Calories for "off diet' days

Options
Hello,

I have been dieting for 3 weeks now eating about 1200 - 1400 each day....usually around 1200-1300. I have heard that taking an 'off' day increases your metabolism. (Weight loss has been kind of stagnant for a week now..and I can't figure out if that's because i'm now exercising a lot and building muscle, or if it' s because my body is trying to keep on to the calories I do eat because I do have a low intake. )

So, for 'off diet' days, how 'off' can I go? I don't really like the idea of putting bad stuff in me after working so hard. I don't want to jeopardize my diet. Any suggestions? Personal experience? I have already added what I plan on eating today to my food diary today, so take a peek if you want. Let me know if it's a little too crazy.

I'm also not exercising today, after 10 days of straight exercise for 40-60mins a day.

Replies

• krewela
    krewela Posts: 20
    Options
    An "off" day is a GOOD thing! I usually try to line mine up with a family function, so if I 'cheat', I don't worry! If nothing is on your calendar, just have a favorite thing that you've deprived yourself of during one meal, or go to your favorite restaurant. You will find that you will eat less of whatever it is because you know you don't need it, and you might also notice that it doesn't even taste as good as you thought it might, which will keep future temptation at bay. Overall, the idea is to switch up your metabolism, but also to give you a mental break. Good luck! =)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have been dieting for 3 weeks now eating about 1200 - 1400 each day....usually around 1200-1300. I have heard that taking an 'off' day increases your metabolism. (Weight loss has been kind of stagnant for a week now..and I can't figure out if that's because i'm now exercising a lot and building muscle, or if it' s because my body is trying to keep on to the calories I do eat because I do have a low intake. )

So, for 'off diet' days, how 'off' can I go? I don't really like the idea of putting bad stuff in me after working so hard. I don't want to jeopardize my diet. Any suggestions? Personal experience? I have already added what I plan on eating today to my food diary today, so take a peek if you want. Let me know if it's a little too crazy.

just remember on ur "off" diet day should be ur highest exercise day..
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I know that it does work for me but I won't be very helpful, simply because when I take an 'off' day I just refuse to count my calories. I eat whatever I want (without binging though) and then the next morning, I don't weigh myself and try to be very good all day. Usually two or three days after that, I'm under the weight I was when I was plateau-ing. Hope I'm clear, my English is not that good ;) Anyway, good luck! :))
  • ChanginRach
    ChanginRach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Hmm..Ok, I will definitely do an off day for lunch, and eat normally the rest of the day. I was feeling like my body was definitely needing something yesterday, so today's the day to cheat a little. I don't want to get discouraged. Monty - maybe I will exercise today then :-)
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I cut out "cheat" days where I just eat anything I want to, but on weekends I have what I guess you would call an "off" day or two. I still don't eat a bunch of junk or drink soda or anything. I just eat more of the already healthy food that I usually eat and sometimes reward myself with some non fat, no sugar added frozen yogurt. After weeks of no sweets this stuff tastes like the best ice cream you have ever ate. My current calorie level is 1300 and on my "off" days I just try not to go over 2000.
  • ChanginRach
    ChanginRach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your help! Vinini - your english is great! I understood perfectly :-)
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your help! Vinini - your english is great! I understood perfectly :-)

You are very welcome! :) And thank you! :p
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is a very debatable topic. Carb cycling can work. On the other end of the spectrum Intermittent Fasting can work too. These all depend on our own personal discipline levels. Our master over the body/mind connection can be very tricky. Its easy to trick ourselves. Sometimes for the good, sometimes and mainly for the bad. Yet, getting in a rut can be bad as well.

Another part of it depends on the frequency of "off diet" days. For some, they should plan on NEVER doing it. It really is playing with fire in my opinion. Some can get by with it but most cannot. Perhaps monthly works. For a very few it could probably be done weekly. (this never worked for me- ;( Personally I don't recommend ever having a planned "off diet" day since the unplanned and/or unavoidable "off diet" days come with everyday life (visiting relatives, being invited over for dinner, holidays, vacations, etc- the times you don't want to be a pain to the non dieters) Why kill a week of a good calorie deficit by chowing down for a day?

But, to answer your question if you want to try it out I would try not to exceed your TDEE calories on an "off diet" day. That way you are calorie neutral but are able to 'enjoy' some foods that may serve to help you be more disciplined on the "on diet" days. Determine if it works for you. If it does- great! But if it doesn't then you can step back into a more regular routine.

The main thing we can do to boost metabolism (calorie burn) is to exercise. If boosting your metabolism is your main question then I would be thinking more about how to exercise more and less about "off diet" days.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Just an obvious point, you can increase your calorie count and not make it "bad" food. Increase your count by adding healthy choices.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's definitely good to keep your body "on its toes," so to speak. Changing your routine and.or caloric intake from time to time is a good idea to keep things moving in the right direction. Some people do a combo of low cal days, then high cal days. The important part is to track everything. Otherwise, if you stall or reach a plateau, you won't have anything to look at to figure out what to change.