Low Carb Diet???

Options
Anyone doing one or have done one thay worked really well for you that you would recommend?

Replies

• fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I follow the following macros and it's REALLY working for me even though I'm super close to my goal: 30% carbs, 50% protein, 20% fat - I plan on following this until I get to my goal weight then I'm going to up the carbs to 40% and bring protein down to 40%.

Low carb diets work because it means there is less insulin in the bloodstream. Insulin in the bloodstream has a tendency to slow down the fat burning process. This lower carb diet in particular is quite nice because you're "allowed" to eat enough carbs to have several servings of fruit and veggies a day, get plenty of fiber, and obtain long lasting energy through complex carbs - and yet the insulin in the bloodstream is significantly reduced as compared with a higher carb diet. You also have plenty of energy for high intensity exercise.

I love it and it's working for me :) Feel free to friend me so you can stalk my diary, if you'd like!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Avoid wheat and refined sugar, and the rest falls into place.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Its funny how I've never been interested in a "low carb diet" but just looking at my numbers, the carbs are naturally lower (about average 150). Not anything drastic, but a good number for me. I eat a lot of whole foods and sneak in some junk foods. Its amazing once I just ate better how my macros balanced themselves out.

That said, I do eat a lot of whole grain/wheat foods and sugar free stuff so that helps keep it low. I bulk my meals with 3-4 servings of vegetables, lots of fruit and chicken. I like it, it works for me. Do a bit of experimenting and see what you find satisfying. That's the difference between failure and success.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    LCHF for beginners:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Currently using a 5/30/65 carb/protein/fat ratio. Works great for me! Eating more whole veggies and I still have plenty of energy to jog around :)
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I TRY to follow one. When I do, I have great results. I am prediabetic, so I try keeping my carbs to fruits, veggies and whole grains. :)
  • SommerKMayorga
    Options
    I follow South Beach, have been for about 6 months and I've never felt better or more like this is something I can follow for the rest of my life! I'm 6 lbs shy of my 40 lb goal. South Beach starts out very low carb, but then you phase in only healthy carbs, such as 100% whole wheat carbs and other fruits and veggies that are low on the glycemic index. I know several other people who follow it and have had great success too. Something to consider!
  • timebomb821
    timebomb821 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've read few days ago that low carb and evenly balanced diets are different in short term result, but they are similar in long term. So my advice is to decide if you like or not fruit and whole-wheat bread as much as me and it means a lot.

I stick to the evenly balanced diet and it is working for me.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Insulin actually stops fat burning altogether. It preserves and creates fat. Everyone who burns fat enters a state of Ketosis whether they realize it or not. It's the only mechanism for fat loss. This is in stark contrast to lean muscle loss, which occurs when insulin and carbohydrates are present in high doses and yet there is a calorie deficit going on.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_for_fat_loss/high-insulin-levels-stop-fat-loss-and-cause-weight-gain/

http://www.fitnesscontrarian.com/insulin-and-fat/

Your body was not designed to eat refined carbs and sugars. Period. Disease and inflammation in killing people and it's source is carbs. The science is clear...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I won't do low carb or low fat or low protein, just low calories, and even my calories aren't very low compared to most diets. Carbs are energy and when you drastically cut your food intake, high fiber carbs eaten with your fats and protein makes for a healthy, well-balanced meal that keeps me full until the next meal time. I try to keep everything balanced and in moderation, no extremes.
  • Mom_4_More_Muscles
    Options
    Avoid wheat and refined sugar, and the rest falls into place.

^ ^ THIS, for sure!! :happy:
  • Kendra0024
    Kendra0024 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, so I limit my carbs to aid in my weight loss. I have my settings for 20% carbs, 20% fat, and 60% protein (per my doc's suggestion). So far, so good for me. I'm down 12.5 lbs in just under a month.
  • mom060812
    Options
    Avoid wheat? I thought it was white bread and anything else white I needed to avoid?
  • hbaby2
    hbaby2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wheat belly (a book) is a good place to start. Doesnt limit all carbs but promotes a clean, wheat free diet. It works. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Avoid wheat? I thought it was white bread and anything else white I needed to avoid?

There is no benefit to avoiding wheat unless you have allergies or gluten issues. Also, there really is no benefit to avoiding "white" foods.

Grains are healthy part of a well-rounded diet.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

There is no benefit to avoiding wheat unless you have allergies or gluten issues. Also, there really is no benefit to avoiding "white" foods.

Grains are healthy part of a well-rounded diet.

A well rounded diet CAN be low carb, but obviously you can't have too many grains on a low carb diet. I do manage to fit a high fiber flax/oat bran pita into my breakfast. It's tasty with guacamole, which will keep me full throughout the day.

You don't need to avoid carbs, since even eggs, to my understanding, are not totally carb free. I think if you come at it from the eating whole foods angle, you should be okay. Since doing low carb I have started eating tons of vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, bell peppers, brussels sprouts) and plenty of meat and dairy.

I would do my best to just eat better sources of carbs than to just cut them out altogether. Also, avoid anything marketed by Atkins. Sugar alcohols can stall you more than help you.