Why Did You Get Fat?

Options
123457»

Replies

• TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    Overinduldging junk and fast foods. Gluttony.

The first time I considered joining a club or gym, I convinced myself that because I didn't know what I was doing, it was okay to avoid working out. I didn't want to be the guy who constantly asks for help.
  • KBE1990
    KBE1990 Posts: 38
    Options
    Depression... yup... weirdly though I thought I knew what it was to be depressed, boy was I wrong! After losing my mother last May, I actually lost weight from not really eating... It went from eating when depressed when she was alive, to not eating after she passed... =/
  • Lityboy
    Lityboy Posts: 37
    Options
    Downright overeating. And not too much exercise for that matter either. A great combination for disaster!
  • inga_bee
    Options
    growing up: fat.
    college: athlete, lost 75 lbs, strict diet and exercise. no alcohol.
    college grad: oh hey cool! i can finally eat and drink and have fun!

60 lbs later... here i am :P
  • cmbx2mom
    cmbx2mom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound terrible, but I never had a weight problem before I had kids. I was SO active before, I could eat whatever I wanted, although I eat fairly healthy. 2 pregnancies, a full time job and a house just got to be too much and I wasn't as active as I was before. Sheer exhaustion from the kids waking up at night lead me to quick convienent foods (highly processed). My body also changed dramatically. I'm close to where I want to be but just haven't been able to achieve those last few pounds....not sure I ever will.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Whiskey and the vending machine. And cereal.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with my weight. I was overweight as a teenager despite walking lots, swimming, playing badminton etc and eating healthily. My parents are overweight, so genetics plays a part.

I lost weight when I went to university, continued losing into my 20s until I got quite skinny (for me).

Moved in with my boyfriend (now husband) at 26 then did my teacher training, and that combination made me put on weight. Then I lost 45lbs for our wedding in 2008. A month later I was pregnant, and although I continued with the gym and eating well, I still gained weight. Lost it all, got pregnant when our son was 14 months old. Now our daughter is 16 months and I am nearly back into my clothes when I was 24!

I'd quite like to try for another baby next year, but I'm scared of weight gain again. I guess with MFP and exercise i'd be ok!
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like food. And I like to feel FULL, not just satisfied. I was a chubby kid because I just ate a ton. My mom took me to a nutritionist when I was around 13 years old and I started eating better and I was more aware of what I was eating, but I stayed fat. It wasn't until I was 18 that I actually tried to lose weight and made an effort to eat well. And here I am at my goal weight and I've been here steadily for around 4 months :D
  • You_Can_Be
    You_Can_Be Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I ate healthy stuff almost all the time and then would binge on ice cream or biscuits or sweets and chocolate,Majorly fattening stuff like a whole bag or 2 or 3 bags of fudge or a whole tub or even 1 and a half tubs of full fat ben and jerry's It is amazing really that I did not get massively overweight only gained about 20 pounds
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my ENTIRE life, so I don't really know. Pretty much once I hit 7 or 8 years old and on....... my guess would be because my parents bought unhealthy foods and didn't stress the importance of healthy eating. I remember my mom always keeping a weight record for my sister and I. She would weigh us every month to track our weight...but at the same time she bought things like Chef Boyardee and Little Debbie at every grocery run. It just kind of spiraled into adulthood, I guess! I've always loved food, and I have a major sweet tooth. I used to say I didn't have any willpower, and I'd use that as my crutch. I'm glad I'm finally doing something about it at 27..while I'm still young..and before serious health issues arise!
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I got fat because I took advantage while I was pregnant and thought I could eat what I wanted when I wanted and always thought "meh, I'll lose it after she's born" almost 8 months down the line I dropped 2 stone straight away but I'm struggling to lose a stone and get back to my pre-pregnancy weight BUT I'm now looking to lose inches rather than pounds so I can get healthy skinny and not fat skinny :( xx
  • ladyjanewriter
    ladyjanewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had a bad breakup, followed by long-term unemployment. Add vanilla vodka and diet Dr. Pepper, and not walking in my neighborhood cuz I didn't want to see ex-coworkers (I was laid off along with my entire department).

And, of course, not giving a BLEEP anymore and bingeing.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    --Depression and rapid weight gain when I started puberty 16 years ago (caused by hormal problems--aka Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome--PCOS).

--As a result of undiagnosed syndrome and environment, I grew up with extremely low self-esteem and self-medicating with food.

--Got my weight under control from ages 16-21 (avg. 130 lbs), then I got pregnant, had a miscarriage, joined the military where they believe that you can eat anything and drink loads of alcohol as long as you exercise (not the case for me!).

--My husband also has a weight issue, so we kind of fuel each other's bad habits...on top of that, I got pregnant with our son almost 2 years ago.

--I had our son a year ago and I love him to pieces...although I gained 50 lbs during the pregnancy (getting off medication and eating badly). I'm about 55 below my highest preggo weight, so that's something! Still have about 55 lbs until my goal weight!
  • Jessi713
    Options
    Well I was an athlete in HS and very fit. I didnt have a healthy home life either. Sports was like therapy really - I tore my ACL during a basketball game at 17 and depression kicked in. I wasnt eating emotionally then I was abusing pain meds, smoking, and drinking. My father died when I was 18 so that pushed me deeper and deeper into depression - panic attacks started as well bc I wasnt taught coping skills as a kid or teenager. So once I decided to fight for my life I got off all drugs and even stopped smoking but I now have a food addiction to battle on top of having PCOS. This is by far the hardest and by far the one I need the most support in - so if anyone wants a friend for motivation I need one too. Thanks for reading :)
  • ladyjanewriter
    ladyjanewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, and I forgot...ZOLOFT. Zoloft made me not care I was getting fat.

And I lived on the South Side of Chicago. I am naturally thick and got thicker. I also have a serious donk.

Well...guys still hit on me. :wink: South Siiiiiiiiideee! LOL :glasses:

So, yeah, my normal "guys are not hitting on me anymore" method of maintaining my weight just...didn't happen.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Bump