Intermittent fasting?

Options
I need opinions on intermittent fasting. I starting doing it a week ago.. fasting for 16 to 20 hrs and I feel great. My eating window is normally 5 hours from 1pm to 6pm. I know some people says it doesn't work for women but mostly for men. I am trying to lose some fat and gain muscle.

What do ya'll think about it?

Replies

• FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started IF a few months ago and I love it. Not specifically for weight loss, but lifestyle. I used to be someone who dragged around protein shakes and chicken in Tupperware...not anymore.

Now I want to lose weight and I'm excited to use IF with calorie restriction and see how it goes.
  • joyceca
    joyceca Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i've been on it for about three weeks and its great! it makes a lot of sense to me. i eat from 4-8 and keep myself busy with school and the gym. always do your workouts fasted it makes so much of a difference! you will be so energized and enjoy your food even more! also, dont forget water! i drink about 4.5 liters a day not only because i loove water but it really helps. try it out for at least two weeks to see how you like it! good luck! :)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I eat as often as I can/want. If I could eat while I slept, I would do that as well. So, no fasting for me.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love it so far. :)
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    IF works the same for men and women across the board. It's still about calorie balance. Whatever type of meal frequency or timing works for you, go for it. I like to do IF when I am cutting. I just skip breakfast and eat 2 big meals later in the day. IF is punishment if you're bulking. All that food at once... it can really turn out to be a chore!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman and it works for me I noticed some fat loss while still retaining muscle, I workout fasted and I do 16 hour fasts daily with a few 24 hour fasts depending how I'm feeling. you have to make sure to drink a lot of water to help eliminate the toxins from the fasting they can cause constipation
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    I am a totaly newbie at the IF lifestyle, but I am really liking what I am learning and I am enjoying the process, so far!

My eating window is 12:30 pm - 6:30 pm. And, I'm eating at a deficit (fat loss) which FINALLY seems to be pushing the scale down, after about a 3 month plateau. So, it's a win-win at this time!
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    I started IF yesterday on a 18/6 window of 12pm-6pm It was actually easier than I thought haha. But are you supposed to eat all of your calories in that eating window or just eat when you are hungry or want to?..I can eat a sandwich and have it stick around without getting hungry again for a good few hours.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I started IF yesterday on a 18/6 window of 12pm-6pm It was actually easier than I thought haha. But are you supposed to eat all of your calories in that eating window or just eat when you are hungry or want to?..I can eat a sandwich and have it stick around without getting hungry again for a good few hours.

You should still eat a good healthy amount of calories in your eating window. If you are trying to lose weight and have been eating a set number of calories to lose weight (TDEE - 20% for example) you should still aim for something similar when doing IF.

I eat between 1400 - 1600 calories a day between noon and 7pm and it's working well for me for weight loss.

With a smaller eating window it would be easier to under eat calories but try and make sure the amount you are getting is healthy. You can always add extra calories with things like nuts if your calories are too low but you aren't feeling overly hungry. If you are eating a healthy amount of calories within your eating window then just eat when you feel hungry.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm currently on week two of IF and love love it. I love having an eating window and do enjoy food much more down. I thought it would be hard consuming 1200-1400 calories in a 5 hour window but it is not. Lots of avocado and nuts and protein. I feel great so far. : O