Newbie with Rheumatoid Arthritis

Options
I've been on this site for a couple of weeks now and have already lost 7 pounds -- I'm thrilled!!! I have some health issues, the main one being Rheumatoid Arthritis that is not very well controlled right now. I would love to meet others on this site that have RA. Although I'm exercising daily, it is always a struggle with stiff, swollen, aching joints and having someone who shares what I'm going through would be awesome! I'm so excited about getting healthier and losing weight so that my joints won't be so burdened unnecessarily.

Here's to getting healthier!!!! :happy:

Replies

• davidantell
    Options
    I too have RA. I went on the Steriod pack about 8 months ago which lasted a few weeks. Didnt do anything. Now I just work out very hard which as you know is difficult and I also eat very well. Mostly organic and no fried stuff. Although I have a huge problem with portion control which keeps my weight up, this all has helped me. As far as the pain, I take half a pain pill in the morning and a whole pill before dinner and that's how I live. So hang in there and the most important thing is excercise. Let me know if I can help.
  • deba1963
    Options
    David,
    I didn't expect such a quick reply to my topic. I didn't figure there were too many folks on here with RA. I've been diagnosed less than 1 year, but I was already into the moderate to severe range upon diagnosis. I'm taking methotrexate and arava, and waiting for approval for Humira (hopefully). I HAVE to work, and my hands are my income because I am a registered dental hygienist, so I have to keep the joints in my hands mobile, so that is why I'm on so much medication. Unfortunately I still feel like a big pile of junk most days!

I watch what I eat -- no red meat or in VERY limited quantities, as that seems to bring a flare. Lots of fruits and veggies seems to help me too. I was on prednisone for 8 months and gained SO much weight!!! I've actually lost 20 pounds, but only 7 since starting this site.

And yes, exercising is very difficult, but I force myself to keep moving!!! LOL Thanks for replying and if I can help you in any way, let me know. Only we "RAers" know what it's like!
  • boadicea333
    Options
    Hi Debra,
    I also have RA. I struggle with the weight gain that seems to be systematic from my unwillingness to exercise when I hurt, which is nearly everyday this time of year. I can't wait til summer! I've not had to go down the steriod route, but I've been on biologic agents (humira), plaqunil, a variety of NSAIDS (none of which work as well as good old plain advil), and tramadol for the pain. I'm sick of drugs!!!!
    I'm doing low carb this time around, since I've done it before and always feel better when I'm doing low carb. My joints ache less, and I have more energy. I need to get all the sugar outta my system, which is going to be a minor withdrawal (watch out family...I'm gonna be moody for the next few days). Anyway, welcome and hope you do well with your goals.
    S
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I too suffer from RA. I was diagnosed 19 years ago at age 21 with it in one of my thumbs. Since then it has moved to my pinkie on that same hand, and my left hand is affected in my first/second fingers. I first tried plaquenil + methotrexate + arthrotec about 10 years ago, but my RA fortunately had always been mild. I dropped to a dangerously low weight on these drugs an eventually stopped taking them.
    My hands stayed pretty consistent until this past December when I experienced an unstoppable flare up. I am now seeing some twisting of the joints, am in regular pain and have 2 2-year olds that I am struggling to dress and buckle into car seats, etc. I started back on a cocktail of drugs mid-February and am still waiting to see if they will have any effect. Plaquenil + methotrexate + sulfasalazine (new to me) as well as naproxin when needed for pain/inflammation. I'd been already taking the naproxin from mid-december and it doesn't even touch this.
    I am trying to be patient and give the meds a chance to work, but I hate taking all these drugs and for the first time I am experiencing the fatigue that often comes with RA. Do any of you experience this? I'm not sure how much is due to the RA and how much may be a side effect of the meds, but the fatigue is becoming as hard to battle as the pain.
    I am interested in checking out possible food intolerances. Although hotly debated, I feel like it is worth investigating if it is something I can do/control that does not = MORE DRUGS.
    I would love to hear about anyone else's experiences with this, and wish you all health and strength.
    -s
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm a newbie too suffering from RA. I was diagnosed with RA 16 years ago. It took my becoming crippled with pain and swelling, to the point I could not even open a door knob or walk without a severe painful limp for me to go to the doctor to figure out what was wrong. That was then. Recently I had a severe nearly overnight flare that made it impossible to brush my teeth, let alone my hair. I was put on prednisone for over a month and of course put on over 10 lbs. I joined MFP to track my food calories and exercise to better stay on a healthy diet and exercise regimen to get back into shape because I feel the extra weight aggravates my joints, thus my RA. I had no idea I'd find so many others with RA on MFP dealing with much of the same. The community support looks so phenomenal.

I am currently on Humira and I add in Mobic and Advil (only one that helps in between pain [Tylenol and naproxin sucks for me]) during flare ups. Because of my last flare up I suspect my doctor will have me take Humira injection weekly instead of every other week for a few months to see if it helps. Has anyone else done this? I visit him in a week and am a bit anxious over this type of change in dosage. My RA was controlled using Plaquenil but I came down with bad hyper pigmentation from it. So they tried Methotrexate which caused severe stomach pain. I thought my ulcers had returned. They couldn't put me on any of the sulfa based medications because of my allergy to sulfa. So we went to the biologic Humira.

I am slowing building up my exercise regimen by slowly extending walks and getting on my rower for short sessions so as not to aggravate my joints and bring on another flare. I have not been able to run without my feet having a painful flare for a week following. I live in the hills of Berkeley, CA and running up by my house would aggravate my knees as well. It's hard enough for me now just walking with my dogs. We presently do a 2 mile circuit daily.

Fatigue from the RA has been a battle for me as well and it got even worse when I was diagnosed with severe anemia, which is now being treated with monthly Venofer (iron) infusions. I try to eat enough carbs and protein the maintain my energy. I have recently heard that too much red meat can aggravate RA. Which is scary for me because I need more of it for my iron. I eat piles of deep green leafy vegis and always have. I also take lots of daily vitamins that do not seem to be helping much. But I keep taking them. Does anyone have flare ups with particular vegetables?

I hope you find a good mix of drugs to get your RA under control. Best wishes to all my fellow RA sufferers and cheers to getting all our RA under control and to painless exercise.

Kindly,
    P-
  • dchris1968
    dchris1968 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site for a couple of weeks now and have already lost 7 pounds -- I'm thrilled!!! I have some health issues, the main one being Rheumatoid Arthritis that is not very well controlled right now. I would love to meet others on this site that have RA. Although I'm exercising daily, it is always a struggle with stiff, swollen, aching joints and having someone who shares what I'm going through would be awesome! I'm so excited about getting healthier and losing weight so that my joints won't be so burdened unnecessarily.

Here's to getting healthier!!!! :happy:

I can definately sympathize with you!! I was diagnosed in 2006, and progressively got worse, until I was unable to walk or stand for long periods of time. I even purchased a wheelchair, so that my wife could take me places. Eventually I got on Enbrel, and started being able to move. Each day is a new adventure, however, the discomfort of exercising will reap huge rewards as I lose the weight I gained from inactivity. Where I workout at, the trainer is very well versed in kineseology, and has been helping me exercise with my limitations.

Add me as a friend if you like...Always willing to talk with someone who REALLY knows what I am going through!!!

Doug