Words/phrases you hate...

Options

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    expecially instead of especially, axe instead of ask, suposably instead of supposedly, than in place of then, expresso instead of espresso, dethaw, pellow instead of pillow, melk instead of milk.
    on the other hand i live in the north and have been told we have a cheese accent and pronounce things like college as callege, and dollar as dallar....lol i dont hear it though....
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Meow, that one doesn't bother me. (<3 Super Troopers)
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    YOLO

proactive (this is SO overused at my work!)

irregardless...its regardless people...you add the "ir" and its a double negative!

using funky spelling to try to be cute, such as, "Kids Kastle" or "Kopy Kat"

writing "should of" or "would of" instead of should've or would've.

supposebly drives me insane.
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    amazeballs.

I'm a nurse. I've seen some balls. none have ever struck me as amazing.
    not the big ones, not the little ones, not the lopsided ones, not the low-slungs or the high-and-tights.. Occasionally a set might be mildly interesting, but never amazing.

I know this is probably someones most hated expression...but....OMG ROFL! My best friend is a nurse this is exactly what she would say about that particular word!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    when people say "meow" instead of "now"

Does this actually happen??? :laugh:
    ya, for example "I want school to be over right MEOW so I can go to the beach"

This is a tribute to "Super Troopers", and I find it hilarious.
    I don't

Not so funny meow is it.

It's not annoying if you're TRYING for it to annoy me

No need to get all riled up meow.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My bf always says "calm down deary" when I'm annoyed - makes me a thousand times worse
    My work colleague says "absolutely" at least 10 times in every telephone conversation he has. Oh and "at the end of the day" - what? at the end of the day what??? It's night time??
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    oh and my coworker who says "not for nothin' " every time she's b!tching about something.

ps...I love this thread..its like free therapy!
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    when people say "I could care less"
    should be "I COULDN'T care less"
    drives me crazy

Me too!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    "preggers" and "hubs"
    And all the others..."hubby", "wifey", "Pregs",

Or when parents call each other "mom or dad" (in front of their children and soon they start doing it even when the kids are not there)
    The wife says to the husband, in front of the kids, "So, daddy, should we all go the park today?"

It creeps me out.
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    New today, on the radio the local rock station morning show host kept saying "woke up dead" or "wake up dead"

I also dislike epic - I have used it on occasion but it's for something that the word truly means.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epic

Also, hate hate hate this one: "uber" - I have friends that use it CONSTANTLY!!!! Ick, just stop.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the word "moist".

You need to watch HIMYM. There is a whole episode around hating that word.

What the heck is "HIMYM"??? Damn...Did I mention how annoying random pop-culture related accronyms are?

How I Met Your Mother....its a tv show and its great. The episode about the word moist is epic! Haha jk;) It is pretty funny though.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Or when parents call each other "mom or dad" (in front of their children and soon they start doing it even when the kids are not there)
    The wife says to the husband, in front of the kids, "So, daddy, should we all go the park today?"

It creeps me out.

I do this, but not to that extent. When I am talking to my daughter, I will refer to her father as "Daddy", as in, "Did you talk to Daddy about that?"
    But I never call him that when I talk to him, ew.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the word "moist".

You need to watch HIMYM. There is a whole episode around hating that word.

What the heck is "HIMYM"??? Damn...Did I mention how annoying random pop-culture related accronyms are?

How I Met Your Mother....its a tv show and its great. The episode about the word moist is epic! Haha jk;) It is pretty funny though.

was it legen.......wait for it.........dary?
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    "Journey" I hate that word with a passion. I was on a cancer journey...are you kidding me?? I could just punch anyone who says 'journey'. :sick:

Any way you want it
    That's the way you need it
    Any way you want it
    Any way you want it
    That's the way you need it
    Any way you want it

Now that kind of Journey is all right~! :laugh:
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For me, so much depends on context. Chat speak is fine for chat rooms/gaming situations, but not for what should be professional or work-related conversations and e-mails. Same for text-speak. LOL and BFF are fine in those situations, but I detest when they are spoken aloud. JUST SAY IT AND QUIT TRYING TO BE CUTE ABOUT IT!!

My biggest irritation is when signs or other publicly-displayed items have spelling or grammatical errors. Errors don't bother me as much in a situation such as this (message boards, texting, or other informal communication), but if somebody spent money to have a sign made or is putting something out there for public reading, they need to make sure it is correct. Otherwise, they just make themselves (or their business) look stupid.

I really do not like "gingers" when used as a derogatory term. My name is Ginger!! I've heard every joke you can imagine since I was a kid (gingerbread, gingersnap, gingerale, Gilligan's Island and Fred Estaire references, even had a cousin call me Gingervitis). Besides, what's wrong with someone having red hair? I always wanted to be a redhead--I think it's beautiful!

"Retarded"--as an insult = not OK. As a medical diagnosis/statement of fact = OK
    "F-bombs"--not my favorite word, but sometimes it's the only word that works. I do not like it when it's used in every sentence and as every form of speech (noun, verb, and adjective).
    "Early" when given as a time. Example: I ask my husband what time he wants to leave, or what time he needs to wake up. His response is "early." Dammit, I need an actual TIME! As in "7:00"! My alarm does not have an "early" setting!
  • nettersaurus
    Options
    This thread has given me a complex. I'm not a huge offender of a bunch of these words/phrases but now whenever I happen to say one of them, I catch myself and make a mental note to try not to say it again.

Haha! :laugh:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    This thread has given me a complex. I'm not a huge offender of a bunch of these words/phrases but now whenever I happen to say one of them, I catch myself and make a mental note to try not to say it again.

Haha! :laugh:

haha. that's hilarious. I say a lot of these things.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    it is what it is..........makes me want to van damme a window everytime i hear it