Fitbit vs BodyMedia, etc.

Options

Replies

• charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to hear of the bra trick, I actually stopped wearing my BMF armband because people were so f'n nosey asking "what that thing is". It got really annoying after awhile.

I loved the BMF when I was wearing it though - I loved how it tracked my sleep - and my high intensity/low intensity and steps.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I loved my bodybugg, same tech as bodymedia. The only down side is that it is really obvious. But it's also more accurate than fitbit because it is measuring hor hard YOU are working, not how hard an average person your size is working. When I was wearing my bodybugg, it was perfectly accurate. I ate 500 less than what it said and I lost bang on a pound a week. After 6 months, though, I felt I had a good grasp of my patterns of calorie burns and how my real burns compare with machines and all that, so I stopped wearing it and enjoyed tank tops for the summer :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Hey all -
    I just joined MyFitnessPal, but I also work for BodyMedia ;) I've learned so much from reading feedback and seeing all your thoughts! I love exercise and have been a fitness enthusiast for a looong time.

I wanted to let you know that the technology is the best out there for an affordable price - less than that smartphone that you can pair it with! But in regards to the lifting, burpees, yoga, etc: we're working on an innovation to the product and when it's ready, when you plug your BodyMedia FIT into your computer, it will prompt an update and then you're good to go! No new device to buy, no hardware to replace. I can't wait for when I get more accurate info on my Crossfit workouts. But on my running and walking, and just regular activity throughout the day, this is very accurate!

For all you MFP users: how could we, at BodyMedia make your experience better (BodyMedia FIT alone, or in conjunction with MFP)?

Thanks!!

The main thing I can think of is being able to import our food diary from MFP. Logging food on both sites isn't practical, and MFP's database and entry system are far superior.

Agreed. I was just logging on MFP and once a week entering the MFP totals into the other program.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to be as accurate at recording exercise as a HRM. I've found the best combination for me is to wear my fitbit and use it to keep track of my daily activity and use a HRM whenever i do exercise.
    If all you care about using one of these devices then is daily activity and having a site workout your TDEE for you and thus what you should be eating, then fitbit wins hands down because it is:

- much smaller, not every bra can fit any of these kinds of devices, at least you can clip a fitbit on to the waist of your pants and nobody notices at all. I don't feel mine at all at any time. I'm sure the same thing can be said for the body media fit, even it if is in bra as it is much bigger.

- but the #1 reason a fitbit is much better is that is is a one-off cost. You pay $100 or now you can get the $60 model which would be perfectly fine for almost everything i think i just doesn't track stairs is all.
    But with the bodymedia and bodybug you have to pay an ongoing subscription to use their site. So that adds up to WAY more money than getting a fitbit, or even getting a fitbit + a HRM.

So that is why i chose the fitbit and i do not regret it one bit. if i were buying one now i would seriously consider getting the cheaper $60 model just because tracking stairs i don't think is really all that important and it has the benefit of not only being significantly cheaper but also it has a battery that lasts for months, whereas the regular more expensive fitbits have to be charged up every few days and it is easy to forget it and leave it on the charger.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BodyMedia
    Options
    Hi,

Glad to see that you are shopping around. I work for BodyMedia and we pride ourselves on being the most accurate device on the market for calculating your caloric burn. Since our device is worn on the body, we can calculate burn using information gathered directly from your own body. And because we use four different sensors to measure more variables, we can be sure to give you the most accurate read out there. And since you are a walker, we also keep track of your step count!

Some of our customers have been weighing in here. If you’d like to hear what more of our customers think, check out our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/BodyMediaFIT).

Hope this helps!

-Laurie
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow! The fact that it is on backorder would mean to me that it is very popular...I know mine is very popular to me, I love it. You won't be sorry you bought it. Hope it doesn't take too long for you to get it, well worth the $100.
  • juliemac24
    Options
    I agree with the other comment about being able to download food journal into Body Media.
    Body Media's food journal is horrible....the database has very few common food items. MFPs food database is wonderful and extremely thorough. I love the information the Body Media gives though, so I am only using it for calorie burn, sleep habits, etc...
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The one thing that made me choose a Fitbit over Bodybugg and BFM is using the Fitbit site is free.
  • tabriz281
    Options
    Does the BodyMedia or Bodybugg work with the Motorola Razr and/or new ipad?
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    May want to wait a few months. MIO is supposed to come out in a month or two with the "Alpha" which is a wrist continuous HRM for runners. Also on the horizon is the "Basis", Google them.

The fit bit give you no extra calories for stairs though it does count them but you still get 10 feet of "Steps" not effort. The body media will give your credit for effort but at an ongoing cost to use you data in a monthly fee.

Bluetooth Low Energy "BLE" chest straps are out and useable for smart phones and will not use as much power. A HRM with a gps will also work well. Fit bit and Body media a attempts to have a full daily count of calories and in that respect Body Media or even Body Bugg do better than Fit bit just have a high coast initially and ongoing.

I use a fit bit and a HRM to get the best compromise at the lowest cost. If the Body media person is still reading an promises free web service for the life of the unit I will go that way. LOL
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit and chose it over the BMF for a few reasons:
    1. It's tiny! I can tuck in in my bra, waistband, and nobody can see it. <-- this means that I actually WEAR IT, which I wouldn't with an armband.
    2. No ongoing subscription.
    3. The galvanic measurements with BMF wouldn't help me as much, because I sweat more than average due to medications I'm on. So I would constantly be getting false readings.

I think any of these devices is worthwhile if they make more you mindful of your daily activity!
  • cr8zyamy
    cr8zyamy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey all -
    I just joined MyFitnessPal, but I also work for BodyMedia ;) I've learned so much from reading feedback and seeing all your thoughts! I love exercise and have been a fitness enthusiast for a looong time.

I wanted to let you know that the technology is the best out there for an affordable price - less than that smartphone that you can pair it with! But in regards to the lifting, burpees, yoga, etc: we're working on an innovation to the product and when it's ready, when you plug your BodyMedia FIT into your computer, it will prompt an update and then you're good to go! No new device to buy, no hardware to replace. I can't wait for when I get more accurate info on my Crossfit workouts. But on my running and walking, and just regular activity throughout the day, this is very accurate!

For all you MFP users: how could we, at BodyMedia make your experience better (BodyMedia FIT alone, or in conjunction with MFP)?

Thanks!!
    Hey BodyMedia
    I'd love to see the bar code scanner option added to the mobile app like MFP has. Having to add so many foods is tedious and time consuming. Another adjustment I'd like to see is an option for shift workers in the sleep section, maybe a way to easily adjust the time "I go to sleep at.." for those of us with varying schedules.I am enjoying my BodyMedia link armband and I'm really looking forward to the update you described. Thanks for asking for feedback.
  • bombkitty
    bombkitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey all -

Thanks!!

The main thing I can think of is being able to import our food diary from MFP. Logging food on both sites isn't practical, and MFP's database and entry system are far superior.

THIS! That would be awesome.
  • cr8zyamy
    cr8zyamy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've worked the past 2 nights wearing my BodyMedia armband and was asked about it a total of 3 times. I was not wearing long sleeves, just my usual scrub top. Unless I specifically took the time to point it out, it was hardly noticed. I would like to see MFP and BodyMedia share nutritional data bases or cross platform data entry. As a previous respondent said, entry the information twice is tedious.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just enter the calories as a total to the BodyMedia sight. You still get the same info and it takes about 5 seconds to add calories only. I don't think I could log food anywhere but here since the database is so extensive.

Love my BodyMedia!
    ~S
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I never paid too much attention to how many calories I burned during the day until a friend gave me her Body Media device. From then on, I've been hooked. Last week I purchased a Fitbit Zip which I absolutely love!! With my Zip, I can see the numbers on the little screen. The Body Media has no screen to view. Also, my Zip downloads wirelessly. I have to remove the BM device and plug it in. The BM device didn't track the calories I burned while riding my bike unless I put it on my ankle. My Zip is quite small and I clip it to my bra so it is out of the way. The BM device is large and bulky on my arm. The Zip links to MFP. Last but not least, the BM device requires a subscription of $6.95 a month and the Zip does not.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hey all -

Thanks!!

THIS would be totally awesome...I love my body media FIT and I cant wait for the update you mentioned but haveing a way to enter calories here on MFP and Sync them to the bodymedai site would be totally awesome
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hey all -

Thanks!!

Also it would be great if you could sync the device from your phone to the activity manager. Having to plug the device into a windows machine or Mac is a drag. I actually no longer own a computer just a android tablet so I currently have to sync the device at work which is ok but not optimal

THIS would be totally awesome...I love my body media FIT and I cant wait for the update you mentioned but haveing a way to enter calories here on MFP and Sync them to the bodymedai site would be totally awesome