I just need to vent!!!

Options
Is anyone else here sick to death of the "magic" transformation weight loss commercials out there???

some of their claims----"I'm 50 years old and back in a bikini" "I lost 23 lbs and went from a size 16 to a size 4"

WHATEVER!!!!!!!!! reality here----I have been actively watching my foods and calories since April of this year. I have lost 40lbs to date......and I am still wearing the same size clothes---and I look in the mirror and do not see a difference. so frustrating!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am not giving up---numbers on the scale going down is making me very happy. And it is making my Dr happy too.

I just wish they wouldn't air these blatantly hopeful ideals making people think if they buy that product, it will be a miracle!!!

There is my Monday rant. I deserve a sugar free iced coffee for that :)

Replies

• nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    you don't have to be smart to be in shape
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Did you take progress pictures? Put them side by side. 40 pound difference will be visible!
  • DonnyTurtle
    DonnyTurtle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with you.. I chuckle here and there when I see those commercials but I also get upset.. Giving people false hope for some of these whacky products or magic pills are insane.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    People who believe those commercials deserve what they get.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a multi-billion dollar business, they'll say or show anything to make a buck. The commercials are very annoying but also pretty funny at the same time.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    40 lbs is awesome!!!! especially just since april.

google the Paper Towel theory.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Progress pictures and measurments. THE WAY TO GO! If I could go back and take more progress pics I SO would!
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like the 52 year old mom looks 27 ha ha ha

BUT.. TRY THIS.. Buy a new outfit and take a friend with you, you will not be comfortable buying smaller but you need to. Form fitting is good when you are down 3 sizes.. Went with my daughter last weekend, the size I thought I was and the size she made me try on were completly differnet..She chose smaller and they did fit.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    40 pounds and you're still wearing the same size clothes?? :huh:
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Did you take progress pictures? Put them side by side. 40 pound difference will be visible!

^^This
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Look back at old pics. 40 pounds will definitely be visible.

This is me, after losing 35 pounds.

5078525_9990.jpg
  • LCastile
    LCastile Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you're making headway - or as I like to say, you're definitely winning. I would keep this personal, challenge yourself to be the best that you can be and that's all that's important.
  • marmalade628
    marmalade628 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Exactly how I feel!!!!!! I am 54 years old and even I know that I will never look like the models on the TV that promote these things. I just want to be healthy and able to do things with my family for 20 or more years to come and not have any of the diseases that go along with being over weight. I always mute those commercials or go somewhere else out of the room to do something else. The only things they are wanting is our money and in this economy who has it?
  • jamaljohar
    Options
    I hate those commercials so much, I'm 70 lbs down from hard work, but i used to fall victim to those types of schemes.
    I went to a "underground" nutritionist who was giving me "medications" to help me lose weight, i didnt know what was in them, and he wouldnt really give any details about them, but in one year from that guy i lost 100lbs eventually i got sick and couldnt keep conscience, so i got off the stuff and in one year i gained 80lbs back even though i kept my diet and kept my normal exercise routine.

i went from fat to skinny right back to fat again it was horrible, i tasted what it was to be "normal", to fit into normal clothes people not looking at me like an outcast, girls hitting on me constantly! it was awesome! I hated myself so much for gaining the weight back. but now im only 10lbs from what i was before those pills made me sick and i did it the RIGHT WAY!!!
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a multi-billion dollar business, they'll say or show anything to make a buck. The commercials are very annoying but also pretty funny at the same time.

^^ Very true

The same goes for those commercials about the exercise machines that work miracles. News flash---THOSE PPL WORKING OUT ON THE ADVERTISED EQUIPMENT, DID NOT GET THOSE BODY'S USING THAT EQUIPMENT....they did it the hard way by working hard and eating properly....of course, they also have great genetics!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I totally get the TV thing, not only do I hate the "quick fixes" but I also hate all the food commercials that want me to run out now for food (i.e.that small chicken sandwich can't be that bad can it??)

for that reason I mostly watch what I've recorded on my DVR so I can skip all that!!

As for still wearing the same clothes, I'll bet you anything they are much looser on you and you're just not ready to go buy the next size. At 40 lbs lost I could still wear my size 24's, but with a belt, I'm bigger on top so it took longer to see a change there. At almost 50 lbs gone, I just bought size 18 pants and a 1X top!!

It will happen, I think the magic number where we see significant results is different based on body type. For me, I've just been swimming and eating better, but I know I have to start toning soon!

I too wish I had done more progress pics, but better now than never! Keep up the good work, you will see changes when you least expect them
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 40lb weight loss, that's awesome. Along with the scale, take measurements. For a few months I was doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred and then Insanity. The scale really didn't move at all, but I lost a total of 17 inches overall. I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't taken my starting measurement. As for the commercials, I laugh at them too. All the diet pill commercials add, in small writing, works along with eating a healthy diet and excercise.
  • jennidax
    Options
    to answer the "I have lost 40lbs and still wear the same size clothes" I work in an office, and have always been seriously overweight. Because of extremely low self-confidence, I would never wear anything remotely fitted or sized.

I wear all elastic waist long skirts and flowy tunic-like shirts. Also the bigger the better tshirts on my days off.

So I have no idea what size I actually wear at all. I am a big fan of S/M/L/XL/2XL I don't know how to shop for sized clothes at all :( how sad is that.
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    yes, I watched one where they worked out with a ballet bar. Says it equals 6 hours of cardio in one hour of ballet bar. Really? I'm working with a trainer and know how much hard work you have to do. I can't believe people fall for this.
  • traciekurtz
    traciekurtz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 40 pounds! That's a lot of weight. In regards to the clothing issue, take a friend with you to shop or ask for help from the sales people. I have had to get measured before. I felt kind of silly, but the sales woman was very friendly. Besides, it's what they get paid for! You just have to start seeing the new you instead of the old one when you look in the mirror! Give yourself a pat on the back because you deserve it!:smile: