Why am I not losing any weight? Help!

Options
I started my diet on the 3rd of September, first by not eating bread, candy or potatoes and then I also started jogging and doing exercise.. until now I've lost around 3kg (7 lbs).. But I'm getting kind of impatient because it seems like I haven't lost any weight in the past 5 days, even though I eat less and exercise.. Does this have to do anything with not reaching my calorie goals or is it something else? Help!

Replies

• Touchdown73
    Touchdown73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Open up your food diary so we can take a look and provide feedback
  • thefaultinourstars
    Options
    done!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think 7 lbs in one month is awesome and I say keep on keeping on. It always feels like it takes forever at first, but I think you should just keep going the way you are and you will see results.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Still can't see it - maybe you made it visible to friends only? Need to make it public. :smile:

Meanwhile, more about you - current weight, what's your calorie goal, and how much exercise are you doing a week?
  • babytlow32886
    babytlow32886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    im having the same problem and im exercising everyday and trying to watch what i eat... when you find out the problem and soultion pleaseeee let me know bc im at a lost also.....
  • thefaultinourstars
    Options
    I started at 72kg, at the moment I weigh 69kg.. My calorie goal says 1200 but I don't usually reach it.. And I go running about 3-4 times a week, medium pace, 20-30 minutes.. My goal weight is 57kg because my height is 167,5 cm, I think that's not too extreme, or is it?

And yeah it seems to be taking forever, I'm just so anxious to see the results!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You will bounce up and down, lose and gain a bit, stall out for a while ...and this is perfectly normal. This is a marathon not a sprint. If you try to sprint, ultimately you'll fail. Hang in there!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Your body will adjust to the lower calories and increased exercise. My point? Change! Switch up your diet and exercise to keep from hitting a stall. Also, you have to give some time for your body to respond to the changes you are making. You are off to a great start, don't get frustrated!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    im having the same problem and im exercising everyday and trying to watch what i eat... when you find out the problem and soultion pleaseeee let me know bc im at a lost also.....
    I don't know how long you've been at this, but looking at your diary I would say you're not eating enough! Assuming you are logging all of your foods, last Wednesday you ate a grand total of 896 calories for the day, but you burned 805 through exercise. 896-805 = 91 calories for your body to function with! :noway: No bueno!

The key to getting fit and losing the fat is not working out like a mad-woman and cutting your calories so drastically. You are asking your body to suddenly work very hard, and then barely giving it any fuel. Rather than sending it the message to burn fat and lose weight, you are telling it there's not enough fuel, so you'd better store fat from here on out. Not the message you want to be sending!

You burn over 1000 calories a day just existing, laying bed, if you were comatose in the hospital - this is your basal metabolic rate, or BMI (not 1000 calories, yours is likely higher, you need to calculate it, that's just an example). If you need over 1000 calories to just lay there, don't you think you should give it a bit more if you're on your feet, going about your daily activities and exercising on top of that?

Don't give your body a reason to store fat!!

Read this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    Very informative, with tools to calculate how much your burn daily (that BMR) and your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or TDEE, based on your activity level. Excellent info there!

And this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics
    Great info and photos from a member here who eats a LOT and looks absolutely amazing. Check it out.

Over-training and under-eating are common problems, been there myself, and lead to stalls in weight loss, lack of energy, and not getting the results you are looking for. Food is fuel! You have to fuel the body if you want it to perform, function properly, and shed the fat rather than storing it.

Here's another good read on the over-training problem: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    ^^ THIS

You are starving your body and while you've lost weight it will not last, please feed your body - it's been very good to you and doesn't like to starve. Oh and don't weigh yourself daily as you'll get all stressed, once a week is more than enough. :bigsmile:
  • thefaultinourstars
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for replying. You've all been very helpful :)
  • babytlow32886
    babytlow32886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ty i am going to take everything into consideration... i guess i have ot go out and buy a tape measure also and not workout everyday...i appreciate all of your helpful infromation!!!!
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    I mean this in the most supportive and non-snarky way, but. . . 5 days? Seriously?

Everyone gave great advice, but losing weight is not just a downward plummet of the scale. It takes time. You can adjust your calories, adjust your workouts, starve, eat back exercise calories, not eat back exercise calories, do high protein, high fat, low carb, high carb, no carb, the grapefruit diet, paleo. . . you get the idea. There's going to be some periods of time when the scale doesn't reflect the hard work you are doing. That doesn't mean you aren't losing fat, it just means the scale isn't reflecting it. The sooner you come to grips with this, the easier the journey will be!

Good luck and I hope the scale moves for you VERY soon! :smile: