need some help....

Options
I had a really high calorie day yesterday (double my caloires) and on and off these past 2 weeks i have been consuming anywhere from 1-300 calories extra a day. I am trying to stick to my 1200 now and i feel so hungry what can i do?

Replies

• AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water and concentrate on including fiber-rich foods in your daily diet. Fiber can make you full and the feeling lasts longer. :) The first few days are always the hardest, but if you hang in there, your body will get used to it and soon, 1200 calories will be easy to stick to.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I cut out cheese(sort of). cheese has an unbelievable amount of calories and fat per 1 oz serving. I use cheese very sparingly now
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    SO I SHOULDNT GO OVER THE 1200 EVEN IF ITS HEALTHY FOOD?
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Actually, you should be eating protein at every meal. I eat every 2 to 3 hours keeping my calories between 300 to 500 for a meal and under 200 calories for a snack. Protein is what will keep your metabolism burning. Try filling in your food diary the day before so you can see where you might be over or under and then tweak before you eat not after when it's too late.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your q was in response to my post or not, but if you are worried about calcium, cheese isn't the best place to get it as the fat hinders it's absorbtion. Nonfat yogurt, milk or even calcium fortified soy products are better anyway and have less calories per oz
  • thuelskamp
    thuelskamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out your BMR and then figure out your calorie needs:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Depending on your results, you may still be able to lose weight and keep a little bit higher calorie goal. I started my goal at 1457 calories and moved down to 1350 after losing 6 pounds. I know I wouldn't want to have to stick to 1200.
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Examine your diet to find where you can trade "cheap" foods (e.g., juices) for foods that will fill you up more. Water is a great suggestion. Remember that it takes time to readjust, so don't feel too guilty too soon. I had difficulty getting down to 1200 calories when I started here, so I exercised in order to give me the calories cushion I needed until I was able to learn how to make proper life changes in my diet.

What does your food diary look like? What kind of foods do you crave? This may help us give you an idea of where you can make changes that will work for you.

Keep your head up!
  • peggyann47
    Options
    Hi. Everyone gets off track. As long as you can get back on, forget the day before. Are you exercising? If you are, and you should be, you can actually consume more than the 1200. Depending on how much you exercise determines how many more calories you can consume. Fill in the exercise section and it will tell you how many calories you have burned and therefore how many more calories you can eat to stay within that 1200 limit. Does that make sense?
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    why does mfp suggest 1200? if i do my bmr it is 1758...what does this mean???
  • TwentyTen
    Options

It is calculating in the "deficit" depending on how much per week you want to lose. I changed my setting from 1.5 lbs a week to just 1lb , because I was hungry and felt I needed a few more calories in a day.
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I get really hungry too sometimes and have no calories left. When this happens I eat a granola bar 90-100 calories and then I exercise to go under my calorie limit. I've tried drinking water, but doesn't seem to help me. Good luck, I KNOW how hard this is!:smile:
  • thuelskamp
    thuelskamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Ok, so now you just need to figure out your calorie goal. There's a link on the BMR website:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

For example, if you're lightly active:

1758 x 1.375 = 2417.25 calories per day to maintain your weight

Since there's 3500 calories in a pound and 500 x 7 days = 3500

2417.25 - 500 = 1917.25 calories per day to lose 1 pound a week

When I did all of this and manually entered my calories on MFP I think it told me I would only lose 0.4 or 0.5 pounds per week even though I was losing about 1 or 1.5 pounds on average, so I'll stick to the BMR method. :smile: