Vacation drop out...am I wrong?

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    pay the difference, send her a post card and D list her.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    In retrospect: Contract.

Only way to CYA in cases like this.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I would hope that she would offer something.. but the odds of her paying for everyone aren't very good. Like someone else mentioned, mayber there is something going on and she couldn't afford it, or there is something going on that she doesn't want to share with anyone. I would just cover my extra charges and move on.. and would not invite her along on another trip like that again. Unless she would try to explain it all to you later and make up for it somehow. It sucks, but try not to let it ruin your vacation.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    No. That's what a deposit is for. She loses her $200 and doesn't get to go on the trip in exchange for not paying the difference.

Now whether you want to continue to be her friend, or whatever, is a totally different story.
  • moomaq
    moomaq Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That is what happens when you go away with other people.. they can let you down, that is life.

If you dont want to fall out with her, let it go. or try to meet up with her. have a level head discussion about it.

If she flew off the handle calling names and the likes she may be stressed about something you dont know about.
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options

She's a single girl with no children and lives with her mom so $130 isn't much to her. But to the rest of us, who all have children and a mortgage, car payment, etc. $130 is alot.

1 - Unless you have exclusive access to her bank accounts/income you have NO IDEA what she may be paying for. It's unfair of you to assume that because she's living at home and with no children that she has money to throw around.

I totally agree with this. You don't know what her situation is or how much expendable income she has. I had a lot less available to me when I was single than I do now that I am married because there are at least two incomes and savings that I have access to. For all you know, she may be loading all of her available income into paying off debt, or saving for her own place, or she may be blowing it on partying because she doesn't feel like she has to save it. When I was single, I didn't have savings and was lucky to make it to payday without overdrawing each and every time.

Now, it is totally not cool of her to make the commitment and back out (all future invites revoked), but perhaps she thought she would be able to save up the money to go? If she doesn't have the money to go, she probably doesn't have the money to take care of the difference.

I'm pretty close with her and know she doesn't have many bills. She has a drinking problem for sure. But she did tell us that she definitely has the money saved because she was going to go but has changed her mind.

Oh and she definitely won't be going on any more trips
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

She's a single girl with no children and lives with her mom so $130 isn't much to her. But to the rest of us, who all have children and a mortgage, car payment, etc. $130 is alot.

1 - Unless you have exclusive access to her bank accounts/income you have NO IDEA what she may be paying for. It's unfair of you to assume that because she's living at home and with no children that she has money to throw around.

I totally agree with this. You don't know what her situation is or how much expendable income she has. I had a lot less available to me when I was single than I do now that I am married because there are at least two incomes and savings that I have access to. For all you know, she may be loading all of her available income into paying off debt, or saving for her own place, or she may be blowing it on partying because she doesn't feel like she has to save it. When I was single, I didn't have savings and was lucky to make it to payday without overdrawing each and every time.

Now, it is totally not cool of her to make the commitment and back out (all future invites revoked), but perhaps she thought she would be able to save up the money to go? If she doesn't have the money to go, she probably doesn't have the money to take care of the difference.

I'm pretty close with her and know she doesn't have many bills. She has a drinking problem for sure. But she did tell us that she definitely has the money saved because she was going to go but has changed her mind.

If that is the case and she had the money all saved up but just decided not to go, I would ask her to pay the difference but not expect it because she sounds pretty flaky to back out on a trip she had money already saved up for 2 weeks before the trip.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    As for saying she has it easy becuase she lives at home and has no children is not a fair assessment. Why do some people think because you are single with no kids that you have no other responsibilities. I lived at home until I was 30, not becuase I was fond of the idea but because I didn't have the money to move out on my own. (and I was working two jobs to get by). You never totally know someones situation so do not judge them.

Should she pay.... Yes Can you make her......No I would just pay the difference and never invite her again unless you have her money up front.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Well.. you may have dodged a bullet then.. I'd rather fork over an additional $130 than spend a week or so with someone with a drinking problem. That gets really old.. really fast! Still, it sucks that she stuck you guys like this.
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should have been on top of her payments long ago, seeing as she ONLY paid the deposit and nothing more.

Sounds like a sit down conversation is in order, with her-not with strangers on the internet.
  • trtmom
    Options
    As for saying she has it easy becuase she lives at home and has no children is not a fair assessment. Why do some people think because you are single with no kids that you have no other responsibilities. I lived at home until I was 30, not becuase I was fond of the idea but because I didn't have the money to move out on my own. (and I was working two jobs to get by). You never totally know someones situation so do not judge them.

Should she pay.... Yes Can you make her......No I would just pay the difference and never invite her again unless you have her money up front.

I didn't say that all people who live at home have no bills. If you read my other post you would see where I said I know her VERY well and know what responsibilities she has. Please don't think I'm saying if you live at home you have lots of money! I know everyone has different situations
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Honestly, she should pay regardless of what her circumstances are. She agreed, it's her responsibility.

However, odds are good she won't, so I wouldn't try to get it out of her because it would be more trouble than it's really worth.
  • freedobandito
    freedobandito Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Should she pay? I think she has a moral obligation to pay or repay some how for dropping out so close, but you cannot be forced to pay based on moral principle, next group trip, contract, stipulate cancellation fee if it gets so close.

Though its not the same as lending money my grandfather told me; never, never lend any money $5, $10 or more to anyone that is friend that you wont be able to overlook if they don't pay you back. If they don't pay and you get upset or take them to court it will ruin your friendship. In the end it is just money, more is printed every day.
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If she hasn't been paying anything since her deposit amount, I think it was a sure sign that there was a very real chance of her not going with you. If I were you, I would have either got her money for each payment, or got her to admit that she changed her plans when she skipped the first installment. So I feel that it is not really last minute, though you have a reason to feel that it is...

$130 each means she would have to pay $520 in total, plus the $200 deposit. Maybe she really doesn't have the money (especially with a drinking problem).

The decent thing would have been for her to pay you all, but the practical thing would probably be for you to pay and write it off as a bad debt. As to whether you can remain friends, that depends fully on how much that relationship means to you.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think she should pay, and I'd shun her as a friend. She effed up. That to me shows a lack of respect and maturity especially if she feels she has not done anything wrong.
  • trtmom
    Options
    Sounds like you should have been on top of her payments long ago, seeing as she ONLY paid the deposit and nothing more.

Sounds like a sit down conversation is in order, with her-not with strangers on the internet.

Why should I have had to babysit her payments? We booked through a travel agent and everyone was logging in to make their own payments.

And as for the sit down conversation, already tried...got us no where but arguments. I'm just here for opinions because I'm not sure how to feel about this situation.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Why should I have had to babysit her payments? We booked through a travel agent and everyone was logging in to make their own payments.

And as for the sit down conversation, already tried...got us no where but arguments. I'm just here for opinions because I'm not sure how to feel about this situation.

Well, you really have few options. You're going to have to grin and bear it or cut her out of your life. She really has no legal obligation to pay unless you all signed a contract, her obligation is moral. Should she pay? Absolutely. But she has no legal basis for payment.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    While you don't know how much of a difference it is to her (meaning you don't know her finances), she should be paying you back for it. If she won't, I recommend never booking a vacation like that with her again.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

2 - This is a issue that arises with group trips. I would fork over the $130 additional and I wouldn't be seeking another trip with her. Unless she has a very good excuse (IE: I'm in the hospital, my mother is in the hospital etc), then I wouldn't plan another trip with her.

shes right, ^^

Agreed - I hate when people make assumptions about other people's circumstances - plus is it $130 total? Or $130 per person. With 4 of you, at $130 per person, you're tell her to cough over $520? You can't handle an extra $130 for a vacation you are going on and you expect your friend to pay $520 for one she's NOT going on? i do think that's unreasonable. I agree with the other poster who commented that the deposit is what she loses for backing out - and maybe she loses friends - that's up to her. But this is why you should never book travel where your pricing is dependent on someone else's behavior/decisions.

ETA: I saw the OP's update about how she knows this girl REALLY well, and isn't just making assumptions about her funds - but people lie, people pass themselves off as better off financially than they are, every day. She might have been saying she had the money - but it's possible she just doesn't. If this is a friend worth having - then I think you let it go. If it's not, then you aren't going to get anywhere with her anyway, so let her go.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    While in a perfect world your friend would still cover her share, it doesn't sound like it's going to happen, so I'd consider myself lucky to only be out $130. This happened to me once and cost me close to an extra $1,000. There's really nothing you can do about at this point except make it a learning experience and determine how to proceed in your relationship with this person in the future. I was upset at first, but let it go…my relationship with the person who did this to me was worth more than the $1,000 I was out. If your relationship can be irreparably damaged over $130, or even $1,000, you probably shouldn't have been planning to vacation with that person in the first place.