Naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yup. My mate drinks beer and eats crap and has always been skinny. The kind of skinny that many people mistake for an eating disorder! She's in her late twenties now and starting to fill out a little- but still has the kind of figure most people are envious of! However, I am healthier inside :)
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have twin sons and can attest to the fact that some people are born skinny and stay that way. Both of them are healthy and are not overweight but one has to be careful with his portions and if he stops exercising he will gain weight. The other has to eat almost nonstop to maintain a normal weight.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options

People always claim I'm naturally thin but I don't think that's the case- I know I gain weight when I eat more. I'm just generally avoiding junk food, am vegan and pretty active person. I grew up in a house where we weren't allowed any fizzy drinks or juice and only one snack a day.

This is an important "other" point. Whilst I come from a slim family (we eat well and exercise), many people say things like "Oh you're so lucky you're slim". This really annoys me because most people know that I'm active and keep an eye on what I eat. It's not luck, it's the average of 35 hours moderate to high intensity exercise a month (even when I injured myself and swapped to different exercise)!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i have been thinking about this a lot. I have a lot of naturally thin friends and i watched them over years. So here it goes: they don't avoid ANY type of food, ANY time of the day. Say, if my friend is hungry at midnight she will have a sandwich.
    They just stop eating when they are full. Even if it requires leaving some food on the plate (i've always had clean plate logic, didn't really listen to my body).
    They don't eat when they are not hungry. Simple as that.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm "naturally thin" as some people might call it (although I'm in bad shape), but not skinny. I think a little has to do with metabolism, but a lot has to do with portion control and activity. There are loads of times that I overeat, but when I started paying attention, found that often times my heavier friends would eat way more than me. I'd have one hot dog and some fries...they'd have two hot dogs. I played sports in high school...they didn't do any sports. If I overeat a ton and am pigging out every day, I gain weight, but if I eat normal portions when I'm hungry, I don't. So it comes naturally to me from lifestyle, not from genetics alone.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I don't think so.

Even when I'm "lean" I'm big...and that's because I ate like a horse when I was a teenager and lifted a lot. I was 5'10" 240" in HS, gained up to 278 in college, then lost down to my lowest at 178 in grad. school.

At 178 I'm still a "big" normal and I felt like I was rail thin. That was "too thin" for me.

Still, I ate like 3000 cals/day then, and if you weren't around me all the time and only when I was eating, it looked like I was eating any and everything. People who didn't follow me around all the time wouldn't have seen all the exercise i was doing either.

I think thin people just eat a lot less or move a lot mre than people realize.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

People always claim I'm naturally thin but I don't think that's the case- I know I gain weight when I eat more. I'm just generally avoiding junk food, am vegan and pretty active person. I grew up in a house where we weren't allowed any fizzy drinks or juice and only one snack a day.

This is an important "other" point. Whilst I come from a slim family (we eat well and exercise), many people say things like "Oh you're so lucky you're slim". This really annoys me because most people know that I'm active and keep an eye on what I eat. It's not luck, it's the average of 35 hours moderate to high intensity exercise a month (even when I injured myself and swapped to different exercise)!

I know what you mean - it's funny, the harder I work, the luckier I get!

It's funny though, being fit you can't win. You are either lucky to the people who don't recognise the effort you put in, or obsessed to those who do...
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is naturally thin. I'd say "lean" rather than thin. He's over 6ft, maybe 6ft 3 in.

When I met him, he drank the most water out of anyone I knew (2litres a day, always. Sometimes more). He drinks water, and beer. No soda, no Gatorade, no sugary coffee drinks.

He's the kind of person who works all night on a project, sun comes up, he realizes he hasn't eaten. I often think he'd only eat cereal, goldfish and cheeseburgers if I wasn't around to make him healthy food.

He also hates mayo & ranch, anything creamy, and his favorite snack is original goldfish, not cookies, not ice cream. He LOVES fish and would eat it every meal of the day. Hates fried food, thinks it's a cop out for flavor.

He used to be on crew team, working out 3-4 hours a day. He enjoyed the rapport between his teammates, and exercise was just a by-product of hanging out with his friends.

I think all these little things, plus genetics, = naturally lean individual.

He has gained 3 or 4lbs since stopping crew, so he's not immune to gaining weight.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    I got friends who are naturally thin and they eat like lunatics, I mean it gets downright disgusting.

People's metabolisms vary and in that, some people can eat whatever they want and not gain weight and others have to watch every calorie. I think from a scientific perspective there are a lot of contributing factors, i.e. nature, nurture, history, etc.

And then you have those skinny fat people (most of the "thin" people us fluffies envy)...On the outside they look ideal, but inside their arteries and innards are just as messed up as a person weighing in 4 times their size.

Being healthy doesn't necessarily mean being skinny and being obese is only one of many symptoms of being unhealthy.

I am happy for the naturally thin people, but I don't think being naturally thin lets anyone off the hook from taking care of themselves.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I think it's genetic, but with all genetics, it doesn't hit everyone. Some might be tall, some might be short. some might have red hair, some might have brown.

I was that naturally thin person until I hit 30 and my metabolism slowed down.
    My youngest daughter is like that. She's 5'10 and 110. She can't gain weight no matter how much she tries. She's not the most active person in the world, either, where as I was highly active.

My oldest daughter was like that until she started taking medication and it changed that.

I'm not so much a "clean plate" mom, but more, if you're full, stop eating. But there isn't much junk food kept in the house.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that people are naturally "thin" or naturally "fat" but there are different body types: ectomorphs, endomorphs, and mesomorphs. I'm an ectomorph. Ectomorphs are the body type that people usually think of as being naturally thin, but if ectomorphs eat enough of a calorie surplus on a daily basis, even they can get fat -- I did -- and we don't tend to carry extra weight as well as our endomorph and mesomorph friends.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've never been one of the struggling to put on weight types that people are bringing up - but for the most part, I've always been thin. The most weight I've ever wanted to lose is about 5 pounds. People tell me I'm lucky I can just eat whatever I want and be this way. I don't tell people I exercise because they tell me I don't "need to."

But the truth is, I don't sit around eating crap all day. I eat well. I exercise. I'm active. This is the product of that. But they never want to hear that.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I believe your weight is affected by your background (physical activity and food consumption) growing up and your current environment. You can become more thin (or gain weight) by changing your beliefs and ideas on the subject. Your weight is not predetermined or set in concrete. The more exercise you do and the less caloric food you consume on an ongoing basis will decrease (or maintain) your weight.

Males tyically have an easier time losing weight than females. Males typically have more muscle mass per percentage body weight than females. Muscle burns more calories than the alternative.

Basically, I believe you can effect your weight by your current thoughts and activites. Your weight is not governed by genetics. Just remember: "You can't out exercise a bad diet." Clean up your diet and get a resonable amount of exercise to maintain or lose weight. You too can become a "thin(ner) person".
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I have 3 sisters who are naturally rail-thin...
    I ate the same as them, but was always chunky.
    It was to the point that Mom kept an eye out to make sure I wasn't sneaking food.
    (I wasn't)

In many ways I was blessed to have a fat Mommy.
    She understood the weight struggle, but she also said "food is fuel, you can't keep the engine going with out nutrition."
    She thought it wasn't fair to restrict my diet any more than my siblings. (She did set some boundaries for all of us.)
    She never made me feel guilty for eating something my brothers and sister were eating.

When I was 14 I took the initiative to lose some weight.
    I don't know how she did it, but she found gentle ways to educate me with out judging and always let me make my own choices.

Baked potato is healthier than Mashed
    Pretzels are healthier than Potato chips.
    Mustard is healthier than Mayo.

Now that I think about it, rather than out and out denial she always gave me an option.
    Carrots, celery sticks, and peppers chopped up in the fridge
    and "ice milk" in the freezer so I could choose that when everyone else was eating ice cream.

My 3 sister took after my Dad's side of the family.
    I took after Mom's side. (My mom was always heavy and all my female cousins are all big)
    Add on top of that how much more difficult the food industry has made it to make good choices.
    (I thought I knew how to eat healthy, but was amazed to find how much "food" has changed in 35 years.)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am that person. Or, at least I used to be.
    I have always been naturally thin, without ever worrying about what I ate.
    But there are two things that need to be said and understood about this good fortune. I have always been extremely active, hyperactive almost. I played sports when I was younger. I started running regularly when I was 18 years old. etc.
    I remember one time reading a study that found that skinnier people tend to fidget a lot more -- enough to result in appreciable calorie expenditure.
    The other aspect to this that I think is misunderstood is that naturally thin people just do not eat when they are not hungry.
    When I was about 27 years old I went on a trip to the old Soviet Union. It was an official exchange. There were not tourists who went to the Soviet Union in those days. As such, it was a big deal when we rolled into these little towns and farms and other places. So they rolled out the banquets. We were served meat for every meal.
    Now, we were quite aware that our hosts were making huge sacrifices to serve us like that, and that the average Soviet family in those days ate serious meat only about once or twice a week. So, we felt obliged to leave nothing on our plates.
    We also spent most of our days in meetings and on a bus or train.
    When I got back after a month, I barely ate for about two weeks. I have always been so thin I never weighed myself, but I am sure I had gained weight, because I felt bad, and my body just dictated that I not eat until I was back at my determined weight.
    That's were I am lucky, and where most thin people are lucky. Our bodies are just very insistent as to what weight they need to be and they stay there. I think if you closely observed most skinny people, you would find that they really do not eat much. I may eat a big meal and look like a glutton. But then watch, I will eat very little for the next 24 hours or so. I do not snack very much, I almost never nibble, and I drink probably less than one soda a week.
    I have heard that anthropologists now have a theory about this. The prehistoric ancestors of naturally skinny people were primarily farmers and gatherers, while the ancestors of people who gain weight were primarily hunters. The reason for this is that your hunters were less likely to be assured of a steady food supply and meat spoils quickly. So, your hunter cavemen would gorge when they made a kill, and pack on the fat until the next successful hunt.
    A farmer would have no reason to do that.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<< This guy...
    I can thank my mom's genetics.
  • Fittabulous
    Fittabulous Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Naturally 'thin' people can be a fat thin too. Unfortunatly ive never been either. Its frustrating yes, b/c sometimes we feel like they take for granted that little blessing some of us wish we could get. However, what I have had to realize, is even if they are skinny, it doesn't mean they are healthy. Heath has been my focus lately, and doing that it has also helped me start to get and feel skinny. I still have a long way to go, but im making progress.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I'm not 100% what causes it but I know it happens. My friend Becky has (HAS) to eat a ton of fat -- she prefers to do this with ice cream -- just to MAINTAIN her weight. She's 5'4" and weighs just under 100 lbs. She is VERY self conscious about her weight and tells me how LUCKY I am to be bigger. She helps me keep my perspective. Just because you are thin, doesn't mean you're gonna be happy.
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My mother and my sister... My mom used to eat ice cream; M&M's and anything else she wanted with out concern... Moderation was not in her vocab. The Dr put her on a cholestrol diet because hers was soooooo bad and she lost weight so they took her off it. My whole life she was under 110lbs (she gave birth to 5 kids) until she was wheel chair bound.

My sister is the same way, she is 97lbs now after 2 kids and drinks soda like we should be drinking water... Now her daughter is in the same physical state, she's 11 and weighs about 50lbs.

They have just as hard a time gaining as I do losing. No one else has ever understood that, I saw my mom adding weight gainer to milk shakes and it did nothing!
  • karynspeace
    Options
    I have a dear friend that is naturally thin... she is almost 50 now and just started working out this year - seriously! She eats everything, and does not gain - she started working out to tone her "older" body - pilates and such. Genetics. She is the spagetti and I am the meatball!