Help!! Need some home decorating tips on a budget

Options

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I went to ShopKo which is like KMart or a smaller chain of WalMart that we have in the Northwest. They had 40% off deals for all the cheap pictures. I bought a ton of those, even small ones, and they transformed the apartment!

And I also recommend Ross. I haven't purchased anything there yet but I was blown away at the crazy good deals... Well I did get a Polo brand towel set for like $3 and a thing to rest my spatulas/big spoons in on the stove for a buck! It's fun!

Bedding I purchased at WalMart. I bought one top blanket with matching decorative pillows then two sheet sets that matched the top blanket so I can swap them out to wash and clean.

Furniture is easy to pick up at thrift stores.

Also check out Craigslist... they have a huge furniture section that is very active. It's kind of awkward dealing with people but maybe you'll find a steal worth the hassle.

Yard sales are also a great place to check out. Usually very popular on Saturdays.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'll get more detailed since you are really looking for help:
    Find things that make the MOST out of a room to spend more money on-sheets you can go a tad cheaper since they don't show. The comforter DOES show. For sheets, Walmart has microfiber sheet sets. I got a set for my daughter and they are SO soft and a nice quality. I think the twin set was only around $15.
    For a comforter, especially for a teen, I'd get a reversible design so if they get sick of it, you don't need to spend more money to change the look-just flip it.
    Craigslist, Freecycle, Salvation Army and Goodwill for furniture. I know my salvation army has 1/2 price furniture on Mondays I think, so call and see what day their furniture is marked down. Be sure it is nice quality construction. If the finish is ugly, relize with a paint brush, sand paper and some paint, you can make any piece of furniture look new, so look PAST the finish.
    Bathroom-get good TOWELS. Nothing sucks more than a crappy towel. Wait, though-Kohls usually has really good sales on theirs, so wait for the sale. If they are doing Kohls cash, even better. Buy some stuff you need, get the kohls cash then go back and get more stuff when you redeem the Kohls cash.
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you are near a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, sign up for their email mailing list. You'll get a coupon by email for 20% off any single item. You can get a lot of cookware, bedding, bath stuff, etc., there. You can sign up using different emails (I used 4) and get one coupon for each email.

It's especially useful if you are looking to make a big purchase, like a microwave. They will continue to send you 20% off coupons periodically. I've saved so much on big purchases this way -- coffee maker, juicer, Vitamix, steam mop.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I need to purchase bedding ASAP and non stick cookware.

Any websites with good decorating ideas?
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you would aquire herb, it's been years...

But the rest of the stuff.. well when I moved I found it all at Target for not too much money.
    Costco can sometimes have good deals on TV's. Really research that part.

LOL :wink:
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Consignment shops are awesome...!!! IKEA is pretty reasonable and Wal-Mart, Target, TJ MAXX.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    my best advice is to let the items find you. don't settle for something because it's on sale or at target etc. We have a room that still isn't furnished because we simply haven't found the right piece for the right price yet. I say this, because it is a waste of money to buy something cheap that is ok, and just have to replace it in a year when you no longer like it or it breaks.

75% of our home is furnished from consignment shops. Lovely wonderful places. They are awesome. IKEA is good for knick nacks. Christmas Tree Shop is good for seasonal decor. I wouldn't recommend buying furniture from Walmart or Target, I have NEVER had any luck with those pieces. Bed Bath and Beyond always has coupons, and you might stumble upon a good deal there.

But like I said, don't decide to furnish the bathroom per say this weekend. Instead, go shopping, and purchase what you find that you love for the right price, build upon that.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Also, look in the clearance section of Kohls. We got sheets and a down alternative comforter for half price.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Overstock.com -- free shipping usually, and at most it's $3 per order (doesn't matter if you order a bed, couch and dining set, the whole order ships for $2.95). Only get stuff that has reviews, and then judge whether you think it's worth it or not, but I've gotten some GREAT deals from them over the years.
    Discount stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's are great for linens and dishes, especially if you like to mix & match dishes. Cookware can be hit or miss; sometimes it's super-cheap and other times no less expensive than Target (still a good deal). If you're willing to put in the maintenance, cast iron is fabulous. If you're going to leave tomato-based food in the pot a while, don't get the caphalon-type pans. If you get non-stick, then make sure you get soft (i.e., wood or silicone) utensils so you don't scratch it all up -- the particles will get in your food.
    How much can you decorate (i.e., can you paint?)? Color goes a long way towards decorating. Apartmenttherapy.com always has some awesome ideas, and there's frequently some ikea featured there. HGTV.com also has lots of sites & shows with episodes online for ideas.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    What type of cookware set do you suggestion? There are so many out there?

Check Amazon. I've found some great deals on there on pots & pan sets, especially if you look on Fridays when they have their Friday Sales.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Also, for the biggest impact for the least amount of dollars... paint the walls a strong color, even if it's just one accent wall. Go neutral on big ticket items, like couches, rugs, tables, chairs, and go bold on wall color and accessories, like pillows, lamps, etc. You can change that stuff out when you get tired of them.

I like to check Lowes and Home Depot for "oops" paint... mis-tinted colors and stuff people returned. Sometimes you can get it as low as $5 a gallon, and depending on the size of a room, a gallon might be enough to do the whole thing. And for me, there's the thrill of the hunt... not knowing what colors they'll have and possibly getting inspired if they do have something I really like.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    For bedding and bath I would look at Bed Bath and Beyond (look for the coupons that come in the mail) or JC Penney. For the other stuff I would look at Costco.
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    CRAIGSLIST!!! (especially for the dresser, bathroom decor, & wall decor type items) and skip the bedding if its second hand (go to walmart or Target for these items!!)
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    I like the consignment shop idea and taking my time until I find the right piece. I also shop on Amazon but I need a cookware set buy this weekend.

Plan to have my buddies over to watch football this weekend!!! Need to buy some bowls and plates for snacks
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bedding, bath, cookware- Target

TV- Amazon (great deals plus NO TAX for most states)

Dresser- Ikea

Good luck and have fun :happy:
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Try walmart!! Get a http://pinterest.com/ account!! You can type in a decorating idea or room type and find endless do it yourself ideas.
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    I plan to shop Bed, Bath and Beyond for bedding. Need to purchase glassware like purex.

Where should I go for home decorating ideas? Not very color coordinated.
  • Topsking2010
    Options

Try walmart!! Get a http://pinterest.com/ account!! You can type in a decorating idea or room type and find endless do it yourself ideas.

Thanks!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Plan to have my buddies over to watch football this weekend!!! Need to buy some bowls and plates for snacks

Best thing for stuff like that? Some disposable aluminum pans. I use them all the time for parties or when I have to take food to someone else's house for a party.

Buy some bags of frozen, ready to cook chicken nuggets and bake them, toss them with some buffalo or barbecue sauce, and you have instant "boneless wings." Serve with some celery and some ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.

Then just toss it in the recycling bin when you're done.

Your buddies will understand you're a new homeowner. They're not going to expect Martha Stewart.
  • Anaconda62
    Options
    I love Real Simple's website. And Better Homes and Gardens has good decorating ideas too.