Calf/thigh muscle size - need reduction!

Options
Hi guys

I've been dieting and exercising, and now have for a short time enlisted a personal trainer. She kicks my butt and it's really good, really punishing. But...

One of my main goals is to reduce my calf and overall leg size. I'm down an inch on my bust (sadly!) and inch round my belly button but seem to be up 1/2 inch on my hips?! This morning I put my knee boots on and they were tighter than before, not much, but less easy to get on. Do you think it's possible that over time the size will reduce?

I don't really know what exercises I'm doing, but I do squats, lunges, leg press, leg extension and some other leg like stuff!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do similar leg exercises to you and it hasn't affected my calf size at all. It's the one place I don't want to increase in size. Since losing 15 kg my calves have decreased slightly and I can now fit my boots again, yay. I'd say its more diet related than exercise related.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's possible that over time the size will reduce?

Calves have to carry your body around all day hence most overweight people have big calves, they will probably reduce slightly in line with any weight loss but there is nothing you can do to specifically reduce them.

Using a wheelchair for 6 month would probably do it, but that's a but extreme...............
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    diet wise- focus on not causing insulin spikes. Women can only lose ''lower half'' fat if insulin levels are normal. If insulin has been spiked then you wont loose any fat from that area. So look at paleo diets, or sugar busters and gi levels of foods.

Also slight swelling in muscles is normal with exercise, it will go down. Also talk with your pt about more endurance exercises such as long distance running combined with only light weight exercises for the lower half of the body and heavier weights for the upper body.

Just my opinion. I am a pear too
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have big legs as well and sure enough when I lose fat they get smaller, not matter how many squats I do. If you want a leaner look the you might try Pilates as well.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    diet wise- focus on not causing insulin spikes. Women can only lose ''lower half'' fat if insulin levels are normal. If insulin has been spiked then you wont loose any fat from that area. So look at paleo diets, or sugar busters and gi levels of foods.
    I have never heard this before and it makes no sense to me at all. I'd love to see a link to research that shows this as another pear who is very bottom heavy. I can't see how the body compartmentalizes fat into upp and lower halves that are utilized based on insulin levels.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I have large calves, I'v always had large calves and I hate it. The only thing I can do is change it from being pretty fatty to solid muscle with lots of definition. Two months of Jillian Michaels workouts and the treadmill and I've managed to take 1/4 inch off my calves while losing lots of inches elsewhere. I've had to accept that this is the way I'm shaped, although it sounds like long distance running might be the way to lose some of the muscle later to get a more lean look.

If the size of your calves is due to fat, just losing weight generally will help and there's no way to spot reduce. If the bulk is muscle, start training for marathons to *maybe* slim them down a bit.
  • pollyperfect77
    Options
    I'll keep on plugging away, but I'm guessing it probably is my shape. I'm aiming for a healthy BMI of 23 and I guess I'll just have to suck it and see what they're like when I get to that weight. Marathon training - hardcore! I'm not a natural athlete and I'm trying to learn to run, will see if it helps! A wheelchair for 6 months, if I could get away with it, I probably would - I'm that desperate! Will definitely take up with PT though, make sure she knows there's been a negative! Thanks guys, really appreciate you taking the time to input:drinker:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Also slight swelling in muscles is normal with exercise, it will go down. Also talk with your pt about more endurance exercises such as long distance running combined with only light weight exercises for the lower half of the body and heavier weights for the upper body.

Just my opinion. I am a pear too

All of this is BS.. and should be disregarded.

OP:
    Keep eating in a deficit to lose the fat, and you will see results when your body wants to show them.

I've been losing weight over the past year and half, plus lifting weights the entire time. I've only gotten smaller and not bigger because I'm eating in a deficit. If I was eating in a surplus, then I would expect my muscles to get bigger.

Also, don't focus on BMI as much as Body Fat.
  • pollyperfect77
    Options
    I think you're right, maybe my body just needs to give it up in it's own time. I eat in deficit every day, usually by 800-1000 calories. I tend to have a treat day on a Saturday but still don't go mad. I'm just at the point where I've been before, where now I don't feel so big, I get comfortable and start slipping. I'm determined to go all the way this time! It's good to hear from people who've been/are on the same journey :blushing: :smile:
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    diet wise- focus on not causing insulin spikes. Women can only lose ''lower half'' fat if insulin levels are normal. If insulin has been spiked then you wont loose any fat from that area.
    This sounds like something Dr. Oz would say
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If the bulk is muscle, start training for marathons to *maybe* slim them down a bit.

Say what?

LOL - this might be one of the funniest posts I've seen today. Thanx for the laughs!
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    diet wise- focus on not causing insulin spikes. Women can only lose ''lower half'' fat if insulin levels are normal. If insulin has been spiked then you wont loose any fat from that area.
    This sounds like something Dr. Oz would say

^^^^THAT is so funny! Sadly, so true!!! Maybe I should starta board entitled "Things Dr. Oz says..."
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    A noticeable increase in size over a short period of time is probably just fluid retention as your muscles heal from rigorous workouts. As you lose fat, your measurements will decrease. Sadly, you can't really tell your body which stored fat to use first. So, it may use fat from your chest and waist first.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Threads like this always depress me as I love a woman with nicely shaped and well filled-out legs.

CristiC_35871.jpg

Yum!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have never heard this before and it makes no sense to me at all. I'd love to see a link to research that shows this as another pear who is very bottom heavy. I can't see how the body compartmentalizes fat into upp and lower halves that are utilized based on insulin levels.

You beat me to it!!! Most people with uneven insulin levels carry fat around the middle.... not sure where you came up with your info... please share!!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I too have big calves. I think you just have to lose overall weight for them to get smaller. Muscular is fine with me...just want to get rid of the extra jiggle on them...fitting into boots that zip up are always nice, too. :) I know once I get to goal I will still have bigger legs...just the way I'm built...but I'm leg pressing the same if not MORE weight then some guys at my gym. I do love having that strength. ;)
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. Unfortunately I cannot run long distances due to a back injury. I run/jog up to 3 miles now and very infrequently due to the stress it puts on my lower back. What has worked for me and without any pain, is rollerblading. I spend about 3 to 4 hours each week rollerblading on average. I used to spend that time walking only. However, this summer I started rollerblading more than walking and the results are fantastic. My legs are much more toned and I haven't built up any additional bulk in my muscles. I've also whittled my waist down considerably. Good luck to you.
  • debera33
    Options
    Thank you so much for this thread. I just had dinner last night with a lady who said the same thing about roller blading and how amazing her legs, butt and whole body was when she was doing it. Hmmm, I think I will try it. Fun and great for my body. Thanks guys. I think stretching has a big part to play too. I have the genetic shortened tendon to put more work on my calf, thus big ones and I have noticed a difference since doing yoga regularly too. Great, thread!