Is it worth joining the gym?

Options
Hi guys, I'm not sure whether to join the gym or not. I was going running, got up to running 5k, although only did it once, but before that we were running 25 minutes frequently, it took 39 to do the 5k. With the nights getting colder and wetter I'm starting to think it might be worth joining the gym again. I'm just not sure how much difference it would make if I started doing weights while I'm still fat. Should I wait til I've lost the bulk of the weight and then start?

Replies

• amlynn16
    amlynn16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's never to early to start the gym. If you start now with the weights, you may not see as much of a weight loss for a couple of weeks because you're building up the muscles. Building muscles actually will help loose the weight because what the muscle does it helps burn the fat. I know some people do love running outside no matter what time of year it is. I still have a lot to loose (about 65 pounds) but it'd be well worth it since is getting colder outside.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The best time to start strength training is yesterday but I'll assume you don't have a time machine so today will do fine too.

While cardio burns more calories and promotes cardiovascular fitness strength training is exceptionally beneficial too in terms of body composition and ( especially if you plan on continuing running) injury resistance. I'm sure your gym also has the usual selection of cardio machines too so one day strength, the next a cardio workout. (Lots of people run outdoors all year 'round too - it's just a matter of dressing for the the cooler weather and thinking in terms of being highly visible)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Don't know what your goals are, but this will probably cover it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Join the gym. Lift weights. It will not only help with losing weight, but stronger legs will also make you a better runner, and less injury prone.
  • jsheehan46
    jsheehan46 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    IMHO a gym is just another vehicle for excercise. What I enjoy at the gym is the freinds I've made and some of the group fitness classes. If you do join and don't feel like going, don't use it as a crutch not to get your exercise in.....just saying!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If you can afford and will use a gym, sure, join it. There will be more variety of equipment than you could ever have at home.

Strength training is good for you, but the amount of calories that muscle burns has been greatly overstated. In addition, you should continue doing cardio to burn fat. Most important, though, is maintaining a calorie deficit through diet.
  • fitboricua
    fitboricua Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else although I prefer to excercise at home.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Only join a gym if you know you are going to use it. So many people got for a few weeks and that's it.
    You can do a good work out at home with very little equipment. Exercise bands in differing resistance levels.
    A few hand weights and a yoga mat. Much cheaper than an un-used gym membership.
  • MAponte73
    MAponte73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just joined a gym and will be meeting with a trainer once a month. I think it was worth it, because of what you said the weather is holding you back as it did for me. GO FOR IT...
  • jagnal
    jagnal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It depends on you and how you would work out. For me I joined an all women's gym and is monthly. They have the Les Mills classes and I love them!! I work out in groups and it is very motivating for me.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It is for me even though I only go two to three times a week. I live in a rural area and the gym is in the same town where I work two or three days a week part-time. On the days I work (usually just 3-4 hours), I also go to the gym. I do most of my cardio at home on a stationary bike or walking, but I do strength training for 45 minutes a visit at the gym plus I use some cardio machines I like (rowing machine, water resistance ergometer) I don't otherwise have access to. My gym is for people over 50 (I'm 62) and the people who work there set up an individual program for me which they tweak every few months. I've been a member for three years and I wouldn't want to give it up.

I do use it for exercise though, not socializing. I see a lot of people walk in the door, use a couple of machines, talk to a lot of people, eat a snack (!) and then leave again. Not very productive, IMO.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you will use it, then join. I have never lost weight faster than when I started lifting. And like a previous poster said, it will help you become a stronger runner. You don't have to be skinny to lift weights - it will still be beneficial and I feel like I have never seen my body transform so much, unlike when I was just doing cardio.
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you have reservations about joining a gym, you could do at home workouts. Have you looked into any available?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    weights will make a huge difference. Do it. No question.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I had exercise equipment at home, but always found an excuse not to use it. When I joined my gym, I committed to a three year contract, and now love to go there. It's especially nice to use when it's cold, rainy or snowing outside. I work with a trainer once a week, but feel it's been a great investment for me. It all depends on your situation - if you don't plan to use it, or have alternatives that will keep you active, save your money. It really depends on you.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Too bad you can't easily join a gym for 3-4 months while the weather sucks, then just walk away. They make it incredibly painful to quit. Do you have a neighborhood community center with fitness? They usually don't have the fancy machines, but all you really need is a barbell, free weights and heat.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It's worth it to me as doing things outside is hard due to my work schedule and I really don't have the room or money for my own weights. If you'll use it and really want to do it, go for it!
  • niwrehs
    niwrehs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, do not get fancy.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    People thinking they need to lose weight before they go to the gym is like thinking that you should wait until you're dead of cancer to go to the doctor. There are people at all stages of fitness at gyms, so chances are you're not going to stand out as much as you fear. If anybody notices at all, you're most likely just another person that's trying to get more physically fit.

The only thing I'd say is that you shouldn't join the gym if you don't think you'll use it. Go, get your business done, and get out.
  • mhammaker
    mhammaker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the gym is fun and in a way for me very motivating because now it's not only my wan to loose the weight, but it's all so not wanting to waste my $$$$$!! you know? lol