WOMEN ONLY.... Please....

Options

Replies

• lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and find a different birth control pill. There are tons on the market. My periods used to be excruciating and now they last 1-2 days (maybe) with hardly any cramping. In the meantime, take ibuprofen (my doctor said it was okay for me to take 800 mg at a time) and do what feels right for you.

Best of luck!
  • dexfatpants
    dexfatpants Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've heard the the pill can really help with this. To be honest - if it is that excruciating I would see a doctor. I'm not sure how old you are, but it could be a sign of a more serious issue. When I was younger I had bad cramps (not to the extent you are talking) and going on the pill (a low dose version) was very helpful. Also - reduce the caffeine during this time. I've found it makes it worse. Exercise can loosen up your muscles, but I understand just wanting to curl up in a little ball.

Totally agree! The pill did wonders for me! & as hard as it is exercise helps me as well.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Midol is my best friend. I don't get TOM every month I can go 2-3 months of longer and then out of the blue TOM comes for a visit. And when he does OMG I get the worst cramps known to man. I mean I am screaming and crying and in terrible pain. Well last month they were so bad that I ended up going to Wal-Mart and getting some Midol and the last time TOM came I took 2 and they were gone. So Midol works for me. Try it I hope it gets better for you.
  • ColonCh
    ColonCh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are several things that could be causing you pain and I would definately go see a GYN. Endometriosis is a very painful disease and there are several things they can do to minimize the pain. Although I do not have Endometriosis, I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis. Somewhat similar....after a year of major pain every month, I was given an IUD Mirena which has help immensely! Please go see a doctor.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have similar experiences every month. It got severe last year around this time and I found that I had a large cyst on my right ovary. I also suffer from PCOS and Endometriosis (confirmed with surgery). In January I had another surgery to remove the offending cyst along with the ovary and tube as well as endometriosis which was found almost everywhere even on my colon. I thought that would solve the problem but it hasn't.

If anything my periods are worse now. I am on the pill to control my symptoms but my cycle is anything but regular and when I have it (sometimes every two weeks) it's extremely heavy and excruciating. I've had to have narcotic pain medicine prescribed to me which I HATE taking, but sometimes I must in order to continue to work.

Things that I've found that help though are:

1. LOTS of water. I know this sounds funny since we all retain water during our TOM but it really does help me.
    2. A heating pad or a sock filled with rice and microwaved for five minutes. The heat helps loosen the muscles.
    3. Stretching as much as I'm able. I can't do much but it does help.

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. I truly sympathize and I agree that you should see your doctor to ensure that there's not a bigger issue.

Best of luck to you.
  • strawberryvixen
    strawberryvixen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about. I feel my cramps from my shoulders to my knees, and I always have to take at least 1 day off each month due to the inability to work through the pain.

Having said that, I have found a few things to help give some relief. If I know I can just lay there and try to sleep through the pain, I usually take Percogesic. It knocks me out; I think there's a little Benadryl in it or something.
    When it gets closer to TOM I take Salmon Oil supplements. Someone turned me onto this years ago, and for some strange reason it really helps soothe the cramps.

Also, heat. If you don't have one of those microwavable buckwheat pillows, you can quickly make one yourself. Take a tube sock and fill it about halfway full of rice. Tie it closed with a knot, or sew it shut if you have the inclination. Toss it in the microwave for a minute or two -- instant relief.

Really, you should talk with your doctor and see if it's something like endometriosis causing the pain or if you can just try a different birth control pill.

Take care - get some sleep - and feel better soon.
  • brissell
    brissell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps - even just going for walk. Drinks lots of water and eat frequent healthy snacks (every 1.5 hours).

The snacks keep your sugar levels constant. You might want to try eat foods rich in iron. Obviously during TOM, women's iron lowers a lot - I've read that there is a link to cramps and the amount of iron you are losing (IE heavy TOM).

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6924804_iron-can-affect-menstrual-cycle.html

When you exercise a lot like one writer suggested - you can reduce and sometimes eliminate your cycle.

Definitely see your GP ask about more BC pills and get your iron levels checked (maybe 2 times), during TOM and after.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Has your gynecologist checked you for fibroids?
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had horrible problems when I was younger with TOM and went on birth control. The problems went away, but the weight gain came. After I was done having kids I got an IUD and loved it, except for the weight gain. I finally stopped all medications and had the IUD removed. The weight went away slowly and then I started eating better (fresh foods, low pre-packages stuff) and realized I felt better during TOM.

No longer was I calling out sick one day a month thinking I was getting a stomach flu. It's still a little rough emotionally during that week, but nowhere near what it was before. I no longer need to call out sick or snack on Tylenol/Advil like candy. Plus it lasts 3 days now, not the 7-10 like it was before. I feel that getting rid of all the sodium laden foods, prepackaged crap, etc and exercising worked for me. I already don't eat much red meat or cow's milk dairy. I just have to fight the cravings a little more for sweets and salt when TOM comes knocking.
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have to second all those who said keep trying different types of birth control... I used to have debilitating cramps & nausea, etc. too, and after several years of birth control, I now have a pretty light, infrequent TOM (thank god!) that rarely comes with cramps anymore. However I don't have PCOS and I know that makes it a lot harder on you. if your doctor is not talking to you in-depth about PCOS get a new one! My cousin struggled with it for years but now has 2 kids she thought she wouldn't be able to have & a hysterectomy (which improved everything a ton) with the help of a good gynecologist. Hope you find some relief & answers.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Evening Primose Oil helps. So does the pill, or implant (you have to experiment to find the right one). I have much less trouble than I used to, but I found taking pain relief (ibuprofen) BEFORE the pain started very helpful - it's easier to prevent than to manage once it's really kicked in; and if you have bad cramping than Buscupan can be very helpful.
  • Hmmcglothl
    Hmmcglothl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis which was aggravated by my c-section last year. I feel for what you're going through. The only thing that helps me (because I want to avoid surgery at this stage in my life) is to lose weight and exercise. I feel like it decreases certain hormones circulating in my blood which relieves some of my symptoms. This is highly genetic in my family as generations upon generations have suffered with the same issues.
  • familyof9
    Options
    My mother, my sister and my two doaughters have very painful periods and painful ovulution. With both there are cravings, pain, irritability, bloating. Periods are 7days and lots of pads needed as our 'Tom' is a serial slasher. We have gone through mattesses, pills, herbs, etc. The best has been 8oz of red wine with dinner or large lunch if you have the time to relax afterwards.Don't do birth control, it has too many side effects. You are not alone. Feel better and if you can go for a short walk because exercise also does help. :flowerforyou:
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Could be fibroids, I would check it out with your MD.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any TOM symptoms at all from the time I was 16 to 21. I thought I was weird and abnormal for it because all these girls in high school would blab on and on about how awful it was, while I was just sitting there saying "well yeah, the bleeding is a major burden, but other than that I feel 100% normal". I never WISHED for the symptoms, but it made me worried that something was wrong since I didn't have them. Well, come 22/end of being 21 years old and out of nowhere I just got sick as can be...cramps that made me feel like I was going to throw up, sore back to where I could barely move, sore boobs that hurt even when I'd just give someone a hug...I could keep going with symptoms, but I'm sure ya'll know what I mean. I've had these issues every month when Aunt Flow visits ever since. I wish I could go back lol! I also get SO grumpy. I'm not the clingy type, I like my space, but just last TOM I started bawling my eyes out and throwing a temper tantrum all because my boyfriend was going to go see his family for a few hours. He invited me to go with, and I love his family so much, but I FREAKED out. I've never had that happen before, I couldn't explain what was going on. Sure enough, 2 hours later TOM came around lol. For me, Midol is a SAVIOR. I pop two in the mornings and my symptoms are essentially gone. It even helps me with bloating. Also, green tea helps me a lot. I've never read anything saying that it is proven to help with menstrual discomfort, but it makes a big difference for me for some reason. It eases the cramps a lot and helps with bloating. Maybe it's a comfort thing, green tea is what I go for whenever I'm upset, but it's worth a shot! Maybe it will help you too! :)
  • abbielea25
    Options
    Have you tried a heating pad? The heat will help to relax your uterine muscles. I get really bad cramps to where I feel like I can't move sometimes. So I'll take 4 ibuprofen and turn my heating pad on high and the cramps usually go away after about 10 minutes. You can also buy Thermacare Heat Wraps at the drug store that you can wear around during the day. I used to wear those in college and they worked pretty well.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    First of all... sorry for this topic, but I'm just curious. I know there are women out there, besides me, that have it rough when TOM visits. By rough, I mean almost debilitating cycles. Cramps that feel like they are ripping you apart... etc. My question is... Is there anything that any of you can do to decrease this pain? Right now, it feels as if I am almost hemorrhaging. I can barely walk. It hurts to sit. And, at the moment, I just want to cry. However... I am having to work. I don't have any extra time to ask off.

Unfortunately, my mother has told me that she also had it this rough when she was younger. As did my grandmother. My grandmother would have to be sedated. My mom would have to miss work and/ or school every time for a week at a time. I force myself to work... but, it's absolute torture. Again, is there anything to reduce the symptoms.

i have these....it feels like someone is eviscerating me with a dull spoon while someone else is opening up my spine like a zipper and splitting my back in half....VERY SLOWLY.....it IS debilitating. Last TOM my mom took me into the ER for IV pain meds because OTC's were not working....It's horrible.

You can have a uterine ablation done...that should help. I don't know if you need to be done with having kids to have that....as I am done with having kids, so I know it's an option for me. Talk to your doctor about it.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Have you been checked for PCOS? This is how I did feel when I was heavier but as I have lost weight it has gotten better. I, in fact, WAS hemorrhaging every three months or so month for nearly 2 1/2 weeks! :( Go to your doctor and talk this through!!
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    grrrreeeaaaat.....I just had to be nosey and see what the topic was. (slaps self upside the head)....and Uncle TOM? I thought it was Aunt Flo

Poor girl is in pain, so for her it's the aunt and uncle and grand father and secon cousins!

Some yoga positions can help relieve the pain.
    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yoga-and-health/yoga-for-dysmenorrhea-and-pms.asp
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking an internet forum instead of your OBGYN?

Go
    to
    the
    Gynecologist.

He may have to defer you to an endocrinologist if it's really bad, because it is more than likely hormonal. But don't flip out. Just get the visits done and stop thinking that anything the internet can tell you will trump your doctor's advice. Why have you spent months or years in debilitating pain? If you've already told a doctor about this, and they aren't helping, GET A NEW DOCTOR.