Protein Powders ??!

Options
I've been looking into getting a protein powder either whey or soy protein. I'm looking for something cheap, affordable, and for everyday use. Is there any products that are low in carbs and sugar, and helps build muscle?! I have been looking at 100% Whey Gold Standard, and Lean Dessert Protein BSN. I'm still not exactly sure how to shop for protein powders so if anyone can help me out, and give me options of what they use. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use GNC brand protein powders, I used to use their regular one and have upgraded to the AMP one (it has 90 calories per scoop as opposed to the 100something in the regular version, with less carbs as well.). Ive been starting to look around myself for others but seem to keep going back to GNC brand protein.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I've experienced.

Spirutein is really, really yummy. It's expensive though, and hard to find. Their chai latte and chocolate flavors are great.

Walmart Brand Whey Protein in Vanilla and Chocolate were okay, but the cholesterol level is through the roof for one scoop (27% of daily cholesterol). That kind of freaked me out. I'm not sure if other powders have such high levels.

I'm looking for a lower calorie powder. The Walmart brands are 140 for a scoop, which I think is too high. So I'll keep an eye on this thread =)
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy really. Just take a look at the label. GNC is a safe bet, but can be pricey. Costco usually has some that are a bit more reasonable cost wise. You should be able to get some that are 20g protein and less than 2g of carbs/sugar per scoop if you shop around.

Some say there are certain benefits to one vs the other (soy vs whey etc), but I never got into it that deep.

I have a GNC bucket on my desk right now, and a Costco bucket at home. Both taste good IMO.
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I buy the Body Fortress from Walmart, I mix it with vanilla Silk soymilk....My fav is the chocolate peanut butter- tastes like a Reese Cup>>cost about 15 bucks I think. HUGE container. Daily serving size is 2 scoops, but I use one- 27 grams of protein
  • annathomas88
    annathomas88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has one in vanilla and chocolate at 100 calories a scoop.
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The one I use is Biochem Vanilla Whey. It mixes really well, has no fat, very low carbs, and 20g of protein for 110 calories. They also have it on sale at amazon, $23.50 for a 29oz can

http://www.amazon.com/Biochem-100%-Protein-Vanilla-Ounce/dp/B0017ODT0Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1349185899&sr=1-1&keywords=biochem+vanilla+whey

Hope this helps!
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sonja, I use the Body Fortress (vanilla) from wal-mart. It is whey protien. I use a heaping tablespoon (Not scoop) in my oatmeal every morning. I really like it.
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    Is the protein content you list for the powder alone, or does it include the milk?
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I buy the Body Fortress from Walmart, I mix it with vanilla Silk soymilk....My fav is the chocolate peanut butter- tastes like a Reese Cup>>cost about 15 bucks I think. HUGE container. Daily serving size is 2 scoops, but I use one- 27 grams of protein

I like that brand also. Cookies and cream for me, mixed with unsweetened almond mile. It comes out to about 170 calories.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into getting a protein powder either whey or soy protein. I'm looking for something cheap, affordable, and for everyday use. Is there any products that are low in carbs and sugar, and helps build muscle?! I have been looking at 100% Whey Gold Standard, and Lean Dessert Protein BSN. I'm still not exactly sure how to shop for protein powders so if anyone can help me out, and give me options of what they use. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

I use Walmart's Body Fortress Whey strawberry flavor. It taste good and it's cheap:drinker:
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    I have Jillian Michaels Whey Protein in Vanilla. I add it to my smoothies, but then I have a lot of flavors going on. I want to finish this one & see which one I get next.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've been using Trutein, amazing flavor. 40% Whey, 40% Casein, 20% Egg White. 120 calories 25g protein 2g carb
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I Use Optimum Health, Unltimate Whey Protein; its pretty is good. Nice flavours.
    About £26 for 2kg bag, although they have just added VAT to protein powder so might be a bit more.
    Try discount-supplements.co.uk
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I Use Optimum Health, Unltimate Whey Protein; its pretty is good. Nice flavours.
    About £26 for 2kg bag, although they have just added VAT to protein powder so might be a bit more.
    Try discount-supplements.co.uk

Sorry just realise you're in the US!
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just getting started with protein powder also - so i'm bookmarking for later!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Is the protein content you list for the powder alone, or does it include the milk?

Nutritional value of the powders is for powder only. You can mix it with whatever you like.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    carnivor beef protein. has creatine for muscle building 0g sugar 6g carbs and lactose free(no bloating). the chocolate tastes like chocolate jell-o pudding
  • ajpeardon
    ajpeardon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just bought Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein from Walgreens. It was 14.99 last week when I bought vanilla and 21.99 this week when I bought the chocolate. 26 protein and low card and fat per scoop. Both taste ok and since I have been drinking 2 a day since last Thursday the scale has finally started moving down again!!!! I add a half pack of an orange flavor crystal light drink stick to the vanilla and it is really good! I also mix 1/2 milk an 1/2 water to cut down on carbs and foam from shaking it up-working well for me. The tubs have 25 servings each. Walgreens also now has points that add us to get $5.00 coupons to use on future purchases and no special trip to find a GNC! Good luck.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I buy the body fortress vanilla creme whey isolate... 1 scoop has 30 grams of protein and 1 carb... I add that to my shakeology in the morning.. it usually runs about 21 bucks for a containter at walmart