Traveling

Options
On Friday, I'm traveling across the country to visit my grandmother. I'll be gone for a few days. This will be the first time since I've started using MFP that I haven't been home or had access to my "usual" foods. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for eating healthy while traveling? While I'm out there, I'm staying in a hotel that (at least last time) had a small kitchenette, so I can use that.

Thanks in advance!!
Kelly

Replies

• boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a road trip and before I left, I prepackaged a bunch of snacks in little bags and containers (soy nuts, raisins, pistachios, mini shredded wheat, etc) I then listed all of the items in my log under 'my meals' and titled it "road trip snacks.". At the beginning of the day I added "road trip snacks" meal to my diary and the whole list came up--then at the end of the day, I just deleted the things I didn't eat. Also, try planning where you're going to eat dinner by looking up nutrition info before you go out--many chain restaurants have nutrition charts on-line so you can select the healthiest choice. Also bring along some measuring cups and spoons to refill your snack containers...I bought some plastic containers and wrote on the lid the serving size and calorie count for the item it contained.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great advice above.

My advice is - don't let yourself get too hungry. Grab fruit and snack on it whenever it's available. I find I 'save myself for dinner' when traveling, if you wait for mealtimes then there is nothing healthy available you'll end up over-eating.