How do you reward yourself?

Options
I've notice that some people are taking a dream vacation when they get to their goal weight. Others get a massage when they reach a certain goal. What is your reward? Both short and long term.

I'm having a hard time with rewards. Chocolate cake is counterproductive (though allowed on rare occasions), and I recently quit smoking (yes, dieting and quiting at the same time, it's really the best way to go). Both of which used to be in my reward system. Oh yeah, I also hate shopping, so far the only reward is not having to shop for new clothes - just fit into the old ones.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I've notice that some people are taking a dream vacation when they get to their goal weight. Others get a massage when they reach a certain goal. What is your reward? Both short and long term.

I'm having a hard time with rewards. Chocolate cake is counterproductive (though allowed on rare occasions), and I recently quit smoking (yes, dieting and quiting at the same time, it's really the best way to go). Both of which used to be in my reward system. Oh yeah, I also hate shopping, so far the only reward is not having to shop for new clothes - just fit into the old ones.
  • jdaniels
    Options
    When I lose 50 lbs I am getting a new tattoo. For my long term I am going to Vegas for my 10th Wedding Anniversary if I lose the full 80 lbs. So I have till January 2009. I can do it!!
  • bmayfield
    Options
    My husband has promised me a new ring when I reach my goal of 50 lbs. As for short-term goals, I have already lost 26 lbs so last week, I treated myself to a new CD that I have been wanting. Nothing too extravagant, but it did the trick!

Betty
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Manicures are not terrifically expensive and a great luxury.

I think I'm due for a hot stone massage too. Expensive and an indescribable luxury.

or anything you love...a new lipstick, a new book, a leisurely walk in a park or an art museum. . .
    what you love...
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    My reward will be being able to take my shirt off in Mid-January on our cruise and not have anyone rub the buda! Longer term, If I reach my goal of running the Boston marathon (April 2009,17 months away!), I think I may buy myself a new HDTV so I can finally veg out a bit and watch my beloved Red Sox that summer! :bigsmile:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Mine will have to be clothes shopping I guess. I really don't like shopping, but most of the clothes I have are 5-10 years old and worn out, but I don't want to buy any new ones yet. Hopefully in December or January I can get a few things as a short term goal. I would also like to get a pedicure! I had one when I was 41 weeks pregnant and that felt soooo good to my poor feet! :laugh:
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    Short term reward: New Jeans, oh how I love putting on a new pair of jeans that is a size or two smaller than the other pairs in my drawer! That is the best feeling! :smooched:

Long term reward: I am going to the Virgin Islands in July (the reason for the diet, not the reward) but I want to get my belly button pierced again before I go! Gonna show off the tummy and a little bling! Haha!!

I gotta say, the best rewards for me personally are the ones that make me feel sexier. A manicure and pedicure, new jeans, cute dress, the salon cut that I never want to pay for! Whatever you do, continue to tell yourself how proud you are and how great you are looking! You are worth it! :heart:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Short term rewards are the smile on my hubby's face when I walk in the room. Other short term rewards have been going to a stylist and fitting into some really old clothes I used to wear. I wish I didn't have to shop but soon I will need some clothes. I've lost maybe 1/2(I'm not sure because I haven't been on the scale in a little while)of what I want to. I'm buying a new belt:bigsmile: thats short term. Long term my hubby said he would take me on a cruise when I lost it all. That would be about 55-60 lbs. I'me looking forward to that but haven't booked it yet.
  • helton1515
    Options
    I set rewards every week and month.

If i hit my goals for the week I treat myself to a pedicure . If i hit my goals for the month I treat myself to a massage.

I really dont think I will hit my ultimate goal, but if I do I will treat myself to a vacation with my partner :)
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Anything to make me feel better and reward my body for the hard work...
    ***Manicures
    ***Pedicures
    ***Massages
    ***Clothes Shopping
    ***ANYTHING at the hairdresser
    I don't go clothes shopping very often anymore. I used to cruise the mall for deals weekly, but since I have gained all the weight, none of the stores have any clothes that fit me, unless I shop in the men's section.
    Someday I will be able to shop again and fit into the clothes, and like the way I look!
    Something that makes me happier than anything is when someone asks me if I am losing weight! That is better than anything a hairdresser could ever do! Now that I mention it, the last time I went to the hairdresser, she asked me if I was losing weight! DOUBLE BONUS! :smile:
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but I've promised myself a new bra when I get down another 5 lbs. lol
    The reward for me is looking in the mirror and starting to see some definition instead of a double chin. There you are! :bigsmile: Thought I'd lost the young woman in me, all I was seeing before was my mother and grandmother in the mirror. I don't mind aging, but would like to be as healthy as I can while I'm here!
  • chindersinn
    Options
    These are great ideas, guys! This has been a challenge for me as well, since traditionally the way I have always celebrated is dessert or other high calorie foods.

One thing I am wondering is that most of these rewards seem to involve spending some money- does anyone have thoughts on rewards that involve neither food or money, for a day-to-day reward?
  • tdroseler
    Options
    Rewards are tough...especially since all my life food has been a reward
    my budget is extreemly tight, so buying things is kinda on the outside edge. (although, im dieing for the day i can buy something at Value Village again:bigsmile: )
    So far i too have drawn a bit of a blank.
    My hubby is really great about giving me short term rewards. He sure does notice a difference already, and makes sure to tell me. That fills me with joy.
    We have a small consignment shop here in my town. I have talked with the lady that owns it and she has agreed that as i loose weight, she will give me credit, equal to the amount she would sell my "bigger" clothes. at, rather than giving me the conginment price. I think that is really great of her. She told me, she used to be in my shoes, and loosing isn't easy, but that any encouragment is a good reward.
    She is right. Sometimes the rewards just have to come from within. Like realizing that for every 10 lbs, i could gain another 1-5 yrs living life, being around family. Or that each lb is = to not having a complcation because my diabetes is under much better control.
    The littlest accomplishment is made bigger in my eyes. works for me, so far...til i win that lottery :laugh:
  • jdaniels
    Options
    A Day to Day reward. Find a nice quiet spot. For me it is the shower and tell yourself how well you are doing and how much healther you will be soon. Give yourself a big pat on the back.:smooched:
  • chearrbear
    Options
    Short Term: To be able to wear lingerie for my man and not feel self consicous.
    Long Term: When I make it to my weight to get a tatoo in japense or script on the inner side of my wrist, one will say love and the other new beginning. The symbolism will be that this is the start of a new healthier life for me and my loved ones:smile:
  • playinwfire
    Options
    Long term putting my gorgeous swimming suits that I bought 3 years ago when I lost all the weight that I gained this year:explode: !

Short term buying a sexy dress for Christmas and let hubby look at me and see ME instead of thinking about my mom and how I'm going to turn if I don't cotinue losing.
  • jmlane1981
    Options
    I am going to have to think about this...:huh: That may help me with my motivation. :smokin:
  • jmlane1981
    Options
    My Rewards 4 Weight Loss

178 lbs = manicure/pedicure

168 lbs = dinner/movie

158 lbs = diamond necklace (hubby said)

148 lbs = lingerie for hubby (his reward and mine) and day at the spa:

138 lbs = weekend get-away wherever I want to go

130 lbs (Goal Weight) = Tummy Tuck because I will probably need it!!!

My baby helped me with my list.
  • blondebee
    blondebee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i'll probably buy myself some new clothes that i've wanted for a while. :bigsmile:
  • playinwfire
    Options
    My Rewards 4 Weight Loss

178 lbs = manicure/pedicure

168 lbs = dinner/movie

158 lbs = diamond necklace (hubby said)

148 lbs = lingerie for hubby (his reward and mine) and day at the spa:

138 lbs = weekend get-away wherever I want to go

130 lbs (Goal Weight) = Tummy Tuck because I will probably need it!!!

My baby helped me with my list.

OUPS ok forget the sexy dress I'm saving money for the tummy Tuck thingy ouch :frown: Thanks Jmlane for reminding me :huh: