Best and worst thing about MFP?

Options
13»

Replies

• gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The best: It's free, no meetings, always available, constant support, inspiring, real stories from people struggling like the rest of us with real problems, some unrelated to food, eating and fitness.
    The worst: Strength training can't be calculated into calorie expenditure, not so easy to access with my phone, kind of addictive.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Best thing: its free and it works great, huge food library

Worst thing: can't really think of anything
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Best - It's a free, easy, addictive tracking tool. The community (as mentioned elsewhere also the worst).

Worst - The standard macronutrient guidelines are horrible for yer typical sugar/starch-addicted dieter who is calorie-fixated. IMO.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The Best:
    Relatively easy way to track calories and weight.

The presence of some very well-informed and helpful people.

The Worst:
    Seeing how poorly informed and self-deluded so many people are -- a Registered Dietitian and personal trainer has come on this site a couple times and every single time has said that if you're not losing weight the problem is you're eating too much and exercising too little. Yet many people won't accept that.

Seeing the same basic questions posted repeatedly with the same incorrect or outdated information offered as an answer.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The best is the cost. Free is good!

The worst is the inability to change the meal plan from " breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks". I want the ability to name "meal 1, meal 2, ....". I eat 5 300cal meals a day. I don't "snack".
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The best is the cost. Free is good!

The worst is the inability to change the meal plan from " breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks". I want the ability to name "meal 1, meal 2, ....". I eat 5 300cal meals a day. I don't "snack".

.....errrr, you can do that.
  • LostinAcademia
    LostinAcademia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Best: the HUGE database of foods. Also the food diary telling me how much I can expect to weigh in 5 weeks.

Worst: The 1200 cal min thing, but also how it's telling me I'm burning 1700 calories a day just by sitting around, when every other site/calculator ever has me at around 13-1400... It seems that it's part of the 1200 calorie minimum. I mean, I'm fine eating at least 1200 calories a day, I just dislike getting my hopes up thinking I'll lose a pound a week, when it'd be more like a pound a month.
  • jdennisj
    Options
    I'd like to see a list of all my foods in one place. The way it is now i have to keep re-adding.Example, if i had an apple for breakfast it will only show up in breakfast foods.So if i ate an apple for a snack and i click on add food from my snack menu ...theres is no listing of an apple so i have to re enter....Unless i'm doing something wrong and that is very possible...lol only been on MFP for 2 weeks

You can use the "All Meals" feature to see the listing for the apple you had at breakfast and record it for lunch or a snack.
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see a list of all my foods in one place. The way it is now i have to keep re-adding.Example, if i had an apple for breakfast it will only show up in breakfast foods.So if i ate an apple for a snack and i click on add food from my snack menu ...theres is no listing of an apple so i have to re enter....Unless i'm doing something wrong and that is very possible...lol only been on MFP for 2 weeks

If you go to recent foods all of your foods should come up. That's what I do. Hope this helps.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Worst thing: I'm sure the exercise counts are way off.
    Best thing: A diet i can stick to. I only need to know calories, I dont need another program or someone to tell me if I can eat something. Soo much freedom!
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The best part of MFP is that I can track my diet to my specifications (even if "the system" doesn't "approve" of my macronutrient split...idc) privately. The worst part of MFP is the proliferation of a combination of bro- and Dr. Oz- science that would lead people astray from the basic, factual, and researched-to-death science of body recomposition, which is (ostensibly) what we all signed up for in the first place. It would seem that the moderators are more concerned with my posting pictures of me in my underwear than in cleaning up any possibly misleading health advice.