do you eat back calories burned?

Options

Replies

• mztrackfield010407
    mztrackfield010407 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did until about 2 weeks ago. I lost 100 pounds eating them back. The only reason I 'stopped' is that I started a bodyweight workout program. Strength training is hard to track calories, and is supposed to increase your calories burn, even when not exercising, so I instead increased my activity level to account for the increase that way. So technically, I'm not tracking my exercising and eating them, but I am eating more than my BMR because I am burning more than if I wasn't exercising.
    WOW 120lbs lost!!! Congrats!!!
  • sinman22807
    sinman22807 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I usually dont. I am allowed 1540 calories a day. I usually burn 400 to 600 a day. I may go over by a few of my 1540 but never eat all the calories back.. I couldnt do that. its too much food for me lol
  • jeleda913
    Options
    Occassionally I will if I want a special treat, but typically I don't. I don't find that I need or crave any extra calories, even with working out. But I would say that if you really feel hungry, this is your body's way of telling you something. :-)
  • blacklaceroses
    blacklaceroses Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    never felt the need to.................
  • linusr
    linusr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most of them back, and I've been losing weight steadily since I started in April or May.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked that because I was wondering the same thing! I have never eaten the extra calories they suggest. I was hoping that wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I tried but it has not worked at all.

the last 2 weeks I have not and I have seen the scales move down.

I guess it depends if you feel you need them.

If I go over by 100-200 I dont stress.

This game is a hard one to play and we all play it so differently and get different results.

Good luck its not easy but its worth it. Go with being HEALTHY NOT SKINNY
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It will depend on how many I've burned. Also, as others wrote, I don't use MFP's numbers...for my daily intake. I set my exercise level to 'sedentary' that way, any exercise I do get, I can track and make an informed decision on whether or not I wish to 'eat back' those burned calories.

Today, for instance, I was on my feet moving around the better part of 11 hours, will I eat all those calories back? No, but I did eat some, I needed the fuel.
  • KimFriesen64
    Options
    When I first started with MFP I did. I gained weight. Now I try not to but don't kick myself if I go over. 90 percent rule...eat well 90 percent of the time and whatever you want 10 percent of the time. Since I started this philosophy in 2 weeks I have lost 7 pounds!
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back the cals l burn. If l go over l don't care because l burn around a extra 2400 cals a day and l could not eat 3600 cals a day.I have been losing weight at around 1-2 lbs per week so l am very happy with it so far.
  • chanixxx
    Options
    I don't eat the burned cals, but I don't think i could eat that much since I started exercising so much, no time :yawn:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Yes i do. All of them.
  • aussiemegs82
    Options
    I hover between 1200 to 1500 cals a day and what end of the scale i end up on depends on how much i burn. If I dont exercise, I drift around 1200. If I have gone hard and burnt alot, I tend to need around the 1500 mark. So it vaires.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm glad you asked that because I was wondering the same thing! I have never eaten the extra calories they suggest. I was hoping that wouldn't be a bad thing.

yes, it is a bad thing. eat them.
  • Tiffikat
    Options
    I eat some back. but not all. It really depends on how hungry I am. If I'm hungry I eat. I'm not willing to deny myself food when I can find something nutritious and filling. If I'm not hungry I meet my minimum and don't push it.
  • kcatlin9
    kcatlin9 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I most often did not eat more than the starting calories a day (1750 - 1350 after resetting my goal a few times). On the rare occasion when I did, I didn't eat back all the calories burned. On the couple days where we went to a wedding or other big event, I treated myself to enjoying the food in moderation without thinking about the calories. Sure I gained a few, but I lost it within 2 - 3 days thanks to knowing how and a cranked up metabolism.

The result...I hit my goal of losing 70 pounds in only 4 months. I never expected to lose that much that fast.

It worked for me, but I suppose some legalese is fair that it may not work or be safe for everyone. I've seen many discussion threads on MFP arguing against doing this, especially with lower calories per day counts.
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back, if I eat more than 1400 cals a day I seem to gain weight & I could eat around 2000 to 2200 after my workout cals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Always ate most of them back.

I've recently switched to eating about 10% below my TDEE (about 2100, TDEE is about 2300) to allow myself a little wiggle room to not log my food on weekends, but I'm still losing, so I'll probably up it more.

I'm convinced that I'm able to eat this much now in maintenance because I didn't train my body to survive on minimal calories while I was losing.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them but rarely all. I started at 160 pounds and have lost 10 pounds since August 1. I am losing weight at an ideal rate eating them back. MFP intends you to eat them back. It's worked into the formula. I burn 200-500 calories for a workout approximately five days a week. MFP gives me 1600 to lose a half pound a week. Eating them back is working perfectly for me, and I am right on track, losing weight at a healthy rate.
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Most days I do. Seems to be working fine for me.