Eating only what you burn?

Options
I've been thinking about trying to eat only as many calories as I burn while working out. What do you think or know about that? I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out and use that as my guide for calorie burn.

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    How is your BMR going to fit into that equation?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a bad idea to me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You do realize your body requires calories/energy to fuel organ function and normal daily activities (aka getting dressed, walking to your car, bathing, walking into the gym).

This sounds extremely dangerous, and dare I say stupid. :(
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound very healthy to me. Your body requires calories just for basic functions and when you add exercise into that mix, you need more fuel. Why are you contemplating this?
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    How is your BMR going to fit into that equation?

Um, yes. This.

Doesn't sound very healthy to me. Also, I hope you don't have a job that requires a lot of thinking, etc. because this also consumes energy (calories). Just saying.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    the worst idea ever
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would do anything like that without talking to a Dr. I am under a Drs supervision and eating very low calories. It can be done but I wouldn't start it on your own...
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You'll destroy your metabolism, and your body will start to burn muscle for energy while holding onto fat for storage since it thinks your in famine. Maybe use that as a method of Intermittent fasting, and do it only a few days a week, with higher calorie days in between? Keep your body on it's toes.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Two words. Bad idea.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I really hope you are not serious. That would not be nearly enough calories for you to be healthy.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat all of it back. you just need to eat back the carbs. If you do hi intensity, I believe it is 75% carbs & 25%fat you are burning. If you are doing low insity it is like 25%carbs and 75%fat. I would only eat back the carb calories I burned instead of eating all the calories back and I would eat only carbs and very little fat and maybe some protein. but it also depends on your overall diet too.
  • Keltinator
    Options
    Possibly one of the worst ideas ever, next to not eating at all.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If this is a serious question...

If your calories in equals your calories out, then that's like never eating at all, isn't it?! And you need calories for your organs and body to stay alive. Take a sensible approach to eating and exercising or it will never work.
  • emailcrystalo
    emailcrystalo Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback - it was just a random thought I had this morning after working out. No worries - I'm not up for self destruction or anything like that. :-) Thanks for the feedback!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Yeah, I can't think of any way this could be a good idea, Unless I am just not understanding the question.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    rememmber that when you eat too little, you'll be in a ctabolic state. When you eat more than you bmr, you'll be in a anabolic state, given that you train, otherwise the extra calories will manifest itself as fat instead of muscle.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    er....No. Not a very good idea.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What about the calories you burn just being alive? That's at least 1,000 right there.
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    the worst idea ever

^^this^^
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why? I think you will eventually collapse =/