Question (for women): Do you "gain weight" on your period?

Options

Replies

• MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I gain about 5 lbs.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    My gain/bloat is before. Like the 5 days prior. Then usually when I start it goes away. It can be like 5 pounds! UGH!
  • zaynad
    zaynad Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't know the science of it, but yes, I show no weight lose the week before my period. After my period I show the entire lose
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm using Mirena as birth control and rarely have cycles anymore, and if I do they are only 1-2 days of spotting at most. No bloating. No PMS. No b*tchiness.

Best. Thing. Ever.

You give me hope!
    Mirena was THE WORST thing I ever did to my body.

The mirena was really bad for me too. I am soooo happy that I got it out, hubby is getting fixed on Friday :) YYYYYAAAAAAYYYY I hate periods, can't wait till menopause ;) but at least I can get my non hormonal IUD out in 3 months so my TOM won't be as terrible and long.
  • rinaliz
    Options
    It is usually around a 2 pound gain for me. After my period passes so does the 2 pounds.
    About the lifting weights while on your period, I would think that you should at least take
    it easy. No power squats or anything extreme.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree, I usually do gain slightly but if you really want to track it I recommend the "period tracker" app...it's free. You can easily track your symptoms/weight gain/moods etc...
  • givenshl
    Options
    Yes, I gain but it's gone a couple of days after my cycle is over. I truly can't stand it, I get so miserable. I went close to 11yrs of having periods once or twice a year to now having them regular. Blah!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    weight stays stagnant that week, but I'm losing weight so if I was maintaining I bet it would go up.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I do not gain but I also do not lose while TOM. Once TOM is over I'll drop 2 to 3 lbs. I stay as far away from salt as possible before TOM and during. Before is very important because thats when the body starts to get ready for TOM and bloating slowly builds up. I drink loads of green tea with lemon and water with lemon to help if I feel I need it but for me typically since eating clean and not much in the way of processed foods I haven't had much of a problem with it. I even have fibroids. We're all different. Don't take what I"m saying as something that will work for you but its worth a shot. I used to blow up like a balloon in my gut and my face would puff up, eye lids swell up, hands used to get puffy, even ankles swelled. Not anymore. I also find that pushing through exercise helps with my cramps. I force myself to keep moving and its worth it. After a couple of minutes into the exercises the cramping stops. I've tried OTC meds and prescription meds for my horrible cramping but for me the only thing to help is exercising.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Periods can cause weight gain, bloating, and just about any other uncomfortable feeling. It's not permanent, so don't worry.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yep, the day before I start and the first 2 days of my period I gain 2-4 pounds and then it goes back to normal.
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Pre-TOM I Gain usually 6lbs, but the norm is for me to continue to do what I am doing, and when that TOM really starts those lbs plus my normal loss appears. This month has been really funky for me, but that is how it "normally" works. The key here is do NOT let the scale discourage you when you start to see that pre-TOM gain, but continue on your plan that is already working for you, and you normally will see the lbs fall off again, plus your normal loss.
  • kat8604
    Options
    i tend to retain water when im on my monthly so thats probly where the extra weight comes from. i havnt heard anything about the weight lifting.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Knowing that your body can go thru some pretty dramatic changes... I don't weigh myself during that time at all... I just focus on my food and work out if I can... I also drink plenty of water. It balances itself out.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Very normal and it is different every cycle (at least for me) one cycle my moods were affected more than my weight was. This time I weight about 5-7lbs heavier. Today is my last day and im am still 2lbs heavier. And i have never heard anything about not lifing weights, i dnt see how that would change or harm anything
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I gain 1lb-1.5 pound of water weight and I drop it once my period is over.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've gain up to 5 lbs. I just stay away from the scales.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes,I think everyone tends to gain some.I usually gain abt.5 lbs.I try not to weigh myself during this time,so I do not get discouraged.Don't worry,it will come back off when it's all said and done.Keep exercising it helps shed the water weight and you feel better,less crampy,less moody...
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Every month
  • VegasStage
    VegasStage Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    absolutely. anywhere from 1-5 pounds! weird. makes me feel terrible and us ladies don't need that!