Vegetarian protein

Options
2»

Replies

• Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options

That picture is hilarious. Because its actually the other way around on cholesterol. Irony!!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    TVP - Textured Vegetable Protein.

It's made from soy flour. It has next to nothing for flavor, therefore, you can adapt it to fit into any recipe that would otherwise call for meat (or not).

Tacos, spaghetti sauce with "meat", sloppy joes, meatloaf, burgers etc... and I did find a recipe for turning it into oatmeal, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils. We make soup at least once a week, cheap, low calorie, high protein, and we can have it for more than one meal. I love garbonzo beans so make a lot of things with them; tacos, "tuna" salad (my new obsession), the best sweet potato, garbonzo bean burger. Nom. I also try to have greek yogurt for a snack.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For other readers than the op, the complete protein myth was debunked decades ago. google carefully before believing the beef council ad above.

Be sure you use Chinese style tofu for better texture. Use Japanese style for baking, or to make authentic Japanese food only.
    I assume you're referring to me as an ad? Cmon you gotta do better than that.

The only part that has been debunked is that they need to be consumed together. Just like no-carbs-after-2PM and breakfasts=most-important-meal being debunked it falls under the same logic: it doesn't matter when you have it as long as it gets in. Which means you need to consume adequate amounts of the following 9 amino acids:
    Histidine—physical and mental growth
    Isoleucine—muscle production, blood formation
    Leucine—growth hormone production, tissue production and repair
    Lysine—bone development, hormone production
    Methionine—digestion of fats, removal of plaque
    Phenylalanine—brain processes and mood
    Threonine—monitoring of body proteins
    Tryptophan—mood, pain, and sleep regulation
    Valine—muscle production
    ^ All other amino acids (with the exception of arginine as conditional to athletic expenditure) can be synthesized by the human body from these 9. There's no myth behind the fact that lentils do not contain tryptophan. A few others:

Grains (lacking in lysine): brown rice, rye, wheat, cornmeal, barley, millet, oats, buckwheat
    Nuts and Seeds (lacking in lysine): walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds
    Legumes (lacking in methionine): beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos (chickpeas)<-- most also lack tryptophan
    Peanut butter lacks three of the essentials. Peanuts are also a legume, not a nut.

As stated before it doesnt mean you have to eat them together, they just have to be consumed in adequate amounts in a 24hr timetable to provide the nutritional quota. The problem with doing it this way is all the unnecessary carb intake that follows.

Soy actually does have a "complete" amino profile. Only problem is it wasn't actually meant for human consumption and wrecks absolute havoc on the female body. Also does a nasty number on mele genetalia and T:E ratio. So before you go believing another Cargill, ADM, or DuPont, Hershey, and Nestle ad why not google soy trypsin inhibitor.
    http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm
    http://www.thesoydeception.com/the-soy-deception/soy-a-powerful-trypsin-inhibitor.html
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb03482.x/abstract
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1973.tb02624.x/full
    Oh yeah... and speaking of DuPont... they started using soy as a paint additive between 19010-1920 and it was labeled an industrial commodity. And you want to eat this?
    This started out so well, until you got to soy and started listing Mercola as a source, and going on about soy being a paint additive... Water is labeled as an industrial solvent, industrial degreaser, and an industrial lubricant. And you want to drink it?

People have been eating soy for over 5000 years, long before DuPont decided to add it to paint.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
    Meta-analysis, soy has no effect on male T concentrations.

Also, apples, carrots, coffee, rice, beans, lentils, oats, bourbon, and beer all have those same phytoestrogens that you're demonizing soy for having.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    People have been eating soy for over 5000 years, long before DuPont decided to add it to paint.
    Correct. They were asian monks who consumed soy to help aid them sustain abstinence by disrupting endocrine function and libido.
    Sigh. :::facepalm::: You clearly don't know much on human endocrinology
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17585029

Also, apples, carrots, coffee, rice, beans, lentils, oats, bourbon, and beer all have those same phytoestrogens that you're demonizing soy for having.
    [/quote]

Also correct! But soy has it's own very unique phytoestrogens not found in any of these. You may be right about water being a solvent in paint but I don't have to ferment it before drinking it with dinner.
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cook the tofu like you would an egg in the morning, just over a skillet with a little olive oil and some pepper. That's how I get my protein in.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I get WAY more than 10g a day, and I am meat free. My diary is open to friends. Feel free to add me if you want to get some ideas! I usually average about 40-50g a day.

My Macros are 65%Carbs, 20% Fats and 15% Protein. That's pretty typical for an endurance athlete vegetarian.

Edit: I want to add that I rarely eat processed foods--like tofu. I do enjoy the occasional frozen patty or meal with tofu, but it's really not necessary for me to eat those types of foods to get the nutrients my body requires.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know you're asking for meals but if you want a supplement, warrior blend makes a plant based protein shake. It's also dairy/gluten/egg free.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    check out some vegetarian shakes with rice and pea protein - Vega makes some good stuff. or I think sun warrior

Kidney beans - just realized the protein they have.

quinoa is supposed to be a complete protein - although it doesn't have a ton of it. kinda more carb.

this dude might give you some ideas from his site http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_robert
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options

quinoa is supposed to be a complete protein - although it doesn't have a ton of it. kinda more carb.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to mention quinoa. I make an awesome quinoa and black bean salad which can be either vegetarian or vegan depending on the ingredients you choose. Quinoa itself has, I believe, 8g of protein.

Chia seeds are supposed to be even higher in protein than quinoa, but I'll admit to not having used them in any recipes yet.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to mention quinoa. I make an awesome quinoa and black bean salad which can be either vegetarian or vegan depending on the ingredients you choose. Quinoa itself has, I believe, 8g of protein.

Chia seeds are supposed to be even higher in protein than quinoa, but I'll admit to not having used them in any recipes yet.

hell yes - I also put chickpeas in mine, some walnuts etc. kicks *kitten*!

I have chia seeds at home - not sure about protein content. i'll have to look!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Correct. They were asian monks who consumed soy to help aid them sustain abstinence by disrupting endocrine function and libido.
    Sigh. :::facepalm::: You clearly don't know much on human endocrinology
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17585029

Also correct! But soy has it's own very unique phytoestrogens not found in any of these. You may be right about water being a solvent in paint but I don't have to ferment it before drinking it with dinner.
    [/quote]
    tigerpalm.jpg

Ok, first of all, I'd love to see your archaeological or anthropological evidence proving your ridiculous first comment there... Last time I checked, Chinese emperors weren't "Asian monks," but maybe your definition is different.

Also, you posted a study showing that consuming soy helps lower the risk of cancer. Why is that a bad thing exactly?
  • mermaid00
    mermaid00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Seitan is good - I make it from scratch when I can find vital gluten flour. Homemade seitan is great in all sorts of dishes - sometimes I would just saute it in a pan with some olive oil spray, spices, and put on a salad, a sandwich, etc.

I like the Quorn products and Gardein frozen fake "meat" products as well. The Gardein products often contain soy protein isolate, which is a "franken food" (walks that fine line of "natural" vs. "supernatural") - but unlike other products on the market the Gardein brand states they do not use GMO soy.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I've just added this:
    Garden of Life - Raw Protein Beyond Organic Protein Formula (Vanilla), 1 scoop= 90 calories, 4 carbs, 0 fat, 17 protein!

Feel free to add me if you want to stalk my diary.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am assuming by vegetarian, you don't mean vegan....

Savoury oatmeal is a great breakfast: add a free-range egg and some cheese and voila, you've got a protein-rich breakfast. Not too many cals either (one egg and one serving of cheese are very reasonable in terms of calories).

I use tofu a lot, and there are so many ways to use it: grill it with our favourite sauce for a delicious sandwich, put it into stirfry or soup, etc.

You can add TVP to chili along with your beans

Make a hearty vegetable soup with lots of beans and your favourite soup grain (ie. rice or barley).

When I make homemade spaghetti, I stir some kidney beans into the sauce to make a complete protein for the meal.

Some people like fake meats. I'm not a huge fan, but others love them. Veggies burgers can be great though, and are full of protein.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hemp hearts. They are good on cereal, in yogurt, etc.