WOMEN ONLY.... Please....

Options
First of all... sorry for this topic, but I'm just curious. I know there are women out there, besides me, that have it rough when TOM visits. By rough, I mean almost debilitating cycles. Cramps that feel like they are ripping you apart... etc. My question is... Is there anything that any of you can do to decrease this pain? Right now, it feels as if I am almost hemorrhaging. I can barely walk. It hurts to sit. And, at the moment, I just want to cry. However... I am having to work. I don't have any extra time to ask off.

Unfortunately, my mother has told me that she also had it this rough when she was younger. As did my grandmother. My grandmother would have to be sedated. My mom would have to miss work and/ or school every time for a week at a time. I force myself to work... but, it's absolute torture. Again, is there anything to reduce the symptoms.

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    First of all... sorry for this topic, but I'm just curious. I know there are women out there, besides me, that have it rough when TOM visits. By rough, I mean almost debilitating cycles. Cramps that feel like they are ripping you apart... etc. My question is... Is there anything that any of you can do to decrease this pain? Right now, it feels as if I am almost hemorrhaging. I can barely walk. It hurts to sit. And, at the moment, I just want to cry. However... I am having to work. I don't have any extra time to ask off.

Unfortunately, my mother has told me that she also had it this rough when she was younger. As did my grandmother. My grandmother would have to be sedated. My mom would have to miss work and/ or school every time for a week at a time. I force myself to work... but, it's absolute torture. Again, is there anything to reduce the symptoms.

I don't have it bad at all, but besides taking pain relievers, I've heard that exercise can help. I don't know if it's true, but it's good to try.
    Sorry you have it so rough. that sucks. :(
  • rsethridge
    rsethridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have heard that certain types of birth control helps with these types of scenarios. For example, the Mirena IUD has been known to make a huge difference for some friends of mine. Try talking to your doctor. Your life should not revolve around your TOM.
  • danae16
    danae16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've heard the the pill can really help with this. To be honest - if it is that excruciating I would see a doctor. I'm not sure how old you are, but it could be a sign of a more serious issue. When I was younger I had bad cramps (not to the extent you are talking) and going on the pill (a low dose version) was very helpful. Also - reduce the caffeine during this time. I've found it makes it worse. Exercise can loosen up your muscles, but I understand just wanting to curl up in a little ball.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I survive mine by taking 2 Extra Strength Advil Liqui-gels every 4-5 hours on those days. I can't take time off of work either so that's the only thing I've found that works to ease the intensity. Thankfully I only have one really brutal day each month and if I'm medicated enough, I do still get my workout in and feel better after.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have heard that certain types of birth control helps with these types of scenarios. For example, the Mirena IUD has been known to make a huge difference for some friends of mine. Try talking to your doctor. Your life should not revolve around your TOM.

Unfortunately, I've been on birth control before. It raised my blood pressure too much. That was only one pill, though. I'm supposed to go to my doctor for another check up sometime this month. I can ask her then if there's another one I can try.
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I find those heat in the microwave buckwheat pillows work. I have one in my drawer at work, it seems to relax the muscles there.

Wear loose clothing, jeans seems to 'cut in'.
    I also get very bad lower back pain, so I use a shiatsu massager I bought from a website called Argos. It's about £60 and I find it helps loosen the muscles so the cramps don't feel too bad.

Also my friends has it so bad she can't even function so she invested some money in a TENS machine, they give it to mothers before labour kicks in I think. She said it's been a lifesaver.

Also swimming I hear is an excellent exercise too (eventhough it's probably the last thing you'd want to do).
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Start working out 7 days a week. That's what I've done, and I've lost my period! I'm still at a healthy weight though! Not the advice that you want, but I had to throw that out there!
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've heard the the pill can really help with this. To be honest - if it is that excruciating I would see a doctor. I'm not sure how old you are, but it could be a sign of a more serious issue. When I was younger I had bad cramps (not to the extent you are talking) and going on the pill (a low dose version) was very helpful. Also - reduce the caffeine during this time. I've found it makes it worse. Exercise can loosen up your muscles, but I understand just wanting to curl up in a little ball.

Yes, Dana is right. Caffein does aggravate it and so does alcohol.

Foods To Avoid With Menstrual Cramps

This is another way to help ease menstrual cramps, and to prevent painful periods. Caffeine and alcohol should be completely avoided, which to some maybe a hard thing to give up but your body and mind will be better off in doing so. Try to eat smaller meals more frequently this helps to avoid dips in your blood sugar which can make you feel sluggish. Red meats and dairy should be avoided as well, they actually increase the production of prostaglandins which contributes to menstrual cramps.
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    If you are done having kids, ask your gyny about endometrial ablation. It is wonderful!
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    My TOMs sound very similar to what you are experiencing. They would get so painful that sometimes I would black out. I consulted a Gynecologist and explained to that not only did I resemble a slaughter house for minimum of 10 days a month that the pain would prevent me from going to work, eating, functioning.

The solution for me was to have a hysterectomy. I am only 36 w/o children but I was willing to make that sacrifice to see what 'normal' felt like. I had my surgery when I was 34, two years later I KNOW I made the RIGHT choice. It is amazing how much money I am saving by not having to buy cases of Tampons and Pads and New panties and pants and sheets and car-seat covers and slip covers for the couch!!

I'm not saying that it will be right for you but for me, it has been wonderful. :)

As far as the pain, I found that whole milk always helped me with the pain. :) Good luck to you!!
  • AmberJo1984
    Options

Yes, Dana is right. Caffein does aggravate it and so does alcohol.

Foods To Avoid With Menstrual Cramps

This is another way to help ease menstrual cramps, and to prevent painful periods. Caffeine and alcohol should be completely avoided, which to some maybe a hard thing to give up but your body and mind will be better off in doing so. Try to eat smaller meals more frequently this helps to avoid dips in your blood sugar which can make you feel sluggish. Red meats and dairy should be avoided as well, they actually increase the production of prostaglandins which contributes to menstrual cramps.

I actually have no problem with the alcohol and caffeine. I have never touched alcohol, and I haven't had caffeine (other than occasional chocolate) in so long (I don't even remember when). The red meat problem I didn't know about though. My mother actually grills out steaks at least once a week. I'll tell her to cut that out.

Thank you all... for all of your advice. Anymore advice is still welcome.
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    If you are done having kids, ask your gyny about endometrial ablation. It is wonderful!

I'm 28; but, I've never had any kids. I have PCOS. I know that effects this... but, I didn't think it would cause this much cramping. My doctors have never discussed it much with me, though. I probably should find another doctor.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    If you don't want to get pregnant...Depo Provera stops them. I had the same problem until I was 16..started Depo, never had a period after that. I would miss school, and stay at home curled in a ball wrapped around a heating pad.....soooo bad.
  • ThisisSteph04
    ThisisSteph04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Birth control pill helped ease painful TOM for myself & other women in my family. Might also want to suggest taking a multi that contains folic acid.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I Started talking birth control for this problem, and it helps significantly. I used to spend at least 1 day a week laying on the bathroom floor vomiting because the pain was so bad. However, birth control also promotes weight gain, and inhibits your sex drive. Honestly, a trade off I would take.

Now, I get minor bloating but I rarely even need to take advil for the cramps. I definitely still have the mood swings though.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    sex and exercising can really help. I would suggest going to your doctor. I have endometriosis and get insane cramps. Once on birth control they helped a little bit. Best of luck to you!
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    birth control. i had horrible horrible periods that made it impossible to live for a week each month. now i take seasonale birth control continous. when it is time for the sugar pills i skip them and start a new pack. i have the best life ever now.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    grrrreeeaaaat.....I just had to be nosey and see what the topic was. (slaps self upside the head)....and Uncle TOM? I thought it was Aunt Flo
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I suggest asking your doctor. Why suffer when there must be a medical answer.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was having extremely heavy periods & bleeding throughout the month, with cramping - though not as bad as yours, it sounds like. My doctor attributed it to my weight. She said that fat tissue stores hormones, specifically estrogen, which had caused my endometrial lining to become overgrown. Losing weight would help, but she suggested either a Mirena or an endometrial ablation (cauterizing the uterine lining to eliminate the endometrium). I chose the Mirena, and have had great results.
    At any rate, I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. If this doctor tells you that there's nothing that can be done, find another. There is a solution.