DIET PILLS...YES OR NO?

Options
13»

Replies

• PhyllisMarie1
    PhyllisMarie1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think I have had that digestive nightmare as well. I threw up everything that had any type of greese of yeast in it! I felt this burning sensation and before I knew it I was pasted out in the bathroom floor!! OMG, the worst!
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    appetite suppressants might be helpful if a person eats because they are actually hungry. i eat out of boredom, stress, emotion...so these wouldn't help me. other kinds of diet pills, I'm not sure of...some of the side effects on some diet pills are kinda scary...not worth the risk.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Well it depends. If you're not worried by potentially fatal heart problems, palpitations and prolonged bouts of extreme fatigue then go for it. The only diet pills you should EVER take are the ones prescribed by a doctor and they can have some pretty nasty side effects. Order from the internet and you are just asking for amphetamine laced trouble.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are good, I take them. Unfortunately they do cause heart problems in the long run. That doesn't stop me from trying from trying most of them

OH yeah they're great - they just kill you in the end - seriously ?????

A huge no from me. While I think Dr prescribed ones might occasionally be good for extremely overweight people who need a kick-start - they should be short term under medical supervision. For 99% of people no and totally no is anything bought over the counter - or even worse off the internet. Those thing have killed people. :explode:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Not just no.....HELL NO!!!!!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have taken some in the past. Some have worked great!!! BUT...try to get back into the real world. Get off of them, and all that weight comes back. So a huge fat NOOOOOOO from me.

Agred.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    For me YES. I take a diet pill 2-3 times a week just to help me stay where I need to stay on days I am at home. I can't take it more than that cause I climb the walls and can't sleep. It works for me .
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You should buy like 5 different kinds and stack them..............

^ I laughed so hard I sprayed water on my IPad !
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are good, I take them. Unfortunately they do cause heart problems in the long run. That doesn't stop me from trying from trying most of them

A huge no from me. While I think Dr prescribed ones might occasionally be good for extremely overweight people who need a kick-start - they should be short term under medical supervision. For 99% of people no and totally no is anything bought over the counter - or even worse off the internet. Those thing have killed people. :explode:
    Look at her profile. She's 5'3" with a goal weight between 89-100 lbs and admits to eating less than 1000 calories a day and knows that her habits are unhealthy but does them anyway. Do you really expect sound advice or reasonable opinions?
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Not for me.

If I only ate because I was hungry, I suppose diet pills would help. But I can eat quite happily and quite often w/o ever feeling a hunger pang.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Look at her profile. She's 5'3" with a goal weight between 89-100 lbs and admits to eating less than 1000 calories a day and knows that her habits are unhealthy but does them anyway. Do you really expect sound advice or reasonable opinions?

Yeah - i went in and looked after I posted. :noway: So not good and such a waste.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    No. Unless you like wasting money, then yes.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    133162641960.gif
  • meenzer
    meenzer Posts: 100
    Options
    A clear NO to Pills! To each pill is at least one side effect and/or ristrictions. So why spending time and money on something that can be done naturally. It takes longer, but the result is more then just losing the weight, it is healthier eating, enjoying activities in the long run ... :flowerforyou:
  • untouchable86
    Options
    no!.... i took adipex over a year ago lost 60 pounds and felt great! but as soon as i got off of them i gained all of that weight back plus some! :(.. loseing weight is a lifestyle change. its something your gonna have to work hard at to maintain. there is no quick fix to being overweight
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Here's my experience:

Back when I was 235, I had a HUGE appetite for sweets (and for most unhealthy fast food). When I first began walking (to get down to 205) I needed help controlling my appetite. I decided to give a bottle's worth a try.

Here are my thoughts:

1. If you already consume a lot of caffeine, the "Revving of your metabolism" claim will have no effect as the main ingredient of it (of the one I took) is usually caffeine.

2. It did curb my appetite and it assisted me in eating less. If you are needing help curbing your appetite, then I think they can be useful (I had a 30 day supply and I told myself that after I get my eating under control, I was not going to keep taking them). I took them for 2 weeks. I cannot say if I would of been able to lower my portion size or the daily quantity of food without them (This website didn't exist 8 years ago). Again, COULD I of reduced my food intake without the pills? Probably. However, I cannot say for certain. After the two weeks of taking them passed, I was able to keep my food intake down without the use of the appetite suppressant pills.

3. The increased heart rate that can be caused by these pills can be very scary and could be harmful. For the first few days, I was very worried that while I was resting, my heart was racing at over 100 beats/min. (Estimate, I don't remember exactly what it was. It may of been over 120 BPM).

4. Many (if not most) of these unregulated pills' claims are unfounded. Again, I cannot prove a negative. However, seeing as they come out with a "new and improved" version of their diet pills every few months, I doubt that any research is done.

5. Since this industry is unregulated, there could be many long term (or short term) effects that are harmful due to taking these pills.

When I began my lifestyle change in June, I didn't use any weight loss pills.

Note: I've been told that many of these pills do not work as advertised (go figure). I guess I got lucky and I was able to experience what the manufacturer claimed would happen. Then again, I did lower my food intake (because I wasn't hungry) and was walking every day. I'm guessing I would of lost some weight due to walking, but the pills did help me control my food intake. After the two weeks, I was able to keep the food portion size and total intake down (to maintain a 205 weight).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    Uhm. NO. They cause more harm than they do good, and it's not worth it. Besides, they aren't teaching you anything. All they teach you is that there's another pill to help cure something, when in reality, it all comes down to diet and exercise, and the pills don't even 'cure' it. It's a quick fix with side effects that can kill you and cause even more problems later down the road. I'd rather do it the right way, have it take longer, and even get frustrated when I hit those plateaus than risk major health problems down the road that I might face.

They simply aren't worth it IMO.
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It helped me get started on my diet, I noticed they stopped working after 2 weeks though so I quit them but still managed to maintain my diet. They aren't for everyone, but they were good at giving me a push start.