing to do was wrap my head around it, after I did, I will NEVER go back!

In saying that, I also added low glycemic foods such as sweet potatoes and quinoa to up my calories, I honestly believe that was one of the keys to my success.