Exercise before breakfast?

Options
I tried this on a different forum, but no answers, so many I posted it in the wrong place, let me try again....

I am a type one diabetic, so I eat breakfast and lunch at roughly the same time every day. Typically, I wake up around 6am, have breakfast at 10am and lunch at 2pm. I want to start an exercise class at the Y, but it is at 9am.....is it ok to do an hour of exercise and then eat breakfast? Before ten am, all I have is tea and water.

Replies

• ZudiLo
    ZudiLo Posts: 57
    Options
    YES!!!!!
    It may actually be better for you. Several studies suggest exercising while your body is low on food may be a good way to trim excess fat. Muscles usually get their energy from carbohydrates, which is why athletes like Lance Armstrong and Michael Phelps scarf down enormous amounts of food before a race. But if you haven't eaten before exercising, your body doesn't have many carbohydrates in reserve. That forces it to burn fat instead, scientists say.
  • MissJenova
    Options
    I think it's fine if you're doing cardio. I have heard that it can be beneficial (though I won't quote anything being that I don't remember).

If it's strength I would eat first, but that's just me.
  • BeaterEater
    Options
    I occasionally exercise before eating anything for the day (when I don't wake up hungry :) and don't have any problems. Because you are a Type I though, I would really worry about lows. All that exertion can really lower your blood glucose, especially on an empty stomach.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I tried this on a different forum, but no answers, so many I posted it in the wrong place, let me try again....

I am a type one diabetic, so I eat breakfast and lunch at roughly the same time every day. Typically, I wake up around 6am, have breakfast at 10am and lunch at 2pm. I want to start an exercise class at the Y, but it is at 9am.....is it ok to do an hour of exercise and then eat breakfast? Before ten am, all I have is tea and water.

Uhh I'm staying away from this one, ask your doctor! I don't know the ins and outs of diabetes.

Quick edit, I'm hypoglycemic, and I feel like crap if I exercise on an empty stomach. My body has no fuel, I have no energy. Even a banana will get me going right in the morning before a workout.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of people say it is better to eat before a workout (Jillian Michaels is one of them). The idea is that if you have no sugar in your system for energy, your body is going to burn protein (muscle). However, I don't like to eat before I exercise, and I think I've been doing okay. I generally eat within 30 minutes of working out.

I don't know if there are any differences for somebody with Type I diabetes, though. Something to ask your doctor maybe?

(Just curious, my SIL is Type II and if she doesn't eat soon after getting up, her sugars skyrocket, is that not the case for Type I?)
  • siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    just from personal experience,i perform better with something in my stomach, but i dont think there is any harm in not eating, i know some people prefer to exercise on a pretty much empty stomach. just do exercise on a empty stomach to begin with and if you feel faint or tired you can try adding a light snack just before exercising :)
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's alright or not, but I exercise before breakfast most days. Get up go for a 3 or 4 mile walk come home and have breakfast. But I am not diabetic, so I'm not sure how that would change things. I guess check your sugar before you leave and if it's in bounds go for it. If not, have a light healthy snack- go exercise and have then have breakfast as you normally would. Hopefully some medical dietician type person can give a more appropriate answer. :flowerforyou:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I would try it- see if I feel like I'm dying- if so then eat a protien bar/shake before class. Try the 9AM class- if it's fine then, well, fine. If not then eat a little something before class. I doubt it will hurt to try it a few times both ways and see what works for you. Or ask your doctor/nutritionalist- since I have no clue how the eating time thing affects diabetes but they do.

I am the opposte- hypoglycemic- I have to eat pretty much as soon as my feet hit the floor to keep from being all dizzy/headachey.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Check your sugar before and after. And keep a sugared beverage on hand in case your blood sugar bottoms out. Take it easy the first few times, to see how you do. If your blood sugar doesn't crash, push it a little more the next day.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I typically workout before I eat. I get up as 6, drink some water, and then workout from 6:30-7:30 after which I immediately (within 10 minutes) have breakfast. However, if you're getting up at 6 and not working out til 9, you really should have something. Even a small banana would be good. Actually, *they* say it's important to eat breakfast within an hour or so of rising. Waiting 4 hours to eat breakfast seems close to skipping breakfast and going straight to a mid morning snack.

I'm not sure how your diabetes will affect everything though so it may be good to talk to your doc. But I'd recommend having a banana or something similar around 7 or 8 before you workout. Heck, you could really have a full healthy breakfast at 6:30 and have plenty of time to digest before you workout at 9. The only reason I don't eat before I workout is that I simply don't have time in the morning to do so. If I didn't have to workout until 9, I'd eat breakfast when I got up at 6.

I hope that's helpful!
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I can't do it. I just have no energy for it in the morning. Noon works best for me.
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about diabetes, so I'd ask the Doc first. But from my personal experience I love working out before breakfast, I do have a small snack though. I'm at the gym for 5:30 am usually. I have a banana or two (I'm a big guy, so its not much for me) before depending on how I'm feeling, and I don't eat three hours before I go to bed.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Whether it is right or not, I do it daily. I exercise at 0530 every morning and I just can't eat first. I would make myself sick. I have tried eating a little something but I always regret it. I just eat afterward.
  • TeamNoExcuses
    Options
    I like to jump up and get into my exercise and then have a nice breakfast like oatmeal.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Uhh I'm staying away from this one, ask your doctor! I don't know the ins and outs of diabetes.

+1 talk to your doctor first. I run before breakfast but I'm not diabetic.
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    Options
    You might want to talk to a physician first. (I know, I sound like the beginning credits of a workout dvd:) But because you have diabetes, I don't know how working out and then eating will effect you. For me personally, I like to work out first when I wake up, just because food makes me feel heavy and I usually don't feel like working out after I eat. Also, I eat much less if I've worked out first.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are going to train fasted and don't want to lose muscle, I would suggest investing in some BCAA supplements, otherwise you'll end up consuming muscle when training.

I won't comment on the other stuff like the diabetes things because that's not something I'd know about.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of varying answers to this one. Personally, I have 1-2 cups of coffee first thing in the morning, then do my workout and then i eat. It works for me but as i say, you may find people out there who disagree with me. My reason for doing this is just that i have never felt like eating first thing in the morning and i like to do my workout early.

Eating before working out helps you to have more energy to get the most out of your workout, but it's important not to have too much if you are going to eat before. For short bursts of exercise, eat a faster release sugar about 30 mins before but for longer workouts, like a football game etc its a good idea to have a slower release sugar about an hour or two before.
    Some people find they experience cramping if they eat before a workout. This could be because they are eating the wrong foods or not waiting long enough between eating and exercising.

Whether eating before or not, its important to drink water during your workout and to re-fuel effectively afterwards with a carbohydrate, water and protein source to replace glycogen lost during exercise and protein to help repair and maintain muscle mass.

Do what works for you, but always listen to your body at all times!
    Jx

Also: as you're diabetic, see your GP or dietitian to be sure you're doing the best for your condition.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is pointless. . your diabetes is the main issue here. You should talk to your doctor and have a plan for managing any lows you might have while exercising. My scant knowledge on the disease leads me to think this is not a place for rookie advice. Talk to the docs and get their advice!!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm not qualified to comment on your particular situation, but exercising in a fasted state is great for fat burning so long as it is low-intensity, like going for an hour walk. Low-intensity exercise primarily relies on fat stores for energy.

High intensity exercise is dependent on glucose. If the body's glycogen reserves are low, the body has to convert amino acids, among other things, to glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. This can pose a risk to muscle.

Many people who engage in fasted exercise, no matter the intensity, often supplement with branched chain amino acids to avoid muscle loss.