Do you count alcohol in your calorie goal?

Options
My calorie goal is 1200 a day, and I drink 2-3 standard drinks (355ml bottle beer) every day, which is about 300-400 calories. This means I can only eat about 800 calories a day , or be 400 calories over...

I starve over 800 calories a day... any help pls?

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking 400 calories a day. Problem solved. Or do more cardio. Or more weights. Or stop drinking every day.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Of course you count it; that's 400 calories you're consuming whether you like it or not. If you're too hungry because of it, cutting down on the alcohol seems the obvious solution. It seems a little shortsighted to forgo actual nutrition for a drink (though I understand the appeal).
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As stated, earn those drinks by burning 400 more calories through exercise.
  • tamia11
    tamia11 Posts: 28
    Options
    I went from drinking a 6 pack everyday to NOTHING!!! You dont need to drink everyday!! But to answer your question, yes I have friends that count theirs in
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i count them, but I make room for them too
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking 400 calories a day. Problem solved. Or do more cardio. Or more weights. Or stop drinking every day.

Or stop eating at such a ridiculously low level and trying to lose weight too fast. Up your calories to a level you can comply with and still lose weight.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    i count them, but I make room for them too

This right here^^^

When I know that I'll have a drink or two, which is rare, I'll work out extra longer to accommodate this.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

LOL. yep. i love booze. but it's empty cals and also my nemesis! :drinker:

beer.....whisky. hell yes
  • prettyvera
    prettyvera Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Guess I will have to do more gym to make room for my drinks. ╮(╯_╰)╭
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    the calories i get from alchohol are the worst kind!! (but so fun to consume!)
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    If I consume it, I count it.
  • KimFriesen64
    Options
    Seriously????
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Of course! You shoulda seen the day I went to a beer festival. And then there was Friday where my diary just looked like i went to a beer festival.
  • prettyvera
    prettyvera Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Of course! You shoulda seen the day I went to a beer festival. And then there was Friday where my diary just looked like i went to a beer festival.

LOL.. Fri is the big night hey; )
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you count it? Does your liquor not have calories? You should track everything you consume, even food and drink that is listed as having 0 calories because there might be other effects on the body that you will notice only if you have a record over time.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    what about cutting back to just twice a week? or instead of 2-3 drinks a day how about 1? i agree with upping your calories, but drinking 3 beers a night in the midst of weight loss seems counter productive.

i like to drink beer on occasion too but i have only done it once since starting MFP two months ago. and it was counter productive, let me tell you. i carefully allocated 4 beers to fit in with my calories that day. had a nice healthy dinner.

well, 4 beers turned into 6 and then i ordered a pizza. after the nice, healthy dinner. not good.

this week i am having a maintenance/binge meal. i've really only had 1 or 2 since starting. i've allocated myself a number of beers but i'm also going on a ride that night and burning an additional 500 calories to make up for it.
  • jvrichards
    Options
    1/3 of your daily caloric intake in beer?

That's a bit silly for someone who's serious about... well, living.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you "need" 3-4 beers a day, do you think you have a different problem? I enjoy scotch and gin as much as anyone, but you learn to limit those drinks to only once or twice a week, and/or drink on days you can get a good calorie burn in, to compensate. I'm not of the opinion you should remove anything you enjoy in your diet, but just limit it and learn to consume those things in moderation. If you really "need" 3-4 beers, maybe you aren't ready for the lifestyle change healthy eating requires....
  • annoz
    annoz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1/3 of your daily caloric intake in beer?

That's a bit silly for someone who's serious about... well, living.

^^this^^

You can't be getting all your nutrients from 800 calories, and then putting in 400 empty calories...AND working out more...you are not going to have a happy body.
  • djbrodeur
    Options
    Yes you count alcohol. There is a line of drinks called skinny girl that has reduced calories... You can look up all alcohol per ounce on the Internet.